Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking of replacing my trusty old Yamaha S90ES

Jefsong

DanL - Thanks for the reply. I like how easy the multi-timbral layering appears to be on FA-08 and the fact it can play back samples. My only concern now is whether I can stomach the Roland piano (never been a fan of Roland sounds but always liked there operating systems).

Yamaha Montage 8, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

www.jeffreybryanmusic.com

Keyboardist for Survivor

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right? That bright soaked in reverb thing they've done for so long on their piano patches. Editable of course, to an extent. But the Roland AP sounds have been better since the supernatural engine, definitely an improvement over the, let's say... the U-220 or JV racks. Not that these piano sounds aren't on a lot of records, but they are signature Roland and you either like that or you don't.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The Roland pianos are better now - not sure about the EP but the regular piano sounds seem better. I still like the S90ES piano sound the most, but the PX-5S is pretty darn good after tweaking for live.

Greg Karukas said he loves the MP7 FWIW.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

So I went to check out and play a Roland fa08 and there was a Juno Ds 88 there. This may sound crazy but I think the Juno DS88 is a better buy considering it's almost half the price. I actually liked it better. It's still 16 multi timbral and samples... Just less sounds. Does anyone have any live experience with this board? For under $1000 it's seems worth it just for an extra board.

Yamaha Montage 8, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

Keyboardist for Survivor

The Juno DS 88 has the Ivory Feel G they are using in the RD64, RD300nx and FA-08. The FA-08 is more of a workstation with sequencer and sampler. The FA-08 also has stuff from Rolands's newest sampling sessions using Super Natural tech - which I believe mainly had to do with how they are smoothly morphing between velocity layers. The Juno DS is older tech with some new sample sets taken from the FA-08 I believe, and I think you can load your own wavs. For the price it's a steal... makes me think the FA and current Jupiter lines are slowing in sales and something new is coming. If you are ok with the action and the waveforms in the Juno DS, heck why not. You can download some new sounds for it from Roland's site as well. It's pretty new though. Only one person I know of here thus far that had, taken a liking to it, haven't heard from anyone gigging it.

I didn't try out the Juno DS 88 before I got my PX-5S. I probably should have - but I was jaded from my old Juno Di which I liked but hated the ep sounds.

The Juno DS 88 actually seems like it might be a good all around solution. Not as light as the PX but decent weight all around.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Here's a peek at the warmer classical piano sample on the new DS 88. Decent. Sounds like maybe 4 velocity levels? Not particularly long samples - at least not that you can tell in the decay on this patch. Decent timbre, action seems capable of delivering some dynamic variety if you ever need it for solo or duo/trio work.

[video:youtube]

Here's a sales rep doing an overview,

[video:youtube]

What were your impressions when you got your hands on it?

What were your impressions when you got your hands on it?

For some reason it seemed more like an instrument to me than the FA-08 did. I never really loved the Ivory Feel G keybed. I prefer the Yamaha Graded Hammer but I suppose I can get used to it. I actually thought the pianos were better quality sounding than the FA08 to my ears. Overall the DS88 looks and feels a bit more solid than the FA08. Although the DS88 is also plastic it doesn't feel as cheap. I think in this price range it offers more than the Casio PX5s. and 35 lbs. is not an issue for me.

Keyboardist for Survivor

Yeah, I can take or leave the Ivory Feel G, but you have me wondering about the DS88 now - so I need to find a shop that has it nearby to give a try. My S90ES is still in really good shape and I am happy with how it sounds, but some days, particularly in the summer - when I'm in tux, I wonder what it would be like with a 35lbs or less stage piano. :confused:

• 1 month later...

Great thread. I'm in the same boat as Jefsong. Worked my S90ES hard for 11 years and I'm getting a sticking key plus some issues with the outputs. Time for a replacement (also use a PC361).

Any opinions as to what, if any, advantage the S70XS would have over the MOXF8?

Any other options not previously mentioned in the thread?

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

The MOXF8 has Yamaha's GHS action without after touch. You must play this action to see if you like it. It has a 741mb ROM for the AWM2 sound engine at 128 note poly. Assignable knobs, only 2 faders - not sure if one is assignable. You can buy additional flash RAM cards to add your own or third party sample sets. It's 32.8lbs.

The S70XS has Yamaha's balanced hammer effect action with after touch which you will be familiar with from your S90ES. If you did or did not like that action this is the same or very similar action. If you did or did not make use of after touch, it's still here in the 70XS. The ROM is smaller, 456mb for the AWM2 engine at the same 128 note poly. I don't believe it has expansion slots for additional sample RAM. But it does have 4 assignable faders and 4 assignable knobs. It's a very sturdy build but this makes it 49.6lbs.

What else is worth a look.... Kawai MP7 or ES8. Casio PX-5S. Kurzweil Forte 8, 7 or Forte SE (very different actions on these two boards), Nord Stage 2 EX or Nord Piano 3 - but the Stage 2 is much more flexible and comparable to some of these others, Roland FA-08 or RD-800 or DS-88, Yamaha Montage 8 or Motif XF8.

Thanks Elmer- you said a mouthful.

Ideally, I'd like to scale down to a 76 key. And the Montage/Motif weigh in at 63 lbs- a deal breaker for me.

Nobody here has mentioned the Kronos- No love?

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived