Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Software?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i dont see how, as analog gear is vintage classics for what it is, software is really just trying to emulate the classics or its trying to get more powerful or faster. would logic v6 really mean anything ten years from now when its logic v20? i could be wrong but i really dont see something like reaktor ever being vintage like a prophet unless computers were completely obsolete in the future.

I generally agree with special ed... but OTOH, who would have thought that old 8 and 12 bit samplers would have any appeal to anyone after the 16 and 24 bit stuff hit the market... but there is a demand for them in some circles.

But seriously, I don't see the current emulations, as good as some of them are, becoming highly sought "vintage" items. Maybe in the future with the release of new softsynth designs... who knows?

There are still a ton of people in some circles who still swear by their old Atari STs and apps. Older hardware is known for the sound associated with them, and usually not much more. The sound of software relies on other devices, so thus I don't feel it will ever attain similar cult. Nonetheless, there are still people who will swear by those older apps.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I remember Master Tracks Pro being pretty cool back in the day....waaaay back...Commodore 64 era, but hell, that was just the beginning. Sometimes I wish I still had that sequencer, what's really changed besides compatibility and routing???

I do still have my installation 3.5" floppy disks of my old and loved Voyetra's Sequencer Plus Gold.

I can do a hell lot more today with REASON, just as an example and my Mac, but hey, it was so pretty damn cool, powerful and fast back then!

Vintage... Kyma anyone?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I do still have my installation 3.5" floppy disks of my old and loved Voyetra's Sequencer Plus Gold.

I can do a hell lot more today with REASON, just as an example and my Mac, but hey, it was so pretty damn cool, powerful and fast back then!

Vintage... Kyma anyone?

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

Vintage... Kyma anyone?

You mean, as opposed to a Capybara right?

Cause the Kyma is still around Kyma X .

Sly :cool:

Of course, Sly!

I meant... maybe KYMA would be one of those pieces of software some people might enjoy using several years in the future, even if they don't have any updated version.

www.guslozada.com

Maybe if there is software that did something better than anything does now, that would someday be considered vintage. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean there aren't any!!

I miss Turbosynth. Digi halted that one back in '96 I think. It was great for what it was. Love to see it run on my current machines - but no dice.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - when you see him, you\'ll know.

Originally posted by Bonzo.:

I remember Master Tracks Pro being pretty cool back in the day....waaaay back...Commodore 64 era, but hell, that was just the beginning. Sometimes I wish I still had that sequencer, what's really changed besides compatibility and routing???

Master Tracks Pro is still being made, as is Encore.

Jam Factory, Bars and Pipes, Alchemy, Vision...I would use all of these if emulation extended to MIDI interfaces...sigh.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived