Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

volltage converters&flying with amps

JuJu Kwan

My friend is selling his 3 year old Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for $400. I've used it several times and it's in like new condition. Does any one have experience flying with an amp, I have 3 people coming for graduation to help me move. the other question is how large a voltage converter would I need, the one I have is just for small appliances and would not be sufficient for a guitar amp. I have to let him know soon weather I want it or not.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would post your question on the Feel Free to Ask Myles thread...look on the back of your amp and see what the input wattage is. Post this info with your question. My Hot Rod Deville has an input of 180watts. I'm guessing you don't need anything bigger than 300 which run about $30bucks. But, make sure to ask Myles as he's the man to ask! The Hot Rod Deluxe weighs about 45lbs and probably more than 50 once you pack it. Check with the airlines to see what their international weight limits are before going to the airport with it. If you can't take it with you, you can always ship it to your address...just a few thoughts as I have never flown with an amp overseas. Good Luck with it! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I would go with a transformer, rather than a voltage converter. The transformer is heavier & bigger but it is a purely passive device; 240 volts goes in one side & 120 volts comes out the other side. A voltage converter uses (I believe) diodes to chop the waveform duty cycle down, like clipping in a fuzz pedal. You get 120 volts out but no longer a clean sine waveform. Could be rather buzzy. Fine for battery chargers, but I would trust an old school transformer for an amp.

And, as Larry says, match the wattage rating of the amp to the wattage capacity of the transformer, then add about 20% more capacity just to be safe from overheating. The amp is required to state, on the back panel near the power cord, either the wattage or the amperage that it pulls from the mains circuit. If it only gives an amp rating, multiply that by 120 to get the watts.

Scott Fraser

Also, when moving the amp over long distances or shipping it, use a permanent "Sharpie" marker to write V1, V2, etc. on the glass of each tube to note which socket it goes to, and draw an index line from the chassis and over the side of each socket (if he sockets have sides) to the side of each tube so that it's easy to put it back in place, properly aligned, without bending the pins or cracking the peg on the tube-base of the output-tubes.

Then carefully remove the tubes and pack them safely away with soft padded cushioning material that will hold them in place.

When amp and tubes are all in their final destination, carefully put the tubes back in before connecting to power.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the advise on the tubes, that was another question I had. everything else is solved, I'm getting 350 watt voltage transformer for $35, I saw 300 watts cheaper but this one seemed the best. We get 30kg each for a total of 120kg or about 265 pounds, so I have lots of room to work with. Besides my cloths and personal items I only have 1 guitar, 2 pedals, and few odds and end. I'm getting excited to see my puppy who is a full grown dog by now. thank you everyone.

Also, sorry for being such a pest.

Thanks for the advise on the tubes, that was another question I had. everything else is solved, I'm getting 350 watt voltage transformer for $35, I saw 300 watts cheaper but this one seemed the best. We get 30kg each for a total of 120kg or about 265 pounds, so I have lots of room to work with. Besides my cloths and personal items I only have 1 guitar, 2 pedals, and few odds and end. I'm getting excited to see my puppy who is a full grown dog by now. thank you everyone.

Also, sorry for being such a pest.

You are not a pest! :thu: We LIKE to talk about guitars, amps, pedals, tubes, cables, ALL of it. :2thu:

Sometimes some people don't reply back again; it seems to be a common way for many people using the internet or texting, and seems rudely lacking manners to many people who may be coming from older ways of doing things. I'm somewhat that way myself, though I try to be a bit understanding about it.

But, be assured, YOU have NOT been a pest. bWe've all learned from others; others will learn from you. Maybe some of us here could some time learn something from you! :2thu::cool:

You're not a pest JuJu Kwan, you are a friend here on the forum. Don't forget to stay in touch with us and give that dog a great big hug! Good luck to you! :thu:

+1. JuJu Kwan, have a safe trip home, and hug your dog for me, too!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

You're not a pest JuJu Kwan, you are a friend here on the forum. Don't forget to stay in touch with us and give that dog a great big hug! Good luck to you! :thu:

+1. JuJu Kwan, have a safe trip home, and hug your dog for me, too!

Yes! Many Dog-Hugs, all around. I just love dogs... And DEFINITELY YES to safe travels!

Oh, boy, do THEY look like a couple of characters... ! :laugh::D

Yeah. I love dogs. I've had some exceptionally good dog friends.

I decided against buying HRD, once I started weighing the pluses and minuses it became clear it was a bad idea. Ultimately it would have ended up costing me as much as a new one, so I'll just wait till I get home and get one designed for use in China.

I decided against buying HRD, once I started weighing the pluses and minuses it became clear it was a bad idea. Ultimately it would have ended up costing me as much as a new one, so I'll just wait till I get home and get one designed for use in China.

Sounds like a wise choice.

Good luck to you all around! And stay in touch!

I have a ZT Club 12 SS amp that has a voltage switch already built in. IIRC some of the Line 6 amps made in China have this feature too. I didn't look it up, but you can find amps with switching already set up for 110/220 etc. Good luck and I think you made a wise decision. I would buy my buddies HRDeluxe for $400 as it's is really like new and has an optional tooled cowboy covering that really looks cool! I'm sure you'll find an amp back home that suits your needs without having to carry a transformer around with you... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

I went one smaller, I just ordered a lunchbox from Musicians Friend. I can take as carry on so I don't have to worry about it taking beating from baggage handlers and I'll be able easily carry it on the train. According to their website they don't have any distributors in China yet, so I decided to get it before I leave.

The ZT's are great little amps and the Lunchbox has the voltage switch built in for you. One thing to keep in mind (unless they have changed over the years), the outside of the amp is just covered with a sparkle tape. If you leave it in the sun too long or in a car trunk on a hot day, it will probably wrinkle on you...I keep mine covered on hot days when moving it to and from the gig or jam. Great little practice amp, but it can work for a small venue quite well too! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I believe this amp will serve me well for at least the next 2 years. My father, a very wise man, pointed out some flaws in my plan. I had planned to give music 3 years and if thing didn't work out go back for my masters. I have been away for most of the last 4 years, so I have almost no connection to the local music scene. My father convinced me to go to school first and use that 2 years to get myself known and make connections and that giving myself a deadline was a recipe for failure. Even though he doesn't necessarily agree was my on everything he has always supported my decision. So my new plan is school and, hopefully doing solo work on the weekends. I will be staying in Wuhan for college.

I believe this amp will serve me well for at least the next 2 years. My father, a very wise man, pointed out some flaws in my plan. I had planned to give music 3 years and if thing didn't work out go back for my masters. I have been away for most of the last 4 years, so I have almost no connection to the local music scene. My father convinced me to go to school first and use that 2 years to get myself known and make connections and that giving myself a deadline was a recipe for failure. Even though he doesn't necessarily agree was my on everything he has always supported my decision. So my new plan is school and, hopefully doing solo work on the weekends. I will be staying in Wuhan for college.

That sounds like a good plan, and not unusual! Many college students do much the same.

It's harder to go back to college after taking some years off, so it makes sense to get all your school work finished & behind you now. Best of luck.

Wuhan is known, at least among the musicians I know, for its gongs. I have several. Maybe you can find a way to combine guitar & gongs in your music.

Scott Fraser

Archived