Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Q for Motif/FW16E users

zephonic

I'm currently contemplating getting a 'Fully Loaded' Motif XF7 if I can get one at a blowout price, but there is one thing unclear:

Does the FW16E carry MIDI as well? Or do you still need to have the USB connected to have both audio and MIDI going to and fro?

I want to be able to connect the laptop with just one cable for live use. Having to use both the USB and FW/Thunderbolt cable seems unnecessarily convoluted.

The owner's manual says USB carries MIDI only. And I find no mention of MIDI in the FW16E documentation.

Thanks.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I think what happened with the mlan16e is Yamaha was moving away from the mLAN software and drivers they had developed and were shifting to Steinberg taking over their music production interfaces drivers and software.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?category_id=16078&product_id=592566&asset_id=21000&asset_file_language=JA

The Yamaha Steinberg driver still handles audio and midi over FireWire but they capped the # of streams possible and removed advanced networking features. This made it more stable and less complicated to use.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived