Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Plugs from Professionals - Accidental or otherwise

scriabin

The great British concert pianist Stephen Hough recently wrote that he took a 76-key Nord Piano 2 with him on tour to practise on when he couldn't get convenient access to a 'proper' piano.

Surely this has to be the greatest endorsement of Nord's hammer action for those wanting to play the classical piano repertoire but can't have an acoustic for whatever reason.

Stephen Hough is incredible (I saw him play in London no too long ago) and I would like to point everyone in the direction of his recordings of York Bowen's solo piano music (Hyperion CD), but if he uses Nord what am I doing playing anything else.....?

2 Very Sick Korg M1s, 1 Geriatric Roland D20

Kurzweil PC3LE7, Roland RD-700GX, Yamaha Clavinova CLP

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the fact that everyone's different ( plenty of concert pianists didn't like the super-light action that Vladimir Horowitz had set up on his concert grands ), when I read that article ( over 6 months ago ) there was no indication that Mr. Hough had tried everything out there and this was his top pick. It simply is working well for his specific application.

It's also worth pointing out that his specific application is different from most of ours. He's not bringing it to the gig, he's carrying it as luggage for use in the hotel room. Seems to me the relative weight of several factors would be gauged differently because of this.

-jb

But did he pay full retail?
A retailer here in Hungary told me that Nord very specifically refuses to give discounts to even high profile artists.

But then the same guy also told me a lot of bullshit.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Archived