Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Impromptu Improv

ap297

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to wonder if either of them is even remotely "thinking" about scales, modes, pentatonic or "basing" their improvs on anything at all. They're just blowing :cool:

[video:youtube]

I have to wonder if either of them is even remotely "thinking" about scales, modes, pentatonic or "basing" their improvs on anything at all. They're just blowing :cool:

That's what I'd say, too.... A lot of stuff gets way over analyzed. While I had a lot of theory in the day, my eyes glaze over when attempting to decipher some of the rather involved analyses that have been presented in recent years - modes in 4th dimension retrograde, etc.. ;)

The only technical thing I could offer here is my rather crude, basic approach (which is why I have to often stifle a laugh when complimented on jazz 'chops'....): Use the original melody as a springboard, then starting building ideas off the chords, and finally just experiment with fill-in tones beyond that. When starting out I also mixed in parts of basic minor blues scales, and then my ears took over after that.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Do y'all think that teachers give students information about scales, modes, etc. so we have something to practice but know the best players don't think this way?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Allan Evett reflects my feeling about jazz ed and instead a simpler more fundamental approach. With his permission?

a quote of allan's I would like to emphasize his approach: "A lot of stuff gets way over analyzed. While I had a lot of theory in the day, my eyes glaze over when attempting to decipher some of the rather involved analyses that have been presented in recent years - modes in 4th dimension retrograde, etc.. wink

The only technical thing I could offer here is my rather crude, basic approach (which is why I have to often stifle a laugh when complimented on jazz 'chops'....): Use the original melody as a springboard, then starting building ideas off the chords, and finally just experiment with fill-in tones beyond that. When starting out I also mixed in parts of basic minor blues scales, and then my ears took over after that."

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Could anyone help identify what scales Robi and Joey are basing their improv? I hear a combination of chromatic pentatonic, etc. Wonder if I can ever approach this level of playing - those guys are out of this world!

https://youtu.be/RsMkyk4h0i8

(starting at approx 1:00 minute mark)

They're playing Monk's 'Rhythm-a-Ning", which is based on Rhythm changes (I Got Rhythm), if that helps.

Archived