Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kinda OT / cello hot cat / Takenobu (Nick Ogawa)

d  halfnote

Just heard of this cat, a cellist/guitarist who's dealing with the machinations of marketing his music online (there are some interesting insights in the article found here----> http://clatl.com/atlanta/takandeacutenobus-iron-will/Content?oid=16980700 ).

& here's a connection for us ...

Q: So, why the cello?

A: The cello makes a lot of sense to me because it's a very similar range to the guitar and it sounds very vocal. The lack of frets definitely adds an extra challenge, but that's why I wanted to do it. Every dude in college is playing a guitar and singing, you know? So, what can I do that's a little different? Not that there's anything wrong with dudes in college singing and playing guitar.

Folk cello

[video:youtube]

Blues cello / this is really cool

kinda reminds of the bassist Colin Hodgekinson in that Brit band Back Door

Here he is in collaboration w/the artist who does many of his disc covers

d=halfnote

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beautiful! Love "Shady Grove", tagged "Folk cello" by yourself. Deeply satisfying, rich tones. And, yeah, the Bluesy "Deeper Than The Vine" certainly is really cool. Dig the dog shaking music, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yeah, the big `music street` with tons of shops is near one of the big universities. Even high school students of both genders routinely walk to school with soft cases slung over their backs.

:cool::2thu:

Dancatraz, who's that 1st vid ?

I didn't really care for the sample/hold bg [too unchangingly repetitive] but the sorta Indian lines he soloed with over that first composition were cool.

The 2nd was much hipper, though I suspect an enhanced recording. :keynana:

Caev, that "Deeper than the Vine" tune can also be found as "Midnight Man".

What I really like abt Takenobu is his use of gtr techniques adapted to the cello.

Chk these...

Exposition / Not that great a composition & he, too, uses a looper to set the bg (you can catch that as he picks up the bow abt 1:50) but the cool thing is his use of quasi-classical picking (OK, pizzicato ) & catch that strum he rakes across the strings at 1:05. How cool is that ?! :laugh:

This next 1 features electric cello & a funk-jazz drummist.

Not his best vox but the falsetto shifts he throws in get me & his ability to sing freely while playing are almost as good as McCartney or Sting.

d=halfnote

What I really like abt Takenobu is his use of gtr techniques adapted to the cello.

Chk these...

Exposition / Not that great a composition & he, too, uses a looper to set the bg (you can catch that as he picks up the bow abt 1:50) but the cool thing is his use of quasi-classical picking (OK, pizzicato ) & catch that strum he rakes across the strings at 1:05. How cool is that ?! :laugh:

Quite cool, indeed! :cool: Sans bow (or pick ;) ), his fingerstyle touch and tone are quite nice!

Dancatraz, who's that 1st vid ?

I didn't really care for the sample/hold bg [too unchangingly repetitive] but the sorta Indian lines he soloed with over that first composition were cool.

The 2nd was much hipper, though I suspect an enhanced recording. :keynana

That's Matthew Schoening.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I tend to get very into artists who are new to me so bear w/me as I post the best Takenobu track I've found yet.

I doesn't offer particular gtr related content but seems to have all his best qualities as a composer & singer.

The lyrix are good & he's at least as worthy as Jason Mraz, etc.

Dig how he matches the falsetto kicks w/ cello (or violin) & also builds counterpoint underlines to the main themes.

What a pretty song.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIIbGi9LRF0

d=halfnote

Archived