Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I might build an Ion Cannon...What features should it have?

Seriously...At work, they removed these outside shower pillars. They are laying on their side at our loading dock, destined for the junk pile. They are made out of stainless steel (which I know is toxic to weld, btw). Anyway, on their side, I saw Ion Cannons. I am thinking that this spring, I may try to fabricate some using these thihgns as the barrell, getting some scrap metal and fabricating the stand/base from a guy I know near me that makes these huge industrial sludge scoops.

So I was thinking of what should be on them to make them look cool. I am thinking military mock grade fire switches, LED halos on the barrel, and something lighted coming out of the end. I was also thinking some sort of onboard audio out, or a MIDI trigger out so that samples could be triggers when the firing switches were hit.

Add your features here. Who knows, it may end up making it on...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made an Ion Cannon when I was in the 5th grade. It was pretty basic, but it did work.

If I was to add features to it, several MUSTS would now be:

moon roof

CD changer

GPS

targeting scanners

AM/FM

leather trim - no - full leather (chicks dig leather)

air bags

and that's pretty much it. You can get most of that stuff at Home Depot. Here's a tip: don't point that thing at me. My sister pointed an Ion Cannon at me once. Once.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - doesn\'t need any stinkin\' Ion Cannon.

I have to admit, this thread threw me for a loop at first. It took a minute for the geek in me to figure it out.... :D

Okay, here we go:

THIS is an Ion Cannon. IT's useful for keeping the dreaded Empire off your back.

http://www.starwars.jp/technology/image/ion_cannon.jpg

THIS is a Taiidan Ion Cannon Frigate. Useful for keeping your enemies in check.

http://www.vortex.ndo.co.uk/Pics/ships/Taiidan%20Ion%20Cannon%20Frigate.gif

Behold, their destructive power!

http://www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/pc/homeworld_2/homeworld_22b.jpg

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Deanmass, you are a big-time nerd! Where do you work at, Toys-R-us??? :D This is so funny! I want to be your neighbor when he comes outside to mow his lawn and sees you contructing this thing in your backyard! Priceless moment!!!! :thu:

"Hey Bob, watcha build'n?

An ion cannon.

Ooooooooh. Say Bob, aren't those illegal?"

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Cooool!!!

Ok, as with any other art form, it's all about the looks.

You NEED to put in some of those crystal balls that have static electricity when you touch it.

Sub-woofer - it has to shake the world when it's about to shoot.

Monitors- a couple of them, even if you just have "Missile command" on it. Just put an Atari 2600 on.

Hydraulics- it's gotta go up down and sideways...

Cables and lines, waterhoses with weird liquids going thru it, and bubbling liquids too.

Oh man... can wait for it...

Make sure you film the first try out. And use a uniform with a helmet, makes you look like a "pro".

I am a sys admin at a k-12 school...

Usually, I don't build things, but I have a buddy who inspired me when I toured his house ( freaking unbelievable stuff there) and he has his gaming web site (www.ioncannon.com.) So I saw these things laying there and was like...hmmm...The seed was planted.

I am kicking around the idea of a Potato gun that LOOKS like an Ion Cannon. I jus tthink it would cool no matter what..

Yer gonna need three or four rows of LED's that go from the rear generating thyron to the front zantoch focusing mechanism; they'll need to do a chaser-sequence towards the front to indicate that the focusing ring is energized and through-cycle.

You'll also need some thyron field-exciter activity indicator rings; usta be gas, but try the faux-neon dowel rod stuff available at your local plastics dealer; it already looks lit, but a low-power light source at the I/O port for each ring REALLY stokes the nads. The low-light source version makes for more ideal power conservation, allowing for a better-balanced teicho core in the beam, which is proven to be key to defense penetration in critical, time-driven situations.

Don't forget the swirl-burnish finish, applied with a wire brush on a vari-speed drill, with Rustoleum clear enamel for the higher-temperature work.

You might consider some electro-luminescent wire for critical detail work.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Botch.:

If I had Photoshop you all'd be looking at an Alesis Ion keyboard flying out of a cannon.

But I don't so you're not. :)

ha!

http://www.centralhouse.net/fm/images/ion_cannon.gif

shut up Wewus! :evil:

0096 2251 2110 8105

Originally posted by offramp:

Yer gonna need three or four rows of LED's that go from the rear generating thyron to the front zantoch focusing mechanism; they'll need to do a chaser-sequence towards the front to indicate that the focusing ring is energized and through-cycle.

You'll also need some thyron field-exciter activity indicator rings; usta be gas, but try the faux-neon dowel rod stuff available at your local plastics dealer; it already looks lit, but a low-power light source at the I/O port for each ring REALLY stokes the nads. The low-light source version makes for more ideal power conservation, allowing for a better-balanced teicho core in the beam, which is proven to be key to defense penetration in critical, time-driven situations.

Don't forget the swirl-burnish finish, applied with a wire brush on a vari-speed drill, with Rustoleum clear enamel for the higher-temperature work.

You might consider some electro-luminescent wire for critical detail work.

Wow, Offramp out-nerded everybody!!! :eek:

And the Geek of the Year Award goes to... :D

BTW, MassiveDean, don't forget the Emergency Shut-Down button. That feature can come in handy. Very handy. :thu:

Finally! Commendation! :D

As a kid, I was TOTALLY fascinated by Star Trek and the behind-the-scenes stuff, reading about set technicians who would literally get into fistfights over what button did what on Sulu's console (which I though, even then, was a bit extreme, but hey). I used to spend summer days building goofy shit out of old appliance parts discarded behind the downtown department store (my parents LOVED that :rolleyes: ). Wanted to work on movies, in FX. Still do.

Then, the other night, they had three SFX teams from Hollywood competing on Junkyard MegaWars...KNB, Henson's, and ILM. Henson's team won.

Just last night, they went totally retro SCI-FI on Monster House, loading this place up with air transport tubes (with one fitting to accomodate a beer), all sorts of sci-fi interior, and a stainless-steel wall unit that housed the fireplace and a giant plasma tv, with doors that slid open via remote control and an auto-start fire. Way cool.

Even my wife said she'd live in a place like that. Surprised me when she went apeshit over the air tube system; told me she'd ALWAYS wanted one of those as a kid.

I picked a good one. :D

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived