Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old guys can still remember........

[quote]Originally posted by zele: [b]NellyBelle---was Pat Bradys jeep->>--just finished a tribute tune to Roy in the studio<<<---What's up with that Sky King---was Penny really his niece[/b][/quote] zele -- NellyBelle..is right! (sounds of game show bells,whistles) And Penny? Let's let our younger comrades share our refreshing 50's naivete...Let's just sa-a-a-y (thinking..)..yeah. That's right. His neice. And his plane's name? One of the links on my post takes you there for the answer. The other links might give ElGenius1 a feel for what we're talking about. :)
-- Music has miracle potential --

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's some oddball ones: Johnny Socko and his Flying Robot UltraMan Josie & the Pussycats Thunderbirds Are Go (F.A.B.!) Supercar Space 1999 Hot Wheels (the cartoon that spawned the toys, or was it the other way around...) Mister Wizard Don't forget these: The Invaders (creepy!) Lost In Space (Judy's a babe!) 77 Sunset Strip (Kookie, lend me your comb) Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour Dodo - the kid from outer space The Andy Williams Christmas Special Let's Make A Deal Too many to name! :D
Don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses. Everyone likes a waitress with big tips...

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]VaVoom - does anyone remember?? Matt[/b][/quote]My brother and I would do surprise Vavoom imitations at random then fall over laughing til we could hardly breathe :) . Fun days and ways. Wherever did they go?
-- Music has miracle potential --

The NBC Peacock The CBS Eye Greenie Stick 'em Caps The toy rifle that had a "bullet" that you could stick a greenie stick'em cap to and it would shoot a plastic bullet about 4 feet. They took those off the market soon, I guess... Here's one of my favorite, Sunday nights with Ed Sullivan... The Outer Limits Penny Candy Yep, I had a Schwinn "Orange Crate" bike. And before that, a Western Auto bike with a "gas tank"...a big ol' thing... Pop-a-matic pops the dice, pop a six and you move twice... Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and those crazy cartoon model dragsters with Rat Fink...remember Rat Fink??? Peanuts books. Fizzies. Topps Baseball Cards, that actually had a piece of gum in the pack. Beatle Cards...with gum in the pack. Spending summer nights outside playing "tag", "hide and seek", or "capture the flag"...long before it became cool to hibernate indoors playing Nintendo in the AC... Lightning bugs. Model anything...model cars, planes, ships, tanks, I wasn't into sniffing glue, but I remember the smell of Testor's model glue and model paint. I was truly pissed when people started getting high off that stuff and I couldn't buy it anymore without a parent. The smell of those electric trains when they overheated. Slot cars. Balsa wood rubber band airplanes. Walking to a buddy's house with a big stack of 45s. The first record albums that said "Stereo" on them.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Being terrified at the original Godzilla Whirlybirds Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges and sons One hell of a blizzard in Washington D.C. in '66 An F5 tornado that tore thru my home town in the same year, though I was overseas at the time. TV that only was on in the evenings with one good and three snowy choices. Ya say the secret word and ya win a hundred dollas. Live music on the radio. Everett Dirksen saying: "A million here and a million there and pretty soon your're talking real money." Who was that masked man? The older you get, the more hard drive space is eaten up in your brain. He not busy being born is busy dyin' - Dylan Peace on Earth Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Talk about "Where the Action Is", my band was supposed to be on the show with Paul Revere and four of us got drafted..they took another Portland band, Don and the Goodtimes instead..oh well.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]time tunnel ultraman funky phantom jackson 5/beatles cartoons** whizzers** superballs** wacky packages** original hot wheels (with the red/orange plastic c-clamp for the track)** panasonic "ball & chain" and "toot-a-loop" am radios** panasonic TNT plunger portable 8-track players** huffy bikes with banana seats and sissy bars** the frito bandito** -d. gauss[/b][/quote] ** = The ones I remember. I actually had the original Hot Wheels set, the Toot a Loop and plunger 8 track Panasonics, and the Huffy with the sissy bar / banana seat... I was going to say I had a couple of superballs, but I'd just be leaving myself wide open for your well known wit. ;) Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

[b]00 the 8th man[/b] That was Tobor, the 8th man. It was Robot spelled backwards. [b]Hercules[/b] Oh, yeah...the one with the Johnny Mathis clone singing the theme song, and the little fawn named Newt that always repeated himself...always repeated himself. [b]and don't forget Gigantor could kick everyone's butt. Analogue superheroes rule.[/b] LMAO!!! You are so right... UltraMan was totally my fave... We had a show in Philly called Wee Willie Webber's Colorful Cartoon Club. It started at 3, and ran 'til 7. Over the years, it had Crusader Rabbit, Prince Planet, Marine Boy, Astro Boy, Gigantor, 8th Man, Spider-Man, Speed Racer, Ultra Man...major kiddie testosterone fest... ...and we had Batman on as a prime-time show...and the Flintstones as a prime time show...and Lost in Space...and of course, that show with the Vulcan fella... ;) ...and don't forget the Fantastic Four cartoon...or the Beatles cartoon... BTW - I was a Quake guy. I was waaay bummed when he fell in that machine and came out slim (New! Improved!)... Remember Shake a Puddin'? And what were those funny little space food sticks called?? Wow... Thanks for the burst of nostalgia, guys... dB [ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Dave Bryce ]

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Definitely Quisp. I only remember a few off of your original list Cereal: Fright Night with Seymour (I LOVED that show - I used to stay up late just to get the tar scared out of me!) Creepy Crawlers ver. 1 Choo Choo Charley Engineer Bill Diver Dan Crusader Rabbit was my wife's favorite cartoon as a kid (I'm sure she'll appreciate me sharing that one...) We had a guy here in the LA area named Sheriff John when I was a kid - we all used to watch him after school. Of course I remember Capt Kangaroo... and Mr Rodgers (back when he first got started) Tube testers in the drug stores cartoons before the main feature in the movies Wonderama, and Bozo the clown (liked Bozo, hated Bob on Wonderama) Speed Racer, Felix the Cat, old Three Stooges on channel 56... pre-color TV, and all the "in living color" type messages placed before them newfangled color tv programs when color got started... Have Gun, Will Travel and 77 Sunset Strip... (both of which Ireally liked) as well as Wild Wild West, The Rifleman, Balsa wood gliders and rubber band airplanes Capitol's original orange / yellow "swirl" labels Baseball cards with gum in the pack slot cars I was a big model builder - Was a "Master Modeller" in Revell's model building club - I must have built hundreds of models over the years... Thanks for all the really fun memories folks! Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Speaking of NBC (from a previous post). NBC was once owned by General Electric Corporation (GEC). Now pick up your musical instrument of choice, and slowing play these notes: G up to E, down to C. Sound familiar?

Yeah, those three notes! And the primitive graphic for that was a peacock with its feathers kinda lighting up or spreading as the notes pinged. Sure, I remember. Just before Lawrence Welk came on at my Grandma's house. Oh shit. Now I'm old.

[quote]Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com: [b] I was going to say I had a couple of superballs, but I'd just be leaving myself wide open for your well known wit. ;) Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com[/b][/quote] LOL!! Ahh "nuts" Phil. We coulda had a good time with that one! :D Bicycle cards in the bicycle spokes Deputy Dog My Mother the Car Hobie Skateboards w/ Chicago wheels. Flexi's Plastic inserts that let you play 45's on the 33 Craig tape recorders AR turntables LBJ (Johnson is a nut, he has a rubber butt.......) Twiggy Nancy Sinatra And Tedster........All outdoor sports revolved around those precious green caps. We'd take the whole roll, set it on the concrete and get to work with the hammer. Nintendo is a joke. When we were kids we went outside and put salt on snails. [ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Cereal ]

[quote]Originally posted by timrocker: [b]Yeah, those three notes! And the primitive graphic for that was a peacock with its feathers kinda lighting up or spreading as the notes pinged. Sure, I remember. Just before Lawrence Welk came on at my Grandma's house. Oh shit. Now I'm old.[/b][/quote] Yup, a major triad. Now I REALLY get to embarrass my wife... she performed with Lawrence Welk at the Hollywood Palladium back in the late 1960's... then was asked to perform on the TV show, which she did... then was asked to join the show, which she declined and then got signed to RCA... She says Lawrence Welk was "a very kindhearted and sweet man" but she never thought the show was "hip" enough for a teenager in the late 60's... Personally, I hated the show - not my style. I preferred Shinding. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Listening to P-Funk and Graham Central Station on a "close and play". Jermaine Jackson was the best bass player in the world - we didn't have to sneak to listen to the Jackson 5. Underdog (Riff Raff was my favorite villian) and Fractured Fairy Tales. Dark Shadows every day after school. "Land of the Lost" anyone? Damn, I need more tequilla.

Lawrence Welk!!! Boy that was religion at my house...my Ukrainian Grandma lived with us...she HAD to watch her Lawrence Welk!!! Sing Along With Mitch! Meet the Swinger, Polaroid Swinger...it's more than a camera, it's almost alive, it's only 19 dollars, and 95! Hey, Phil, yep...Revell models RULED!... Diver Dan...boy, I'm regressing to my boyhood...Time Tunnel, the Titanic episode...I feel like I just stepped into that tunnel. Lost in Space...but wait, there's a "brand new sci fi series, for adults...called STAR TREK..."... The Avengers, Diana Rigg...YIKES... I remember that huge Eastern Virginia blizzard...was it '66? I remember some friends of the family being snowbound with us for like three days. I just thought it was fun. I remember one year Christmas in Virginia, was like 70 degrees just a couple of years later... Andy Williams Christmas Specials... Ahhh...hearing a local guitar hero playing some brand new song called "Sunshine of Your Love" by some band called "Cream" at a street dance and thinking "THAT'S what I want to do".... Swimming at the city pool in the little town of Colonial Beach, Virginia... the summer of love...the summer of '67...hearing the refrains of the French National Anthem come over the radio, followed by "Love, Love, Love"...in 7/4 time... Life was so fucking good. Sock it to me...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

wallabee's earth shoes pukka shells black light posters (spencer gifts which has still survived) courduroy levis in every color you can think of 8 dollar led zep shows at the garden afro picks pet rocks smothers brothers, carol burnette, flip wilson, sonny & cher, donny & marie, kenny rogers, & howard cosell tv variety shows don kirshner and midnight special -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by timrocker: [b]Yeah, those three notes! And the primitive graphic for that was a peacock with its feathers kinda lighting up or spreading as the notes pinged. [/b][/quote] Yeah, first the feathers were open, in black and white, then the would close up, and reopen in color.

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Lawrence Welk!!! Boy that was religion at my house...my Ukrainian Grandma lived with us...she HAD to watch her Lawrence Welk!!![/b] Yup, we had to watch it at our house too, but that didn't mean that I had to LIKE it! :) [b]Hey, Phil, yep...Revell models RULED!...[/b] I wonder if they're still in business? I certainly gave them enough business over the years... [b]Lost in Space...but wait, there's a "brand new sci fi series, for adults...called STAR TREK..."...[/b] Loved Star Trek... [b]The Avengers, Diana Rigg...YIKES...[/b] The Avengers - Dianna Rigg.... YUM! :eek: :) [b]Andy Williams Christmas Specials...[/b] I watched plenty of those too... as well as the first run of most of the classic kiddie Christmas cartoons - Rudolph, Frosty, the Peanuts one, etc. [b]Ahhh...hearing a local guitar hero playing some brand new song called "Sunshine of Your Love" by some band called "Cream" at a street dance and thinking "THAT'S what I want to do"....[/b] I remember a lot of these musical events. I lived next door to my grandmother. Her kids were like my brothers and sister, and still are to this day. My grandmother is only 38 years older than me, and my mom is only 19 years (to the day) older. Her brothers are 10 and 4 years older, and her sister is only 6 years older, so I was exposed to a lot of great '60's era music... A few biggies I remember: the day my oldest uncle brought home Sgt Pepper (June 1, 1967), and the day my aunt brought home Hendrix "Are you Experienced?" WOW.... [b]Swimming at the city pool in the little town of Colonial Beach, Virginia... the summer of love...the summer of '67...hearing the refrains of the French National Anthem come over the radio, followed by "Love, Love, Love"...in 7/4 time... Life was so fucking good.[/b] Yup, it was. Man, I'm starting to sound like my parents and grandparents. I MUST be getting old. :) Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com [/B][/quote]

I remember, when I was a kid we used to have these things called "seasons". See, how it would work is it would be hot in the summer, and then as it got closer to winter it would get colder everyday, and then as it became summer again it would become hotter everyday until finally it peaked out around August or July. I like warm weather though, so I'm all for this new fangle "Glo-bul Warm-ing" stuff.... I remember when the Internet was black and white. That's my quote of fame...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by lovesinger: [b]Sky King (cowboy with a plane, not a horse..woohoo!! Trivia: what was Sky's airplane's name? :D [b] [url=http://www.angelfire.com/mi/freeper/]Answer is..[/url] [/b]) [/b][/quote] Wow, I've still got my autographed picture of 'Sky King' hanging in the pool room. Thing is, he signed it 'Sky King' instead of Kirby Grant which is kind of odd. You guys are reminding me of all sorts of stuff. :D

My first introduction into live rock-n-roll music: My family was at a day-camp park in Mich. called Warsaw park, getting ready to have a picnic. Hippies start loading into the park by the boatload, unknown to us, the MC5 starts to play, real loud! I wandered over to the 'roundhouse' and witnessed the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. And they were cussin' into the mics! -crazy stuff for 1967-8. But what made me think that this was 'the bomb', was there were a bunch of really older women, about 18 ;) , dancing around in bikinis!! and being like real friendly to me, saying 'little boy come here, oh, isn't he cute!... :D '. I thought how very cool, I can get myself into music and have girls around that are hot, I'd be able to swear, and that doesn't look like hard work! I was instantly transformmed into a wanna-be. I remember telling my dad that I wanted to do that when I grew up and my dad going into the old, 'son, look at them long-hair freaks, you can't tell who are the girls and who are the boys, and they take drugs, and they will not fight for their country, they are bunch of commie - pinkos, and that rock music is the worst crap I ever heard, you don't want to do that, son!', etc. - I didn't listen, thank God. It's really amazing to think there was a time when rock music was looked upon as a real bad thing for the country, destroying the youth of America....I guess they were right! ;) -Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

My son started driving a stick shift car, and I was trying to explain about these models I build that had a long, curved shifter with an 8-ball on the end, and with a giant RatFink driving it !! He doesn't get it, and I don't have any pictures anymore... Diver Dan was the man. I remember seeing Iron Butterfly jump around like maniacs while lipsynching the short version of In-A-Gadda-da-vida on Bandstand. Hey, did anyone say Bandstand yet? We still hear weird music and look at each other and say "I give it an 85 - it's got a beat you can dance to". I spiked my milk with Coco Marsh. I had superballs when I was younger (too much truth in that to go into). Spent lots of time with Aurora cars - more time building and designing than actually racing (I'm a programmer today, can you tell?). The Monkees played their own music, didn't they (cough cough) I also used a big magnifying glass to roast assorted insects, but my cousin used a transformer from a neon sign with an earthworm between the leads - instand carbon. While I fondly remember the good times (and would have some of them back), I still manage some fun today with family and friends. Life was good. Life is still good, thank God !! Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Bryce..... I'm from Philly as well and I do indeed remember Wee Willy Weber......but do your remember: Dr Shock how about Gene London.....and the Golden Fleece, Quigley Mansion what about playing stick ball with a pimple ball?...or cut it in half and play half ball.... joe

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b] Well, 'Rold, what do you old Canadian guys remember? How about "The Friendly Giant" for one? I spent my teen years on the Michigan/Ontario border, so we watched Canadian TV from time to time... [/b][/quote] I'm the wrong guy to ask, Tedster - I've only been here since '82 and I was born in 75...my memory only stretches back to GI Joe and the Brady Bunch.. :D :p
meh

Archived