Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old guys can still remember........

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone remember the words about Choo-Choo Charlie, -sung for Good-n-plenty? btw: what the hell was that stuff, candy coated squirrel turds? My earliest recollection of TV was "My mother the car" or 'Gilligan' on prime time. I would guess about '65. merry axemas!
In two days, it won't matter.

Here you go, Hippie: Once upon a time there was an engineer, Choo Choo Charlie was his name we hear. He had an engine and it sure was fun, he used Good and Plenty candy, to make his train run. Charlie says: "Love my Good and Plenty, they really ring my bell!" "Love my Good and Plenty candy, don't know any other candy, that I love so well!" Look at this page: http://www.toymuseum.com/inside/c01/2209045.html

Guess I'm old. "Where The Action Is." Wow. Don't forget "Shindig" and "Hullabaloo." My Mom STILL has a coupla Creepy Crawlers (V 1.0) spiders that I used to hide around the house to scare her. She's morbid that way. Remember what they were made of? PLASTIGOOP! Happy Kringle.

[quote]Originally posted by 'rold: [b]That is the old *American* guys.. ;) [/b][/quote] Well, 'Rold, what do you old Canadian guys remember? How about "The Friendly Giant" for one? I spent my teen years on the Michigan/Ontario border, so we watched Canadian TV from time to time... "When you eat your Smarties, do you eat the red ones last?" "The Littlest Hobo"...a TV series about a German Shepherd... >>>Cereal said... Lloyd Thaxton Honey West** Where the Action is** Fright Night with Seymour Creepy Crawlers ver. 1** Choo Choo Charley** Engineer Bill The Pancake Man Astro Boy** Gigantor** Diver Dan** Big World Little Adam Chiller** The Washington Senators** Stars indicate the ones I remember. My very first big league baseball game was the Senators vs. the Orioles. Hmmm...now, I'm probably wrong, but didn't the Senators move to KC and become the Royals? (not a big baseball historian, but there was something like that)...at any rate, we live in KC now, and the Royals don't do much better than the Senators did. I lived in the D.C. area til I was 12. A lot of those programs you mention may have been local productions...like "Engineer Bill". In D.C., we had "Ranger Hal" and "Captain Tugg"...and a show called "Countdown Carnival". Some local host would dress up in a costume and show cartoons, along with little skits...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

time tunnel ultraman funky phantom jackson 5/beatles cartoons whizzers superballs wacky packages original hot wheels (with the red/orange plastic c-clamp for the track) panasonic "ball & chain" and "toot-a-loop" am radios panasonic TNT plunger portable 8-track players huffy bikes with banana seats and sissy bars the frito bandito -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by Magpel: [b]Were you a Quisp man or a Quake man? Me? Quisp, all the way down to the beanie.[/b][/quote] Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. Q&Q were the BOMB! Schwinn Choppers: Lemon Peeler, Orange Crate, Pea Picker. Beanie & Cecil ( I'ts a Bob Clampett Cartoooooooooon) Hobo Kelly

We had a guy here in the Portland area called "Mr. Moon" who wore a cape and a moon head. He did a Saturday morning show until one time they failed to turn off his mic and he was heard saying "That ought to hold the little bastards" at the end of his show. Gone..toast. We had to live with Ramblin Rod and Captain Kangaroo from then on...aaaah, there was always Annette..the single most developed 12 year old on TV. I remember my dad bringing home a plastic sheet that was supposed to turn our 1952 Arvin Traveler B&W TV into a color set..not.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by AlChuck: [b]Anybody remember Colonel Bleep? Crusader Rabbit? Clutch Cargo?[/b][/quote] When I remember Colonel Bleep, I think it was cool and creepy at the same time. Crusader Rabbit (and his sidekick Rags the tiger) were precursors to Rocky and Bullwinkle. Remember they had a set of shows on a deserted island called Nothing Atoll ?? And I remember Rags dreaming of being in Rome when Nero was fiddling? Hey - my wife's boss drives an Avanti - it was made by a company that bought the plans from Studebaker (the official car of the Mr. Ed show). I always thought the Beatles cartoon aptured their personalities well, but I know the band hated the whole thing. Can't Buy Me Love was the theme - at one point during the intro they bring the band to a concert in an ambulance. I can still kind of hear where the siren comes in during the theme song. PF Flyers? Red Ryder? (I had two books, but don't konw where they are now). Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

And I thought a lot of you guys were young whippersnappers! I was a big Beany and Cecil, and Rocky & Bullwinkle fan! Well I'd better not mention these or you'll think I'm ancient... [url=http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/memories/show_mem.php?ID=SA1094]Howdy Doody[/url] and Clarabell clown Sky King (cowboy with a plane, not a horse..woohoo!! Trivia: what was Sky's airplane's name? :D [b] [url=http://www.angelfire.com/mi/freeper/]Answer is..[/url] [/b]) Rin Tin Tin (his attack command "yo, Rinney!".. long B4 hip hop) [url=http://www.tvparty.com/soupy.html]Soupy Sales[/url] [& 'White Fang', Black Tooth & Marilyn Monwolf] Captain Marvel [url=http://www.tvparty.com/lostterrytoons.html]Captain Kangaroo[/url] [Mr. GreenJeans & all and my favorite..Dancing Bear] Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney [url=http://www.paulwinchell.com/]Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney[/url] Annie Oakley Boston Blackie Have Gun, Will Travel Broken Arrow The Untouchables (Bob Stack, the best Ness ever) Mr. District Attorney (hey.. it's what was on TV in the 50's) Naked City (for real..all about New York crime..always ended with [quote]"there are 8 milliion stories in the naked city.THIS, has been one of them.")[/quote] Science Fiction Theater [probably inspired Twilight Zone] Thriller [scaaarryy, Boris Karloff, host] Alfred Hitchcock Presents George Pal puppetoons Jiri Trnka's excellent [url=http://www.rembrandtfilms.com/jiritrnka.htm]Yugoslav puppet animation[/url] Roy Rogers Show (trivia: what was Pat Brady's Jeep's name?) The Dallas Texans (now the NFL's KC Chiefs) ..so many more but why hog the bandwidth.
-- Music has miracle potential --

S&H Green Stamps Bucky Beaver Elevator Operators Telephones Without Dials or Buttons (Number Please?) 78's, when a record album was an collection of 78 rpm records tube testers in the drug store "The following program is brought to you in living color" Winky Dink disks - what you put in the big hole of a 45 so it fit the spindle Newreels at the movies and a cartoon before the main feature

NellyBelle---was Pat Bradys jeep->>--just finished a tribute tune to Roy in the studio<<<---What's up with that Sky King---was Penny really his niece? Where might one obtain a tape of Where the Action Is ? The Hullabaloo series is starting to surface around--- Remembering ..The Clutch Cargo cartoon really drawing back into the subconscious--what a strange process---the first Lip Sync Happy Holidays C Jo GO Crystal Studios

[quote]Originally posted by AlChuck: [b]Anybody remember Colonel Bleep? Crusader Rabbit? Clutch Cargo?[/b][/quote] With the 'realistic' moving lips :D RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

[quote]Originally posted by timobrien: [b]Here you go, Hippie: Once upon a time there was an engineer, Choo Choo Charlie was his name we hear. He had an engine and it sure was fun, he used Good and Plenty candy, to make his train run. Charlie says: "Love my Good and Plenty, they really ring my bell!" "Love my Good and Plenty candy, don't know any other candy, that I love so well!" Look at this page: http://www.toymuseum.com/inside/c01/2209045.html [/b][/quote] Thanks! That sure did bring back memories, like sitting around watching Capt. Kangaroo, life was good back then. I miss the old 'Beaver Cleaver' world, what the hell happened? ;) <> I used to kick into the 'Friendly Giant' song, between songs when gigging. So many people would say, "what is that, I know that song". I'd never tell. Speaking of Canadian TV, remember Mr. Dressup? [ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Hippie ]

here's a few of my old favorites: Underdog Kimba the white Lion Adam Ant (up & adam, adam ant!) Mighty Mouse (here I come to save the daaaaay!) Dudley Do-right VaVoom - does anyone remember?? John Doormat - a great short-cartoon, does anyone remember??? Matt

....many moons ago, when life seemed so simple and less complex, the most you had to worry about was whether Sister Helene Magdelene would catch you sneaking a piece of candy, preferrably a Mallo Cup (mainly to collect the points that were on the cards), during class. Whoa! It's really embarrassing when your friends, especially the girls, watch you get a yard stick, which has been broken in half and taped together, get whacked over your knuckles. Ouch!! However, things got better, after school I couldn't wait to get home to watch my favourite TV cartoon show at the time. And when that show started up with it's distinct theme going something like this: Here he comes Here comes Speed Racer He's a demon on wheels.....etc etc Now that was worth waiting for each and every day! And when the show was over, I might watch Marine Boy but most times I would get on that old Schwinn of mine complete with sissy bar and cruise the block pretending I could leap over cars, climb walls or drive into an ocean with the theme racing through my head the entire time. And every once in while, 10 cavity Billy from down the street would be my nemesis from the Car Acrobatic Team (Snake Oiler). Now that's livin'! joe P.S. Wally Gator Rulz!!!!

Friggin' Clutch Cargo??!!!! LMFAO!!! :D Those lips got me every time... I once made a small 'boomerang' by breaking off one of the blades of a propeller from my brother's B-24 model kit. Then I made a 'holster' for it out of cardboard and masking tape, and stapped that puppy to my arm. Instant Marine Boy! Remember the Oxygum,Joe? :) Btw, all you guys are crackin' me up w/this stuff! How about Prince Planet? :D Steve

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff Leites: [b]"The following program is brought to you in living color"[/b][/quote]..and (in the U.S.) the rest of that was "on NBC" (did anyone else have color then besides them?) [quote]by Jeff Leites: [b]Newreels at the movies and a cartoon before the main feature[/b][/quote] for 4 hours on Saturday between double features (like "Creature From The black Lagoon" paired with "Peter Pan") for 35 cents. -hilarious, Jeff.

[quote]Originally posted by ricknbokker: [b]I once made a small 'boomerang' by breaking off one of the blades of a propeller from my brother's B-24 model kit. Then I made a 'holster' for it out of cardboard and masking tape, and stapped that puppy to my arm. Instant Marine Boy!...Btw, all you guys are crackin' me up w/this stuff! Steve[/b][/quote] Steve, you reminded me of orange crate skatemobiles and that staple of staples -- the stickhorse! TOYS R US eat yer heart out :) ! We made LOTS of homemade playthings and enjoyed them immensely!! The only things that still "had" to be bought to be great were Western Flyer fat wheel bikes (with the 'gas tank' y'know?), an electric train set with the big transformer (think I finally got one about 12. anybody get shocked?), and red fire truck with the flashing red light and mechanical siren. :D

Archived