Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A bit of a morbid poll...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since my specific wishes aren't one of your selections... I plan on having my body cremated. The ashes will be compacted into briquettes, then my closest friends and family will have a barbeque, using my briquettes to slow cook and infuse my essence into baby-back ribs. :freak:

Seriously though, I don't like thinking about that kind of stuff. It's depressing.

After any of my organs have been harvested for donation, cremation is for me. Back to the earth. When my Dad died in '95 the mortuary was trying to sell us vaults that guarantee an air tight seal and no decomposition for 400 years. That prospect disgusted me. Thank God no one else in my family was interested in pickling Dad. Yuck.

However, I have heard those folks who scatter the ashes of their loved one's, regret not having a burial site where they can visit and grieve. I want to be cremated, but what my wife does with the ashes, I really couldn't care less.

Tedster, what made you think of this? Is there something you want to tell us?

P.S. Everyone make sure your spouse or partner, or close family member know of your wishes AND YOU KNOW THEIR'S.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I'm set up to be an organ donor if there's anything worth having when I'm through with it, but once the light winks out for the last time for me, all my concerns cease.

They can tan me hide, when I'm dead, Fred, and hang it over there on the shed for all I care. ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Where's the 'cremate me and drop my ashes into the eye of a tornado' choice?

;)

Actually one of my best friend's dad was a Colonel in the army. Once he was stationed on an an aircraft carrier and a bigwig was having his ashes committed to the sea. Well a big wind blew up right as they were dumping him and his ashes all blew into the bunches of men standing at attention. :eek:

Originally posted by Hendmik:

However, I have heard those folks who scatter the ashes of their loved one's, regret not having a burial site where they can visit and grieve. I want to be cremated, but what my wife does with the ashes, I really couldn't care less.

Tedster, what made you think of this? Is there something you want to tell us?

P.S. Everyone make sure your spouse or partner, or close family member know of your wishes AND YOU KNOW THEIR'S.

Nahh...there's nothing in particular that made me think of this. I seem to be in good health for the time being (knock on wood). I think I responded to someone who made mention that they were "old" at 28, and I said "Heck, I'm not gonna be old until I'm dead and in an urn on someone's mantel", and I got to wondering. In days gone by, it was just a foregone conclusion that you were buried, and cremation was rare. But, in the present day, cremation seems to make the most sense, from most standpoints, especially economical. I can't imagine why I'd want to slowly decompose (not that it matters to me, I'll be dead)...or not decompose for 400 years! That's just weird. The only way that I would wish to be buried is if my death happened under somewhat questionable circumstances, and someone thought that at some future date they'd have to exhume me to see if someone poisoned me or something.

I, too, think that survivors sometimes get a psychological benefit from having their loved one in a place they can visit often. And yes, it is important to find out your loved one's wishes.

Yeah, Denny, I'm on the donor list, too. Part me out, and shake and bake what's left of me. Or give it to Doctor Frankenstein :D

And, funny story about the Colonel, DC. Seems the ol' boy found a way to get in his men's faces one last time. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Cremation, definitely.

Then press my ashes into a vinyl record of my greatest hits. :D

Of course, if I live as long as I hope it will be darn tough to find a decent turntable...a little gold spray paint and I'll look good on the wall. :thu:

this house is empty now...

Well, I've done signed up to let the Oncologists use me as a guinea pig so they can learn more about Multiple Myeloma treatments and their effects and have a donor card so anything left that's still usable will be used so there won't be too much left but I think proabably singe the hell out of what's left of my ass & stick it back in NoDak.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by clatteramy:

But hopefully that won't be before March 5 when we play at Benders again! Maybe we'll see you there, Tedster?

:(:( I'm working an evening shift March 5th... :(

The first thing I did when I read your post was check the date. Damn.

Checked the poll...

The "cremate me and scatter me" folks are in the lead. Not really surprising, but, to me, it is surprising that so far I'm the only one who wants to be stuck in an urn.

Four people want to go the "Frankenstein" route :D , but as tongue-in-cheek as that sounds, you could consider being cryogenically frozen the equivalent to that.

Originally posted by where02190:

Cremation, my ashes to be scattered ramdomly on the streets of Paris.

Dude, they like whip out their ding dongs and pee right on the street in Paris. Are you sure you wanna get peed on?

As for me, just put in a hefty bag and throw me out in the trash. After all, dead is dead.

Dooby Dooby Doo

The urn kind of sickens me Ted. Dunno, just wouldn't want to think of my, or anyone else, being reduced to a jar on a mantlepiece. Plus, what if it falls.

Cremation and scattering for me too, after organ donation, although that reduces the chances of being ressurected.

Anyone remember Chris Rock's outlook - organ donors have no faith in ressurection. "Mama where's my eyes? What!? You gave them to some kid in Omaha?! You bring me back from the dead and I aint got no eyes!"

Do crematoriums give discounts to the families of burn victims?

(sorry, really sorry if I offended anyone there)

Originally posted by Duddits:

Originally posted by where02190:

Cremation, my ashes to be scattered ramdomly on the streets of Paris.

Dude, they like whip out their ding dongs and pee right on the street in Paris. Are you sure you wanna get peed on?

As for me, just put in a hefty bag and throw me out in the trash. After all, dead is dead.

IMHO there is no bter place on this planet...being occiaionally wizzed on is IMHO a small price to pay to spend eternity in Paris. (This coming from someone who has wizzed on the Paris streets mroe than once...)

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Two choices:

1) The Rahsaan Roland Kirk option (which I doubt happened) - cremate me, mix my ashes with a pound of the best available weed (Big Sur Holy Weed) and let my friends sit around and smoke me up.

2) Watch the Robin Williams movie Toys - seems to be getting pay on the cable movie channels now. Great way to be remembered, but too complicated to explain.

But seriously, I haven't figured it out yet. I think what I really want is to be buried in a not-so-tightly sealed coffin, to naturally decompose, like Beethoven. But not with a big stone and all the hoopla that goes with it. Just a small marker - those who knew me and want to fond me can do so, the others wouldn't care anyway...

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Archived