Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should manufacturers provide their manuals online???

So, i buy a used Roland FC-200 foot controller without a manual. The FC-200 isn't particularly ancient, so i figure the good folks at Roland (Canada) will be happy to sell me a copy. In the past, Roland has been eager to sell me manuals at a bloated price, but at least they have been available and responsive.

It turns out that the FC-200 manual is now a special order from Japan. It will take a while and who knows how expensive? Today they did not know how much.

This seems lame, compared to say Yamaha who provide instant online free manuals for even the most obscure products they have produced.

Roland makes decent stuff, often their manuals are usually pretty lame, followed up by a "supplimentary notes" when everyone complains about the crappy manual. What is it with Roland?, they are one of the major players and still they can't produce a proper manual out of the gate. In the 1980's it was a bit of a joke reading Roland's Japanese "Engrish" manuals, but these days it is just bad business.

Why can't they have their manuals available online, for a fee or otherwise? It seems like a waste of time for the user when information could be so easily provided online.

Anyway rant over,

Question:Do you think that manufacturers should provide their manuals online?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ponyed-up $200 for Soundtrack 1.2 for the Mac. I was checking the Apple site for a few days after I decided to buy it, and everyone was asking basic questions about it, that I found in a few hours of working with the program with a manual. Most of them got Soundtracks with Final Cut Pro and no manual for Soundtracks.

Soundtracks is like Acid for a Mac, I like it! :cry:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I just ponyed-up $200 for Soundtrack 1.2 for the Mac. I was checking the Apple site for a few days after I decided to buy it, and everyone was asking basic questions about it, that I found in a few hours of working with the program with a manual. Most of them got Soundtracks with Final Cut Pro and no manual for Soundtracks.

Soundtracks is like Acid for a Mac, I like it!

What's your point???

Archived