Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How much do you sleep?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get 5-7 hours a night usually. 8 sometimes. I need 9 or 10 to feel fully rested. These days I just don't want to sleep, though. I regret the missed time in the day that I spend sleeping, so I stay up too late. Plus, when I actually do go to bed on time, I can't sleep. Usually it's my overactive mind keeping me awake, or else just general restlessness. I'm in pretty poor physical shape. You can't have my Social Security Number. :P

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

Not counting the weekends, I might get 2 1/2 to 3 hours a night. I might. Typically it's 1 1/2 to two. I'm in fair shape, though not great, because seeing as I'm up on average of 21-22 hours a day during the week, I eat twice as much as the next person. I'm not really gaining any weight (well, 2lbs over the last 8 months), but I don't have the time to really "work out".

Fridays into Saturdays I turn into a stump. But Saturdays into Sundays, I usually get about 5-6 hours of sleep.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I love sleep. I really do.

I get about 7 hours on average. Before I owned a business and had things called weekends and didn't have a kid to make sure I was awake at 7:00am, I could easily sleep 9-10 hours.

Sleep. I think I'll get some of tha -yawn!- about now. Zzzzz. Zzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

- Jeff

I try for 5 hours per night. Often less, rarely more. Works fine for me, although I do get beat every couple months and need a couple solid days recovery. I've got a (small) studio that I'm at 25-30 hours a week, my gear pimp job 45-50 hours, my family (wife, two kids) 5 hours per week (not even CLOSE to enough), and a new house. Life's a little swamped right now. At least my studio is only about 7 minutes from home and about 12 minutes from my other job, so the commute is no big deal.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I do 5.5 - 6 hours most nights.

I wish I could get 7-8. However, Once I stir in the Am it's all over- my mind starts racing an there is no going back.

I do notice feeling clearer/more rested on those rare occasions when I do get in 7-8.

So Halljuams what about you?

Since you brought this up Im guessing you only get 4. I suspect you are concerned this is impacting your sanity ;):D

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Latest research (saw this on news about a week ago) shows that people getting too much sleep actually die younger. Those getting over 8 hours…9, 10…have the shortest lives. This is the same for those people who get too little sleep…less than 5 hours.

The ones living the longest were those in the 5.5 to 6.5 group…but the study recommends 7 as the best…and nothing more than 7.5

Go figure…after all those years of telling people that more sleep = longer life. :bor:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Sleep is wonderful. Dreams offer some of The best entertainment, don't they?

I have 3 little kids. Today they were up at 6:30. That means I'm up at 6:30. Do I want to get up at 6:30? No. I usually lose an hour a day of 'want' sleep. Whether it's work or whatver, I'm always getting up earlier than I 'want' to.

I'd like to sleep 12AM-8AM, or any variation of 8 hours. Normally, I function and live on 6.

That's really interesting, Miroslav. I can't help but wonder if those who live longer on less sleep are simply born with more durable bodies, and therefore don't need as much recovery time at night and survive longer, as opposed to 'too much sleep kills you'.

I also wonder about the lifestyle/exercise habits of someone who can actually live their entire life getting more than 8 hours of sleep a night. Mostly, I wonder how I can become one of them...

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

7 tops usually. I can get by on 6 if I didn`t exercise that day, but I need 7 - 7 1/2 otherwise. I'm in pretty good shape (swimming 2x/week, running 3x and biking 1x). Less than 6 is stupid in my case, I get less done since I'm not as alert, I didn`t really gain any time by the less time I slept. I'm totally hyper as soon as I get up, and I can honestly say I can get about 30-40% more done than anyone else I know during the day, so why sacrifice sleep? Whatever works for you, I guess.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I have been waking up a lot around 3:30. Sometimes I get back to sleep. Often I don't. I like to get up around 5 or 5:30 and start practicing. If I can get a solid hour to hour and a half before the house wakes that's paradise to me. But after a few weeks of this I start to crumble and need to force myself to try and stay in bed. Doesn't matter when I get to sleep. So I try to get to bed earlier. 10. If I'm gigging I have not problem staying awke. When I get home I'm still pumped up annd can't get to sleep. But when I'm not gigging at night, forget it. It's been a struggle for me to stay up past 10.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

A few people have mentioned that once they wake up their mind is racing and that is it, no going back to sleep.

What sorts of things are racing through the mind?

Is it just an assorted array of thoughts or business, kids etc?

Is it just a strong feeling of motivation to get up and get on with the things you love to do?

Btw Kendrix, i sleep an average of 7 hours but i feel way better when i sleep 9. Less than 7 and all i want to do is go back to bed all day, until i get home and start working on music, then i wake up pretty good and stay up too late and feel sick the next day an on goes the cycle.

I like to get lots of exercise, hiking with the dogs, skiing, biking etc but i am not able to enjoy those things as much if i am underslept and it makes it a drag. I NEED my 7 hours, i wish i needed less.

On average, 7-8 hours. Gone are the days of my youth, where i could burn the candle at both ends. It was probably those years of 3-4 hours of sleep every few days that are responsible for me being so broken down and unhealthy now.

Yet strangely, yesterday, i sprang out of bed at 7am (an hour early) and couldn't get back to sleep. I was wide awake, for no reason. That happens sometimes.

Interestingly, my roommate and I were talking about how our parents (think late 50's, early 60's) all go to bed around 8:30 and are up before the sun, and for no real "reason".

Why do people do that when they get older? Sure, there's been times when i've stayed up through the night and watched the sunrise, and it was neat, but other than that i was bored.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by halljams:

A few people have mentioned that once they wake up their mind is racing and that is it, no going back to sleep.

Is it just a strong feeling of motivation to get up and get on with the things you love to do?

Assorted thoughts, I guess. Not in a stressful way. My mind is always racing when I'm awake, except for 2 instances - when I'm playing music or exercising (which is why I need both) - I've learned to deal with it and make the most of it, and I actually enjoy it. I do drive people nuts sometimes, though.

I do have a strong feeling of motivation when I get up - usually. I know if I lazy around in bed I'll wake up in time to get to work, but if I wake up when I intend to (1 hour earlier than I need to), I can go exercise or practice piano, which I enjoy - so I why waste the time?

I always say that I ride a very thin line between being blissfully busy and stressed out busy. I can't have any other way though, and it works for me.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Interesting thread...

I loooove to sleep. However, I don't get that much, because of work and school. So usually I manage to sleep from 6 to 7 hours during the week. Weekends is different, I could go up to 9-10 and more...

A funny thing is that since I'm up every week day by 7 a.m., sometimes on a Saturday I'd jump out of bed like a crazy man thinkin' I'm late... however, I'm one of those people who can roll back and keep sleeping if allowed... :D

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Maybe 6-7 hrs. If I get 8, I feel well-rested. Everyone's different, of course, but with 6-7, I don't feel well rested. It sounds stupid: why don't I sleep more? But you know how it goes. Work, obligations, playing music, restlessness, and all those things. When I am on vacation, I sleep like a rock, often sleeping 9 hours straight.

Sometimes its work.

Sometimes its agravating over my kids.

If im working on a song ( often I am) I may be dwelling on lyrics or some musical ideas.

I sometimes have to get up and write something down so as not to lose it. - This could be just before falling asleep at night or in the very early AM. I do wish I could get an extra hours sleep in.

An interesting aspect of this is how its changed over time. When in college I could sleep much longer and later. Since having kids I cant sleep late no matter what I do. In the last few years I seem to sleep even less than in the past.

Very recently, iVe been working really intensely at the office. Im often toast by 9:30 or 10:00Pm - However if I fall asleep early I tend to wake up early.

Ive come to enjoy the solitude of the early mornings when Im the only one up in the house.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Usually 4-5 hours on weekdays and 5-6 on weekends. I never sleep straight thru, I'll get up once or twice and stay up for about 15 minutes before going back to sleep. If I sleep for 8 hours, everybody in the house knows that I'm sick.

All of the above. Often stress over whatever is stressing me at the time (which is usually poverty), musical ideas (these I HAVE to get up and work out), mundane things that need taken care of (got to go to the post office, got to buy groceries, got to do laundry), and also quite a lot of vague philosophical and spiritual thought. Like Rod, my mind never stops, and if I don't have something specific to think about, spiritual stuff is a kind of 'default'.

A year ago I went on a vacation to Egypt for about 5 weeks. Since I didn't have everyday working life to think about, my mind was blessedly free and I was able to actually enjoy myself. As it is, I hardly even function in the world around me; most of my life is in my own mind. Too much thought.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

Do you make it a priority to get enough sleep?

How much is enough for you?

What kind of physical shape are you in?

What is your Social security number?

Are there any 4 hour a night people?

Has anyone tried 2 sessions of 4 hours?

I am a student so my lifestyle is just ridiculous. I have lost all sense of night and day and just have times when i'm awake and times when i'm asleep. I have sometimes gone to breakfast at 8:00 AM BEFORE i've been to bed. As i said on a different thread you should watch the film Bringing out the dead after a period of sleep depravation and you will start hallucinating.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

usually 8-8.5 weekdays. i like to get 10 on sat but it dont seem to happen often enough.

course i say that but when i go to bed but it sometimes takes me an hour to get to sleep, my mind is buzzing.

yrs ago when i worked construction 7 was all i needed, now a desk jockey, i cant decide if its because i am older or more mentaly fatigued or lack of excersise.

i never want to get out of bed in the morning (and NO i am not depressed) and 1/2 the time i feel like i am only 1/2 awake.

on the other hand when i do get 10 hrs i am sluggish all day.

and hey Miroslav, i just read a few weeks ago a differant study. says most americans dont get enough sleep and most need 8-9 hrs.

so who's right?

according to my body it aint your report..

or may thats the problem i over sleep.

Scott

Who ever knows who's right anymore? I just happened to read a study a few minutes ago that said if you don't experience sleepiness during the day, then you should only sleep that 6-7 hours. If you do get sleepy during the day, then you should get 8 hours.

It's a noble cause, but some of these suggestions are some scientists having nothing better to do. Until you've done enough research, don't confuse people. I know people who get 7-8 hours of sleep a night who are worlds more tired than I am, actually dozing off in the middle of conversations, or just overall blatantly sleepy.

I love sleep, but if my body says wake up at 4 or 5 hours on the weekend (like last night), because it's well rested, then I'm waking up.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

When I'm busy and/or active I dont sleep much and I'm fine. 4-6 hours.

When I'm not busy I sleep too much and dont feel too good for it. 7-8 hours.

While I was at college I was in the studios for over 24 hours at a time regularly. For a while I was doing 24-36 hours three times a week and sleeping solidly for about 10 hours every two days. Sleep deprivation was kicking in but it was the source for many wierd and wonderful ideas.

As long as I've got something to motivate me I'm fine, a lot of it is in the head.

John Scotsman

weekdays, 5.5-6 hours a night

weekends, 5.5-6 hours a night

I hate it. I know I need more, I have waged pitched battles to get more and I end up with-5.5-6 hours a night. I`m about resigned to it at this point. I have always been a night person. When the rest of the world stops making noise my mind gets active. It`s not a bad thing except I usually have to wake up in the morning. I was supposed to have a workout sunday morning but I was out ding drink and karaoke the night before. that`s probably the only time I stay in bed.

But other than that my health is good, probably better than when I was in college. More exercise, less junk.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived