Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

50 Cent May Run for Office

I think this is music related, but if it has to be banished to the political forum, so be it.

I posted a hypothetical about Dr. Dre and P. Diddy running for office, that wasn't really true, but 50 actually said this. I don't think it will be too long before we see a controversial rapper running for office.

Sly :cool:

50 Cent May Run for Office

By: Matthew Villa

Thu, Dec 11, 2003 02:58 PM

Courtesy Of: The Elements

Rap superstar 50 Cent has expressed a wish to run for public office in his hometown of Farmington, CT. 50 recently purchased an 18-bedroom estate which features a nightclub, health club, movie theater and indoor pool which he acquired from Mike Tyson.

The former crack dealer has decided that if he's going to live in Farmington, CT, he may as well get involved running it, too. He states "If Arnold can do it, why can't 50?"

Neighbors in his community are far from thrilled to have him as a neighbor. The community was thrilled when Mike Tyson left the community. 50 said that his neighbors aren't happy that he's a resident.

Rap superstar 50 Cent has purchased the 46 Poplar Bars Road mansion once owned by boxing bad boy Mike Tyson for $4.1 million, according to records filed with the town clerks office.

Recording representatives for 50 cent, whose real name is Curtis James Jackson III, did not return phone calls from The Herald. The firm of Levy & Droney based in Farmington represented the rapper in the sale.

"We simply handled the real estate transaction," said attorney Joel Mandell. "We have no idea what he plans on doing with the property or how often he will be there."

The estate, which boasts a 48,000-square-foot mansion, a boathouse and servants quarters, was sold to Jackson by Monica Turner Tyson, the boxers ex-wife.

Town records show Tyson signed the house -- near the old Farmington Reservoir -- over to his wife on Dec. 12, 2002 for $1, reportedly as part of the couples divorce settlement.

Rumors began swirling around Farmington in early September that Jackson was in the market to purchase the estate.

Jackson is a well-known rap artist who collaborated with rapper Eminem on some of his albums, including the critically acclaimed "8 Mile" soundtrack from the semi-autobiographical film in which Eminem starred in 2002.

The 26-year-old multi-million-dollar recording star has record deals with both Interscope and Aftermath records, both owned by Eminem. Jacksons hits include "In Da Club" and "P.I.M.P."

Jackson is equally well-known for his "gangsta"-style run-ins with the law, including a well-publicized shoot-out in front of a New Jersey hotel last month.

The New Jersey Star Ledger reported Jackson was entering the Doubletree Hotel in Jersey City with an entourage of 12 when shots rang out. By the time police arrived, Jackson and his group had fled in several SUVs, the newspaper said, but nine casings were found in the parking lot.

It was unclear who was the shooter.

Farmington police said they have been keeping close tabs on the progress of the sale and are requesting a meeting with Jacksons representatives.

"When word got out that this may be happening, we began trying to track down who was representing him so we could meet with them to discuss any concerns," said Farmington police Capt. James Rio. "He is a citizen and we are concerned for his safety as well as the safety of the public."

The estate has a famous, if not infamous, 18-year history.

Built in 1986 by real estate mogul Ben Sisti, the home went on the auction block five years later to pay for Sistis debts for his role in the Colonial Realty debacle. The company was accused of bilking millions from unsuspecting investors.

The boxer maintained a low profile when he was in town and it is unclear how often he actually resided in Farmington.

Town land records indicate the 52-room main house has 25 full baths and 14 half baths. The home also includes two three-story spiral staircases, brass and marble fireplaces, several kitchens, four whirlpools, a sauna and a hot tub.

The house and grounds are set on 17 wooded acres near the ridgeline near the old Farmington Reservoir. The grounds include a manmade waterfall and pond with a boathouse, tennis courts and a play area for children.

In recent days, local radio personalities confirmed that they had heard rumors about the potential sale and saw the deal as a boon for the Connecticut rap market.

"This would be great for us and great for the Hartford area," said DJ Buck, program director and afternoon radio host for rap oriented WZMX Hot 93.7 based in Farmington. "He is one of our core artists and when a big timer comes to town it draws attention."

Late Night Talk Show host Jay Leno even made a reference to the possible sale a few days ago commenting that it would be "a lateral move for the neighbors" if 50 Cent bought the house from Tyson.

Local fans said they are ecstatic that the deal went through.

"I am so excited," said self-proclaimed longtime rap fan Natasha Cordero. "If I see him walking down the street, Im definitely going to jump all over him. When I heard the rumors, I was really happy, now Im really excited."

Related article: 50 Cent Buys Mike Tyson\'s Old Pad

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Christopher Kemp:

That's the beauty of democracy - any stupid mofo who wants to can run for office.

The down side, of course, is that sometimes they win. :eek:

Except I beleive, convicted felons. Misdemeanors are ok.

Personally, I think he would be no more or less effective than GW, simply because our presidents are becoming more and more ifgureheads. It's the little deputy assistant to the undersecretary that impact policy - more so than even the secy's and undersecy's.

NYC Drew

The thing about it is, is that who ever runs is more likely to get elected than not. But maybe the good thing that will come out of it is that, a lot of 18 to 24 year olds who never voted will finally register and vote, they've already voted with their pocketbooks.

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived