Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new approach to transporting keyboards

Sam Mullins

Ran across this quote from a satisfied customer on the Nord keyboards home page and thought it would amuse some of you. I don't know what to make of this. Why would you have a keyboard without a case on top of your vehicle travelling 60 mph?

"The Nord Electro 4 SW73 is the finest keyboard I have ever owned in 50 years, but it is "My Miracle Keyboard" as it just last Saturday, April 7, 2014, survived a brutal fall from 6' high atop my van vehicle traveling 60 mph onto the highway pavement. It was not even in a case. Somehow all the keys are still performing perfectly with all the sounds but just the bottom 10 white keys which were broken off in the fall. Thanks again for the best keyboard I have owned out of 30+ instruments in over 50 years."

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how some guys can take their $3000 keyboards and fling them around in $100 soft cases, or no case at all, has always boggled my senses. hard cases are heavy, bulky, and more expensive, but they give me peace of mind. my keys don't leave the house without being snuggled into an ATA case.

technically, they leave the house - to get to the garage where I leave the case at home. they just don't pass the threshhold to the outside unforgiving world.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I use softcase gig bags, but then I put them on the cushioned backseat of my car. (INSIDE the car, in case that wasn't clear). And they are not $3000 boards. Average gigging board that I use was purchased used for about $700 and under.

New $3000 board, no case, on top of a van? Friggin' nuts. :crazy:

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

The only way I can envision that whole scenario is that he normally put the keyboard in the van on top of everything else, but without a case. And in this situation, he intended to put it temporarily on the top of the van while other stuff was loaded...and then forgot it was up there and drove off. Nothing else makes any sense.

Not that packing it loose on top of everything is a good idea.

Personally, I use the Yamaha soft bag for the MOXF and a semi-rigid case for my Nord Stage 2. But I average about one gig a month and haul my own stuff (and only my own stuff) in my car. I deem the potential risk to my pocketbook as less than the risk to my back with hard cases. :o If I was on the road regularly, it would be a different story.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I would never take a keyboard anywhere minus an SKB case, just as I would never drop trou and sit on a barrel cactus. You can count on similar results. Your @$$ will heal, but your synth, not being made of "Terminator" liquid memory metal, won't bounce back so readily. Nothing makes your heart clench in quite the same way as watching a synth partially disintegrate due to a "misadventure." :facepalm:

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

I have hard cases for my gear (1/2" cases, in fact!), but also soft cases. I was dead set on hard cases until I slipped on the ice and dropped one on my hand two years ago and snapped a finger...six days before the birth of my first child. The Mrs. was not pleased. Since then, I usually use soft or semi-rigid cases when I'm hauling my own gear. But I have hard cases for everything for when it rides in the trailer. No way I'd ever let anybody else haul my gear without a hard case.

I have 1 hard case, for my FA08, it's a big SKB with wheels, etc. The rest of my boards are in soft bags. I load all my own gear into my own vehicle, so I know it's being done in a way to not damage anything.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I was a huge flight case zealot for over 20 years when all my gear would frequently ride in an equipment truck or trailer, never really sure if it would be on the top or the bottom, handled by others, etc. I was a stickler to order custom-made flight cases (Anvil style by a local shop) and I still have several of these.

In more recent years, I've been transporting my own gear in a very safe manner, so I've shifted to soft cases/gig bags with good success. The only time I'm briefly worried is during quick setup/changeover and my keyboards are slightly at risk in the hustle and bustle on stage. But I have control of the situation 90+% of the time and the soft cases are working for me.

I've found that as I get older, my interest in lugging 40-50 lb keyboards in 50-60 lb cases has diminished. But there is definitely a place for flight cases!

Flight case is not enough protection when baggage handlers run over it. Good to read that Virgin are undertaking a full investigation. You would think that they would offer compensation and then undertake a full investigation. After all Virgin Australia are about to announce a record half year profit thanks to the slump in oil prices.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived