Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Your Opinion on Show Reports in EQ

Well, the March issue of EQ just showed up at my house (for some reason I get it before anyone else, go figure), and the main feature is our Winter NAMM report. Now, we put a lot of effort into this -- scouting down products, sorting through press release and photos, etc. -- and I was wondering just how important/useful show reports are to you, especially now that we're trying to report on trends and such, not just pieces of gear. So please take the poll, and check the option that most accurately describes your opinion. Thank you very much!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's very a good idea focusing on trends as well as exsisting gear,especially for a magazine.I'm just a private musicician,so the practicallity of me traveling to trade shows is not feesable,but I do wan't to know what's coming as far as desicisions on future purchases.I might hold off on something if I know a better solution is coming.Apart from me,I'm sure many project or mid studio level people feel similar.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

If is available on stores I'll pick it up today or tomorrow.

But I think it's very important to us [little guys] to have a medium connecting us with those shows.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

EQ has show reports? ;)

I get my information mostly from you guys. If I WAS going to read a musical instrument related magazine again, I would definitely be interested in both gear and trend centered reporting.

Knowing the trends is absolutely important in an age where 6 months can be the difference between new and obsolete. Trends let us know where the industry seems to be headed. It can make a huge impact on what we choose to buy to create, record, and edit our recordings and play out, live.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I totally look forward to the show reports in EQ. I'm interested in seeing how it's done with the "new direction" and all, but I'm sure it will keep with the time honored tradition of doing a damn good job bringing the trade show to those of us who did not attend. It's like having your buddy show you all the cool new toys, as well as the ones you might have missed, but could be cool nonetheless.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I prefer the editoralized view of NAMM over a simple "here's the specs on the new gear" approach. The latter can be found on the Harmony Central NAMM press release pages and also on the manufacturer's websites. I'd much rather read different articles outlining what Craig, Mitch and the others saw and were excited about, what they thought was odd or downright dumb, etc.

Paul

Originally posted by gmstudio99:

I'd much rather read different articles outlining what Craig, Mitch and the others saw and were excited about, what they thought was odd or downright dumb, etc.

Paul

Yep! :thu:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

It's been said a few times already, but I'll chime in anyway. I think that a thorough review of trade shows is of major benefit to those who are not able to attend them.

And to those who are able to attend such functions, please don't ruin it for the rest of us by complaining about the space it takes up in one issue.

(No, I'm not saying anyone is complaining. Just that if you're thinking about it... think twice.)

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Originally posted by ViLo:

Originally posted by gmstudio99:

I'd much rather read different articles outlining what Craig, Mitch and the others saw and were excited about, what they thought was odd or downright dumb, etc.

Paul

Yep! :thu:
I'll third that. :)

I have not seen the March issue yet Craig, so I'm not sure if / how you've changed the format of the trade show coverage from that of previous issues. But I did respond to the poll and said that they are of serious importance to me.

As you know, I try to get out to the trade shows - at least the LA area ones. But I've never been to Messe, and of course,AES isn't always in LA... not to mention summer NAMM (I try to avoid Nashville in the summer...) - IOW, there's a lot of shows I don't get to attend, and having a report from people I trust - you, Mitch, etc. - is almost as good as going myself. At least I know the trends and any significant product releases.

So in a nutshell, I'd like to see the coverage continue, and yes, please, cover what the vibe of the show was, the trends you see developing and the "mood" of the crowd.

Looking forward to reading the March EQ. I'm sure it's great as always. :wave:

I chose the third option but I think it depends on if you have a keen interest in something at the time I could easily check the first two options if my interest is focused on something new being released during the current report...

like the windows Mach Five or the new EMU samplers.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

As you know, I try to get out to the trade shows - at least the LA area ones. But I've never been to Messe, and of course,AES isn't always in LA... not to mention summer NAMM (I try to avoid Nashville in the summer...)

Go to Messe if you get a chance.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Originally posted by peake@pacificnet.net:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

As you know, I try to get out to the trade shows - at least the LA area ones. But I've never been to Messe, and of course,AES isn't always in LA... not to mention summer NAMM (I try to avoid Nashville in the summer...)

Go to Messe if you get a chance.
I'd love to. But getting away for a week can be hard for me.

Archived