Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Phone companies

Well, as of this morning, I now unwillingly have three different providers of telephone service.

Verizon handles my local service and custom calling features.

AT&T is my long distance provider.

And today, Cingular purchased AT&T Wireless, which was my mobile provider.

This is just getting silly. I have another company who I pay for my satallite TV service, and yet another one I pay for providing internet service. And another I pay to host my site.

Did we ever, in history, have this many utility services that we deem necessary? It's getting nuts.

- Jeff

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Famous last words...

"Life will be better when Ma Bell ceases to be a monopoly." (paraphrasing the thoughts of congressmen at the birth of the Baby Bells.)

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't remember a telephone I could break without literally throwing it at a brick wall until Ma Bell was disolved. Sure, there weren't many to choose from back then, but you could buy a phone that would last you a lifetime.

I'm thoroughly unconvinced that competition by phone companies has been a good thing. Say what you will about rates, but at least regulators required Ma Bell was up front about what was provided. Now, every phone company tries to get you to sign up for a package that looks a hell-of-a-lot better that it is. Not to mention those that were changing people's phone service using extra-fine print in prize giveaways, requests for information about unrelated products, etc. Many times without a signature.

Telecom is one of the slimiest businesses after used car sales, these days, IMHO.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Telecom is one of the slimiest businesses after used car sales, these days, IMHO.

You greatly overestimate the sliminess of used car sales.

For the record, i've seen both from the inside.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

You greatly overestimate the sliminess of used car sales.

For the record, i've seen both from the inside.

:D I'm set to believe you, but my wife deals with new and used car dealers daily... so if you're correct, I'm frightened... very frightened. (I don't have to deal with car dealers. But if I want any kind of communication device I'm going to need at least one Tel-comm company. :freak::eek:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived