Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Here's what I wish was an option.

richforman

A Kronos 73-key version, but with semi-weighted or unweighted synth-action type keys like on the 61, rather than weighted keys like the 88. Kind of "gassing" for one to eventually replace my Fantom X7 as the "top" keyboard in my live rig, not looking to replace my MOXF8 as my 88-weighted piano-type "bottom" keyboard. Want all the sound engines and features of the Kronos, but in a nice lightweight package with a keyboard more suited to lead-synth and organ type parts playing.....and having used the X7 in that role for many years now, man I am so spoiled by having 76 (73 would be fine too) keys up top instead of 61, that seems to go LOT farther in terms of setting up song-specific multi-part performance splits, I almost feel like I couldn't happily go back to 61. Oh well, just thought I'd share.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about a Kronos 73 with drawbars instead of faders with same functionality and a slick synth action albeit with waterfall keys? ;)

I know there are likely velocity curves in the settings, do they save with the patch? Is there a trigger point setting as well?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I liked the approach Korg took with the M50 and thought that could be implemented with the Kronos - more of a modular approach. Have the top panel and electronics that could be used tabletop or mounted to the keyboard of your choice - with a selection of 61/76/88 key weighted/semi-weighted/unweighted.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yeah, the dearth of lightweight 73/76 boards is an issue for many of us. And you can practically forget about aftertouch!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I liked the approach Korg took with the M50 and thought that could be implemented with the Kronos - more of a modular approach. Have the top panel and electronics that could be used tabletop or mounted to the keyboard of your choice - with a selection of 61/76/88 key weighted/semi-weighted/unweighted.
That was the M3.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Other than a fully weighted 88-key piano, I prefer synth keys for everything else. In a 73 or 76-key synth, I definitely prefer aftertouch-equipped synth keys.

I too would like to see a synth-weighted Kronos in this size, or whatever Kurzweil does next to supersede the PC3 series (e.g. "PC4", "K3000", etc). I love my PC361, but an extra octave of keys would be nice.

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

That was the M3.

Yes, my bad - it didn't sound right when I was typing it, but I was in a hurry.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Maybe consider a Jupiter 50/80? Superb synth action, and 76 keys.

My Kronos 61 sits right above my Jupiter 50 in my workspace. My recurrent dream is that they will meld into one, 76-key uber instrument. :drool:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'd trade my Kronos 61 for a 73/76 synth-key version. Managing/remembering split points on the 61 is a total pita.

They should be able to keep a 73 key model under 38 pounds.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Jupiter 50/80 look and sound awesome, I would love to have one, but if I understand correctly, they are limited to 3 or 4 parts, respectively, per performance set-up; and no sampling or nice big UI screen; so no, they wouldn't quite be able to replace the functionality of my Fantom X7. Ah well.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

What about a Kronos 73 with drawbars instead of faders with same functionality and a slick synth action albeit with waterfall keys? ;)

I'm in!

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Jupiter 50/80 look and sound awesome, I would love to have one, but if I understand correctly, they are limited to 3 or 4 parts, respectively, per performance set-up; and no sampling or nice big UI screen; so no, they wouldn't quite be able to replace the functionality of my Fantom X7. Ah well.
Oh that's not at all true. The Jupiter can have, technically, more than 16 layers of sounds going at once (~25 I believe). No sampling though.

Think the Jordan Rudess approach where each sound that sounds like it's one patch is really a mix of 4. Because the JP has Partials that make up Tones that make up Live Sets that make up Registrations. 1 partial is 1 oscillator, 1 tone is 1 basic sound, 1 Live Set is a thing that sounds like it's one sound, and 1 Registration is where you split and layer.

But you can also split within a Live Set I think. I never owned one.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I wish the Kronos had 2 more assignable pedal inputs. One more pedal input to map to modulation or pitch control while the primary is mapped to volume. One more switch input to map to set List decrement JUST IN CASE I tap the increment twice on accident.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm in!

I would like that also but might prefer 61 keys instead of 73.

:nopity:

Archived