Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Attitude/Vision of Bass Education

Jeff Berlin

Hi to all! A great and powerful awareness came to me, something that really impacted with me after two and a half years of the pursuit of a more peaceful me.

I have always exhibited a combative nature, something that was out of control, something that even if I reeled it in, would eventually come out again. I spent 40 years in a manner of vision about teaching that was not very loving or generous to my fellow teachers. Recently, a light went off in me not too long ago where I was as in shock about my attitude that I portrayed in the bass world. I was ashamed at my behavior and felt a need to write my thoughts here about this.

It is necessary for me to apologize to teachers, schools, and everyone and anyone that teaches for my abysmal behavior for decades. Realizing that one post does not erase the bad Karma (that which I am feeling deeply) I wanted to say that I have not changed a single thought about how I feel that bass players can learn to the best of their ability, What I recognize now is that other people that teach also believe in their methods and philosophies and that my manner of communication was out of line, to say the least.

I want to apologize publicly to Victor Wooten, Ed Friedland, Steve Bailey, and any and all bass teachers and any and all bass magazines, or any place, source of learning or offering of advice for my bad behavior. I have a lot to own, and I wanted to start this thread to continue in this task of owning what I did and sharing my intention to never point fingers or criticize anyone for their beliefs in how to impart musical information to their students. I do stand by my ideas about learning, but so do they.

I want to be among these bass players, to share a stage in music, and to share musical thoughts about playing improvement. I want to be a member in good standing with any and all sources of bass education and provide my thoughts right along those of other teachers. Whatever comes, I have learned about the importance of embracing people for their differences and, of course, for their similarities.

Thank you all for reading.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'm not aware of the behavior that prompted these words, but they seem heartfelt and sincere, so good on you for that. Contrition and forgiveness can be powerful forces for good in the world. A good way to start a new year.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Insight is hard to come by. Good on'ya for finding some.

Maybe lighten up a bit. "Robot Chicken" is a good place to start; this clip especially if'n you're a CSI fan. Oar even if 'yer knot.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I feel like you're maybe being a little too hard on yourself, but I admire the sentiment and the desire for self reflection and improvement. In fact, I find it inspiring. Keep on doing what you do!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I feel like you're maybe being a little too hard on yourself, but I admire the sentiment and the desire for self reflection and improvement. In fact, I find it inspiring. Keep on doing what you do!

This is a part of my owning what I did. I did a lot of things that were not nice and I did them from a place of not being grounded. My owning my behavior to my colleagues was a long time in coming, and I am glad to turn another corner and head down a new path, that of acceptance for people and their differences. Victor is a good man. So is Steve Bailey. So are all teachers wishing to help their students. We might have different views about teaching, but so what! I hope that we can share a stage and offer thoughts to people interested in learning from us both. Also at Berklee or any other school. The attack days are over and there is a lot of music to share.

Hey Jeff, Great to see you here! We've had our differences of opinion over the years, but I've never felt like it was anything personal. I know other colleagues have had more intense "discussions" with you.

I think when bass players and bass teachers get to a certain level of proficiency and/or success, we naturally say that our system of learning and playing is the *best*. I tell my students that I have to teach them the way I learned to play (or the way I'm continuing to learn) any other way of teaching is going to be false for me. Some of the ways I teach mesh with your teaching style, and other things don't.

I know that you teach your students in the way that you know and believe is best. I do the same thingand I know the cats you mention above are doing the same. They teach the way they learned to play, and the way they believe works to make good music.

Over the years, you've done great things for the bass community, and you continue to do great things. I welcome you to the MusicPlayer Forums, and I hope you'll stick around and offer your comments, expertise and good vibes.

www.goldsby.de

This kinda reminds me of the polemic around the "Whiplash" movie. Methods and attitudes vary, all around the world, and this has been so for centuries. While there is not a single "perfect" method for training and teaching music (Me myself have been trying to teach music the last 27 years, finding over and over that I have to reinvent myself to teach something, then to find it is ME who has to learn a new thing then), I guess there are (and will ever be) certain approaches that DO work "universally", and some others that work in a more individualistic way. But in the end is each one's abilities and will (both to teach and to learn from somebody else's) which bring results to the table.

I've always respected you, Jeff, both as a musician and as a teacher (I remember being a young teen avidly reading your GP's column back in the 80s!), and I understand where you do come from on this one. I applaud you, not only for your achievements, but for helping, either directly or indirectly, all of us in the music community, not only to be better musicians, but from a standpoint like this, to also be better humans.

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Archived