Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your best buy of 2015

Bachus

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mini KORG-700

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/minikorg700.jpg

Really enjoying the bass out of this thing, some nice upright bass sounds to be had if you have call for it. The attack punches just right.

Would be nice if it were a little more flexible with 2nd osc and full adsr. My one's in fairly good nick so I'm not sure if I'd want to start plumbing extra jack sockets into the back but together with Expert Sleepers, a Mother 32 and a few Eurorack modules could be a cute little system.

SSV3 unfortunately went back, perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance just demo-ing it in different rooms in the house. Same thing with the mkII version I tried. The colouration it added didn't work with my Nord Wave.

mini KORG-700

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/minikorg700.jpg

Really enjoying the bass out of this thing, some nice upright bass sounds to be had if you have call for it. The attack punches just right.

Would be nice if it were a little more flexible with 2nd osc and full adsr. My one's in fairly good nick so I'm not sure if I'd want to start plumbing extra jack sockets into the back but together with Expert Sleepers, a Mother 32 and a few Eurorack modules could be a cute little system.

SSV3 unfortunately went back, perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance just demo-ing it in different rooms in the house. Same thing with the mkII version I tried. The colouration it added didn't work with my Nord Wave.

I have one of these to sell. I haven't put it up on eBay yet because I know I have the manual around somewhere and want to include it. Also one of the knobs is a bit noisy and I want to get inside and clean it out first. Have the music stand for it as well.

Carl

I have one of these to sell. I haven't put it up on eBay yet because I know I have the manual around somewhere and want to include it. Also one of the knobs is a bit noisy and I want to get inside and clean it out first. Have the music stand for it as well.

Carl

I've been in that situation before, missing RAM cartridges/manuals, frustrating eh?

Well I think the synth by itself should get a good price and you can always say you'll send it on when you find it. I got mine for a song from a steep (£) Central London store, dunno what they were doing but I think I even prefer it to my Yamaha SY-1. Tempting to try and pick up a Roland SH-3 so I've got the Trinity of Big Japanese companies' first synths ;)

ELX112P! (it replaced an unnamed device some practice chainsawing on)

second place = Radial Pro D2

third place = stereo cable with Right Angle connectors going into my keyboard

(my kids "gave" me #2 and #3 for Christmas, er thanks kids. They had no idea what the D2 was, lol)

not very ambitious, I know ... i think 2016 is going to be a breakout gear year for me. I want to create a virtual rig I can take to any fly-away show and plug into any controller. but I'm clueless and lack the industry requisite to solve the riddles before me. so I sit and wait, think and wait ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

A guy locally was selling a Moog Prodigy for $50, I missed it by 1/2 hour , But he also had a 1972 stage Rhodes he wasn't using, a bit dirty , gigged for many years. I offered him $300, he took it. It was complete, everything worked but needed some work. I got it home to find out it is a Buzz Watson model. I gave it to Max at Cepco , had it restored and man this thing sounds and plays great. I actually take it out to gigs I love it so much ( within reason ! )

http://s12.postimg.org/ihw8zxrpp/IMG_4610.jpg

Ive brought other gear in 2015 but this is my best purchase.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 1 month later...
Hey, anyone near Vero Beach wants to come over and give it a spin, I'm in. It's a truly amazing instrument.

I took Chuck up on his offer and had the pleasure of meeting him in-person and playing his Bosendorfer Klimt piano. It was an all around wonderful experience: Chuck's a great guy and his piano is the best I've ever played! Such an evenness of tone across the entire range and an overall sound that is so beautifully full (i.e., sort of orchestral to my ear). Thank you Chuck and congratulations! Wishing you many wonderful years of piano heaven with with your incredible instrument.

Here's a short video my wife took with her iPhone.

[video:youtube]tWC7chr5-9g

Two happy forumites!

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1449/25017498006_9067b71f40_c.jpg

Hey, anyone near Vero Beach wants to come over and give it a spin, I'm in. It's a truly amazing instrument.

I took Chuck up on his offer and had the pleasure of meeting him in-person and playing his Bosendorfer Klimt piano. It was an all around wonderful experience: Chuck's a great guy and his piano is the best I've ever played! Such an evenness of tone across the entire range and an overall sound that is so beautifully full (i.e., sort of orchestral to my ear). Thank you Chuck and congratulations! Wishing you many wonderful years of piano heaven with with your incredible instrument.

Two happy forumites!

Nice stuff guys. Awesome

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Found an Oberheim Four Voice with DS-2a sequencer, all with Anvil cases. The cases need new foam and the gear needs an overhaul. I've done restorations on Oberheims and Memorymoogs so this one will be interesting.

They had belonged to a studio owner who is a guitar player. He got my name through a tech friend and asked how much effort it would take to restore them. When I relayed the damage it was more than he wanted to spend, so he offered to trade. He wanted a vintage polysynth so I am restoring this 2nd Memorymoog I owned - which I bought from a friend for $400 - for the trade. Ultimately I paid $400 for the FVS, but the replacement parts and labor for restoration will add up fast.

I took Chuck up on his offer...

That's so cool you got down there and btw beautiful playing! I'm totally jealous and hoping to visit Chuck one of these days.

He wanted a vintage polysynth so I am restoring this 2nd Memorymoog I owned - which I bought from a friend for $400 - for the trade. Ultimately I paid $400 for the FVS, but the replacement parts and labor for restoration will add up fast.

Awesome deal Michael - congrats! I have no doubt you'll bring that baby back to life. Post some before/after pics when you get it going. I got my Memmoog back together this weekend after performing your prescribed refurb over several weeks; doing some final checks before I apply power and then final calibration.

I did not buy any keyboards in 2015. I did buy a Fender Custom Shop 61 Stratocaster Wildwood 10. I'm not worthy, but it is a great guitar. I'm keeping my eye on a Prophet 6 in 2016.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

Two happy forumites!

Just as Al said, a great experience all around. We all sat around and listened to Al bring out the best in the instrument. Wish I could play half as well!

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I got a RD-700 GX when I fried part of the mother board on my RD-700. The keyboard action is a giant improvement as well as the menu interface, piano/ep sounds, effects and the extra zone. I was disappointed that some of the go to fat sounds in the RD-700 are not in the GX.

In 2016 I will replace my fried XK1Cant wait!

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Two happy forumites!

Very cool guys. Even with the iPhone recording you can tell that piano has some serious tone. I'm sure in person, listening out in the room or sitting at it, it's stunning !

Is that an inlay on the music rest ? The styling looks really exotic !

Congrats again Chuck. And good to hear you play Round Midnight Al. Sounds great. :)

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Two happy forumites!

Very cool guys. Even with the iPhone recording you can tell that piano has some serious tone. I'm sure in person, listening out in the room or sitting at it, it's stunning !

Is that an inlay on the music rest ? The styling looks really exotic !

Congrats again Chuck. And good to hear you play Round Midnight Al. Sounds great. :)

Al brings serious game, no question of that. Serious tone, yes. Almost intoxicating, especially as I've got the room acoustically set up. And, yes, there's all sorts of gold inlay work in the piano. Not exactly one of a kind, but close enough!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Kurz Forte!!!!

Purchased from da man himself David Weiser & the board is an all in one performance DP. KB3 is amazing (the vent is riding the bench for now) & the AP's are incredible... DW recently came out with some AP freebies for the Forte that are spot on & Kurz is coming out with more updates very soon. Even my wife agrees investment well spent. :)

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Tossup between my Kawai MP7 and a pair of EV ZXA1-90 speakers. Both make my keyboard rig that much more inspiring to play!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Archived