Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

forbes - top earners in music 2015

ElmerJFudd

Well... Krystian Zimerman, Daniel Barenboim, Mitsuko Uchida aren't on the list. But neither is Lang Lang.

Keith Jarrett didn't make the cut. But neither did Herbie, Chick, nor Brad Mehldau.

Elton DID make the list but not Billy. Nope, not Stevie. Keith Emerson, nope. Rick Wakeman, nope. Not even Jordan Rudess and he does a LOT of shilling! ;)

"Adeles 25 sold a record-smashing 3.38 million copies the week after its November 20th releasebut even if her launch had fallen within our scoring period, she wouldnt have been among musics top earners. Touring is now the industrys main moneymaker. The list of the Worlds Highest-Paid Musicians is compiled by considering pretax income from June 2014-June 2015 before deducting fees for managers, agents and lawyers with data from Nielsen SoundScan, Pollstar, RIAAand, in many cases, from the artists themselves and their representatives."

Here's the list...

Katy Perry - $135 million

One Direction - $130m - bands. They have to split that!

Garth Brooks - $90m WTF I thought he retired!

Taylor Swift - $80m

The Eagles - $73.5m - they've been splitting that for a long time. ;)

Calvin Harris - $66m - who the F is Calvin Harris?

Justin Timberlake - $63m

Diddy - $60m with no touring??? He's playing the market.

Fleetwood Mac - $59.5m

Lady Gaga - $59m

The Rolling Stones - $57.5m I think Jagger keeps most of it and loans Keith and the rest what they need.

Ed Sheeran - $57m

Jay Z - $56m

Beyonce - $54.5m

Elton John - $53.5m

Toby Keith - $53m - go figure

Paul McCartney - $51.5m

Michael Buble - $45.5m

The rest...

Just having a bit of fun. Enjoy it for what it's worth. :)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I made about $2,000 this year, playing out once or twice a month. The sad fact is if the list included ALL musicians who perform, I am probably at the median income.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Wow, only $135 million at the top? Your average leveraged buyout financial speculator gets that for a monthly bonus these days, and spends it on another luxury condo in NYC that no-one lives in! :)

Tell me when anyone hits a few billion, like Activision bought Candy Crush for (to shift $6 billion of cash over to the UK and avoid paying US taxes on it, most likely)..... this stuff is crumbled peanut shells, by modern standards. No wonder the music industry is dead.

What I'd like to know is what sales? Adele sold 3.38 million copies of what? I thought physical media was dead so what kind of sales are these?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

You can be the best carpenter in the world, but to earn a living, you have to make things people want to buy......even if it's just step stools.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You can be the best carpenter in the world, but to earn a living, you have to make things people want to buy......even if it's just step stools.

That's the crux of it ain't it. And yet there is a high end market. I mean you could make an artisan's step stool. One off at a time, meticulously hand crafted by a skilled wood worker. He'd sell a lot less of them than the one from IKEA. Would have to charge more for it - maybe 5 times as much, maybe 10. Some connoisseur of step stools with deep pockets would go for it from time to time and the artist would eek out a living without compromising his art. Is there a musical equivalent? I suppose so, maybe, maybe not.

That's the crux of it ain't it. And yet there is a high end market. I mean you could make an artisan's step stool. One off at a time, meticulously hand crafted by a skilled wood worker. He'd sell a lot less of them than the one from IKEA. Would have to charge more for it - maybe 5 times as much, maybe 10. Some connoisseur of step stools with deep pockets would go for it from time to time and the artist would eek out a living without compromising his art. Is there a musical equivalent? I suppose so, maybe, maybe not.

For those who make their living at the top of a chart like this, good for them. For the rest of us, I often say we have to work at "multiple streams of income." I know a bunch of cats who make their living in music but we all do multiple things. Gigs with multiple bands, teaching, writing, arranging, producing, session work, etc., are all potential sources of income. I wouldn't just make step stools, I'd make chairs and tables, and I'd give classes on how to do stuff yourself. I'd work with other carpenters to make items that one carpenter can't do by himself. I might design items that other carpenters could build. All that has to be balanced with the quality of the product. I don't want to do all these different things if that means the quality of the step stools suffers.

It's a lot of work and it means I don't just play music 100% of the time, but it's way more rewarding to me than some desk job for a company that really doesn't care about me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's for sure, I tell the young musicians I meet and students the same thing. At the end of the day, you are able to do music for a living. So smile and enjoy. It won't get you rich, and you'll have to be a jack-of-all things musical, but you'll earn a living if you do it all.

I'm not sure what we're looking at here. Do these include tour grosses (which would make Katy Perry's figure more understandable) or did she actually net this much personally? And how much did she pay the sharks? :D

Do they include non-musical sources like product endorsements? If that's the case, where's Dr. Dre - the billionaire hip-hop artist and headphone entrepreneur?

Actually the most impressive of the bunch to me is Calvin Harris. Those festival guys just show up and pocket the cash - with most of the expenses borne by promoters.

This is pretax income from June 2014-June 2015 before deducting fees for managers, agents and lawyers with data from Nielsen SoundScan, Pollstar, RIAAand, in many cases, from the artists themselves and their representatives. So it's all income. Dre is further down the list around 30 million during this time period.

Archived