Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going Mojo

John Tweed

Just pulled the trigger on a Mojo, and now I'm waiting to find out the shipping details. I expect it will arrive sometime in January. I've been wanting a dual manual organ for a while. Last year I sold off enough surplus keyboards and various items to cover the cost. My initial thought was to get an SK2 as the sensible choice to go with my SK1. But the lack of separate lower and pedal drawbars meant I couldn't quite bring myself to go for it. None of the other clones have generated any interest for me.

Meanwhile the Mojo has been receiving a lot of love in the form of recent reviews and comments from HammondDave, Mitch Towne and others (thanks guys!). As I don't get many chances to play a real B3 I appreciate the insights from you folks on the finer details. I used to play guitar, then one day I heard a Jimmy Smith record ... and I have been chasing that sound ever since (with a few side trips).

One of the reasons I was hesitating on the Mojo was the lack of an 11 (or 8) pin Leslie connector. Then I discovered the Midi Rotary Interface that GSI sell and realised that will work out better for me - I haven't been able to use my 147 with the SK1 as I only have the 1147 adaptor that worked so well with the XK3 (now sold).

The latest updates to the keyboard sealed the deal for me. I always thought the XK3 was more like some of the consoles I have played, and the SK1 feels more highly sprung than the XK3 did.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, congratulations and welcome to the club..! You're going to love the Mojo. I was an early adopter and I've been a huge fan if the Mojo since the day I got it, and it has continued to somehow evolve and get better and better!

The Mojo has a warmth that I haven't heard in any other clone, and also it has a really authentic character, a complexity in the way that the tones combine, that I've only heard in the Mojo and the HX3, it's just more authentic sounding to my ears than any other clone.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I'm anxious to see what this will look like.. I'm wondering if it will have a built in LED screen for editing and/or a Gemini audio engine and all its extra sounds? maybe it will have the functionality of the Burn, with a tube circuit, and editing via iPhone like the DMC...? It could be a simple single manual Mojo, or something else that's got a lot more functionality. It could be a foreshadowing of a Mojo II. NAMM will be interesting.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Is there a single manual version of this thing? I didn't see one on the website.
You guys just aren't patient enough. You probably don't stay for the post-credit scenes during the Marvel movies, either.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...

It's here! Arrived yesterday in two large boxes, one with the gig bag and stand and the other with the organ. I haven't had a lot of time to play it yet (it's my youngest daughter's 21st birthday today!).

First impressions; classic look, solid but at the same time light enough to hold with one hand. The soft case looks good and protective too, and the wheels will make it easy to get around. I got the stand as well (from the Crumar site the stand and gig bag are only available when ordered with a Mojo). The stand turns out to be identical (apart from the Crumar logo) to the one I've been using with my SK1 when I am also using pedals. This is good because I can leave one stand in the van ready for gigs and leave the other one set up at home.

Of course it sounds great! I've not had a chance to compare it directly with the SK1 as yet, but it's safe to say they both sound excellent. There are more "artifacts" in the Mojo sound than the SK1. For example playing the second A from the top with just the 16' drawbar, I hear another A three octaves lower. The notes either side don't exhibit this behaviour. I'm assuming that this is leakage or crosstalk? I don't have enough experience with proper consoles to know for sure.

I understand I can hook up a monitor and tweak a whole bunch of parameters. Is there no way to change the tonewheel set and other hidden params without the monitor, or the Mojo editor they sell separately? All you other Mojo users out there, are you using the editor? In HammondDave's review he mentions updating the software to 2.5(?) from 6.1. It's kind of unusual to go backwards with updates. Can someone enlighten me as to why this might be a good idea?

This is kind of a retirement present for myself (I turn 65 later this year). I've toyed with the idea over the years of getting a real console, but that would just sit at home taking up a lot of space in our smallish house. I'm really excited about this instrument, as I'll be able to take it out and gig with it! Come to think of it, I've never bought a keyboard that I couldn't move around easily, with the sole exception of an old upright I had many years ago.

Pricewise it's ending up costing a little more than an SK2, mainly due to various taxes we have in Australia. We have a 10% GST on anything coming into the country priced at over $1000, so I was expecting that. I wasn't expecting another $150 on top for import duties or excise or whatever they call it. This makes the Mojo the most expensive keyboard I've ever bought, not even counting for the fact that I bought it sight unseen. That's another point for this forum, without which I may never had heard of the Mojo.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Yes to the octave artifact being crosstalk. This was caused on the original console by 4 tonewheels being in the same shielded space in the generator.

Yes to changing tonewheel sets without a monitor, use the shift key and the lower 1 and 2 to scroll thru them. No UI means you will have to start from 1 and count up. When set 1 is selected and the shift button is on, the left 1 preset button lights up.

The firmware 6.1 is the newest. It simplifies some of the hidden features previously activated when you hit the shift button in combination with other buttons or knobs. If you were not careful, you could inadvertently change things without realizing it. Some prefer the last version which is 2.5 and has those hidden features, others prefer the simpler 6.1.

You can try both and switch back and forth freely.

Moe

---

There are a lot of advantages going back to 2.5. I found the shift functionality very easy to use, making the Mojo a much more versatile instrument for live applications. In addition, 2.5 has MIDI Learn, allowing you to program your rotary dials to control any parameter. I changed my treble know to Leslie balance and my bass knob to Leslie microphone distance.

How do you like the Keybed? To me, this is the most important Improvement.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It's here! Arrived yesterday in two large boxes, one with the gig bag and stand and the other with the organ. I haven't had a lot of time to play it yet (it's my youngest daughter's 21st birthday today!).

First impressions; classic look, solid but at the same time light enough to hold with one hand. The soft case looks good and protective too, and the wheels will make it easy to get around. I got the stand as well (from the Crumar site the stand and gig bag are only available when ordered with a Mojo). The stand turns out to be identical (apart from the Crumar logo) to the one I've been using with my SK1 when I am also using pedals. This is good because I can leave one stand in the van ready for gigs and leave the other one set up at home.

Of course it sounds great! I've not had a chance to compare it directly with the SK1 as yet, but it's safe to say they both sound excellent. There are more "artifacts" in the Mojo sound than the SK1. For example playing the second A from the top with just the 16' drawbar, I hear another A three octaves lower. The notes either side don't exhibit this behaviour. I'm assuming that this is leakage or crosstalk? I don't have enough experience with proper consoles to know for sure.

I understand I can hook up a monitor and tweak a whole bunch of parameters. Is there no way to change the tonewheel set and other hidden params without the monitor, or the Mojo editor they sell separately? All you other Mojo users out there, are you using the editor? In HammondDave's review he mentions updating the software to 2.5(?) from 6.1. It's kind of unusual to go backwards with updates. Can someone enlighten me as to why this might be a good idea?

This is kind of a retirement present for myself (I turn 65 later this year). I've toyed with the idea over the years of getting a real console, but that would just sit at home taking up a lot of space in our smallish house. I'm really excited about this instrument, as I'll be able to take it out and gig with it! Come to think of it, I've never bought a keyboard that I couldn't move around easily, with the sole exception of an old upright I had many years ago.

Pricewise it's ending up costing a little more than an SK2, mainly due to various taxes we have in Australia. We have a 10% GST on anything coming into the country priced at over $1000, so I was expecting that. I wasn't expecting another $150 on top for import duties or excise or whatever they call it. This makes the Mojo the most expensive keyboard I've ever bought, not even counting for the fact that I bought it sight unseen. That's another point for this forum, without which I may never had heard of the Mojo.

John, two things... First, I think you will be shocked if you compare the SK1 and the Mojo...shocked at how much better the Mojo sounds.. When you play them side by side, you will hear so much more complexity in the tone of the Mojo, especially when you start combining tones. After making this comparison you will understand why people are calling the SK tones sterile or antiseptic or synthetic. I did this with one of our top local B3 players about 6 months ago, when he was being courted by Hammond and it was a no-brainer, he bought a Mojo. The SK just didn't compare. Second, regarding 6.1 vs 2.5, Hammonddave and I have been debating this ever since he got his new Mojo.. The bakers purposely removed the complex edit functionality from the Mojo because people were accidentally hitting the shift key during a live performance and accidentally changing deep edit Parameters, and in some cases rendering their Mojos unusable. I was one of those, and it was just lucky that I was able to download the manual on my iPhone otherwise I might not have made it through the gig. The functionality that Hammonddave is referring to is the ability to redefine the controls. He likes to set his treble bass knobs to control Leslie parameters, mic angle and distance, if I'm not mistaken. If you are someone that would want this kind of deep control, go ahead and move to 2.5 but there is a danger that comes with it, and for the most part you can get similar functionality from the editor box (which can be used for deep editing AND it can store 6 completely different organs).

I love my Mojo, it is the king of the hill at this point and I don't find that I need any deep editing when I play live with my Mojo.. I have sound that is awesome and it really works with my band, and the only thing I edit is the overdrive and reverb here and there.

Enjoy your Mojo!!

Craig MacDonald

I'm teetering on an email to GSi and seeing about getting in on a DMC/Gemini.

Oh no!

One of the main issues right now is a way to connect to a real/vintage 122 (6pin 22H/122/etc). Not sure I can mod my 1122 kit (connects XK3 to 122 easily).

Craig is correct. If you don't need that type of control, go for 6.1. Andrea told me that they simplified the UI due to what Craig said... And also to market the instrument so that dealers would not be fielding calls from users who accidentally scrambled their set ups.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Mojo is nice but why is there little or no discussion about the UHL X3 keyboards with the HX3 in it? I would rather have a UHL.

Me too.

Remember the MOJO organ players are going strong in the USA.

It certainly does help that some of them are connected to Crumar as a sort of endorsee.

I am from the Netherlands and therefor i am also focussed on Germany, because the Germans are precise and known for quality. (apart from dirty software in volkswagen.... hahaha)

Since Italy is also around the corner we were first to actually become familiar with the ventilator, Mojo, Numa and Hoax/Hx3.

Many organ players have played about everything and the majority is leaning towards the HX3 as the best classic Hammond emulation today.

Best keyclick by some margin

Balsiest and fattest sound especcially in the upper octave

The concensus over here (USA) is that the MOJO just edges out the HX3, because of better adjustable chorus (??), more models to pick from and a more rounded jazzy sound.....

UHL is where Crumar was a few years ago. They are new and not many instruments have made it out into the wild, especially in the US.

Also, you won't find much discussion of UHL in a Mojo thread. There are a couple of long HX3 threads you can view.

Personally, if I was going to have an organ built around HX3, I wouldn't like the non standard control locations in the UHL.

The Mag organ is laid out better and looks to use high quality components with metal drawbars and tilting tabs.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/misc/mag5sm.png

Moe

---

I had a mojo and sold it. I have a HX3 module and I like the sound better than the mojo. I am thinking about selling my HX3 and getting the UHL X3. The MAG keyboards look awesome but are more expensive and I wonder about future support. I love the HX3 and am more of a jazz standards player.

I'm a guy with both the Mojo AND the HX3.. I like the sound, look and feel of the Mojo, and while the HX3 is great, I think the mojo still comes out on top, and I am a classic rock player, not a jazz guy. However, as a keyboard player, I also like the direction that Crumar/GSI are going, expanding their business and the capabilities of their instruments beyond just hammond clones.

I really like my HX3, but right now it seems as if the HX3 is "work in process", and while the HX3 OS is being perfected, the guys at Crumar/GSI are rolling out new products like the DMC-122 controller and the Gemini sound module with 15 sound engines. This just serves to remind me that these guys have a broader vision. While other companies are picking through broken Hammonds to build controllers and buying the Hoax chips as a sound source, the guys at Crumar are doing it all themselves, and preparing to go up against Hammond Suzuki and Nord with their new stuff. Maybe that's why there isn't as much discussion about the UHL and MAG stuff. Crumar/GSI just have more going on?

I just want to add that I didn't intend this post to be condescending towards UHL or MAG.. I'm sure these two companies are putting out great products, and if they use the HX3 chip they're going to sound great. However, they are targeted at a small group of players that want clones with authentic controls/layouts (without compromises) who are willing to haul more weight around and pay more for it. That is a small subset of the clone market... Not sure exactly how much but I suspect it's less than 15% of the market place.. Just a guess.. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to demean what these companies are doing..

Craig MacDonald

I'm teetering on an email to GSi and seeing about getting in on a DMC/Gemini.

Oh no!

One of the main issues right now is a way to connect to a real/vintage 122 (6pin 22H/122/etc). Not sure I can mod my 1122 kit (connects XK3 to 122 easily).

I don't have an answer for you on the Leslie connection other than I'm sure there is a way.

But as far as the DMC-122/Gemini, I've had mine for a week now and it is absolutely terrific! I gigged with it last weekend going through a Spacestation and sub and the band went on and on at how great it sounded. And having all of the extra sounds is just too cool. Go for it, you'll love it.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Hey Craig, did you travel to Pennsylvania years ago to buy a Korg BX3 from a guy? If so that was me. I'm still chasing the holy grail of the Greatest B3 Clone!

John G

John, YUP, that was me!

We are all still seeking the holy grail!! However, I'm pretty close with my Mojo! I gigged with your BX3 for a couple of years.. I put it through a speakeasy preamp into a hotrodded 147 Leslie. It was great and very reliable for me! I sold it to a jazz guy, here in Toronto, for a Nord C1, and I think he's still using it. How are you doing?

Craig MacDonald

Doing well I am in Utah right now with the family on a ski vacation. But my 62 yr old legs ain't what they used to be. Still having fun. Just ordered a kurzweil forte as I miss playing the piano! Cheers.

There is a service location here in So Cal. Check the CrumaR website. Don't know if they can switch out the action.

I'm a guy with both the Mojo AND the HX3.. I like the sound, look and feel of the Mojo, and while the HX3 is great, I think the mojo still comes out on top, and I am a classic rock player, not a jazz guy.

My brother has the new B3 mk2. I have the Numa ,HX3, Nord stage, , Integra7 and the HX3 is far and ahead of everything incl. the new B3.

I have played the Hamichord several times, but i am not sure it had VB3 or VB3 2, but it wasn't on the HX3 level for sure.

My HX3 is inside an old XB-2 straight into a leslie 860 or ventilator.

Never ever had a single thought about a ''work in progress''

It is spot on....and i couldn't wish for more, apart from a better keybed.

Could you present me a clip or soundcloud example with what you consider the very best example of the MOJO sound ? Thanks !

Archived