Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting Acid Xpress 3.0 to install/run on Win95 or WinNT

I wanted to check out Acid Xpress 3.0, as every web site about it says it works with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000... When I try to install it on either a Win95 or WinNT box, it gives me an error saying that the program only works with Win98, ME, or 2000... (Even though every web site I've seen *says* Acid Xpress works with 95 and NT... Grrr... :mad: ) I got it to run on a Windows 2000 machine, but alas, it's not the main computer I use. I copied the installed files in the Program Files folder to a NT box and... Whaddya know? The demos appear to work correctly... Like they would run in NT. But Acid Xpress is the main program I want to work with (not the demos), and simply copying over the files from a successful Win2000 installation to an NT box wasn't enough. I plan to mess around with the registry and copy whatever Acid Xpress-related entries I can find in the Win2000 registry over to the WinNT box... Perhaps that will allow the program to run. In the meantime, has anyone had any success in installing Acid Xpress 3.0 on a 95 or WinNT box? Or... Does anyone know of a program which will trick an installation program into thinking you're using a different version of Windows? (I'm already aware of Microsoft's Apcompat.exe, which can trick Win2000 into looking like another OS to an installation program. However, Apcompat.exe doesn't appear to work with NT, at least not with the Acid Xpress install program.) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, bro! Sonic Foundry has cut off support for Win 95/NT with all of their current products, so I don't know of a way to make it work. Especially since the installer components will look for new versions of Direct X that only work with Win 98 SE and later. Wish I had better news for you. You can always try to get ahold of an older copy of ACID that works with 95/NT.

Well, I guess it's not that big of a deal if I can't get it to run on 95 or NT, as I do have access to a 2000 box, so I can run it on there... Still, it's kind of a pain... Does anyone know of any freeware programs other than Acid XPress that can convert WAV files to RealAudio files? (Preferably, a program that will run on Win95 :) )

Archived