Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help Cleaning Pots

No NOT POT

POTs - as in potentiometers.

I know its suppopsedly a routine maintenance sort of thing that even I might be able to do.

Ive got a wah pedal and an analog NAD stereo preamp that have got noisy pots making them virtually unusable.

The time has come to fix em.

Ive googled the topic but could not find anything with a diagram to walk me through this.

Can anyone help?

Do I need to un-solder the connections & remove the pots from the boards or frames they are attached to?

Open them up? -How?

Etc...

Thanks in advance.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally you just spray in some contact cleaner from the front and then move the pot back and forth for a bit.

I'm afraid I've got bad news about the NAD though. I've got one and I've tried spraying that thing every which way and it's still a crackling mess. Let me know if you can find a replacement pot for that thing cause I need one.

I'd recommend the medium sized (5" - 6"), wire-mesh type, kitchen strainer.

Not only does this help remove the stems and seeds, it grinds the leaves to just the right consistency for rolling.

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Originally posted by AlanThomas:

Not only does this help remove the stems and seeds, it grinds the leaves to just the right consistency for rolling.

Is that the Mormon technique? ;)
Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

Originally posted by AlanThomas:

Is that the Mormon technique? ;)
Beats the hell out me. I'm not a mormon... :D
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

If the potentiometer is not sealed, then simply spray a very small amount of Craig D-5 into the opening under the contacts, and extercise it full rotation several times.

If it is sealed, carefully pry back the prongs holding the cover on, and once you can pull it back enough to spray inside, agian a small squirt of D-5, and heavy exercise should do the trick.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

It's a god time to point out that everyone should, on a relatively frequent basis, rotate all of their pots through their full range of motion several times. Most pots are self cleaning, provided that the user takes the aforementioned advice.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by matt C:

It's a god time to point out that everyone should, on a relatively frequent basis, rotate all of their pots through their full range of motion several times. Most pots are self cleaning, provided that the user takes the aforementioned advice.

yeah I`ve asked Myles about this-most of my gear is in New York and I only get to see it once a year, sometimes twice. I`ve asked my folks to

twirl knobs every so often but I`m sure they forget about it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived