Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX-360 questions for Mr. Martin

Jazz+

Hi Mike,

3 questions here:

1. Is the PX-360 Factory EP (rhodes type) the same EP patch as the one being tested in this video demo of the PX-5S factory EP:

[video:youtube]

2. The only difference in the speaker sound systems between PX-360 and PX-350, according to digital piano expert "PianoManChuck", is that the new woofers in then PX-360 are only 4.1 inch woofers and the PX-350 woofers are 5.1 inches. He says therefore the PX-350 sounds a little "better" with its slightly larger woofers. Can you shed any more light on this idea? See this explained at at 14:00 minutes into this video:

3. Lastly, what caused a 2 pound increase in weight on the PX-360 compared with the PX-350's weight?

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think PMC is wrong about the speakers. From Casio's site, the way I read it, it looks the PX350 woofers are 5.1" x 2.4" (i.e. oval, based on two dimensions) whereas the PX360 is 4.7" (round, based on single dimension), which would mean the PX360 would appear to have the larger (surface area) speaker, by a substantial margin. That doesn't mean it necessarily must sound better, but it would surprise me if it didn't at least put out more bottom. Unless the specs are misleading me somehow.

Mike mentioned elsewhere how the woofers are on the back, whereas I think they were facing up on the 350, and maybe that is affecting PMC's impression, too. Mike explained that, for home use, the piano would likely be set up with its back near a wall, and the rear-facing speakers will sound best that way, and that's not how PMC set his up. (If you're at a quiet enough gig/rehearsal that you can use internal speakers outside the home and then probably away from a wall, the rear facing speakers can still be seen as a benefit, as they better project the sound into the room.)

edit: as for the weight, the same spec sheets show less than a pound difference. It looks like the chassis is a bit bigger to accomodate those speakers and the touchscreen (which are things that themselves may add a bit of weight).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1. Yes that Rhodes sound is in the PX-360

2. AnotherScott is correct, the speakers are LARGER. They have improved overall bass response too. The configuration of the speakers (placement and direction) is similar to the PX-350. The chassis itself was redesigned to accommodate and provide better efficiency for the speakers.

3. About 1 pound difference. Speakers and touch screen.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The configuration of the speakers (placement and direction) is similar to the PX-350.

Ah. Maybe I was thinking of some older Casio piano where the speakers faced up.

I havent heard them side by side, but my impression is that the PX-560 speakers are better than the PX-350. I don't hear compression kicking in at higher volumes as I remember hearing on the 350.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I havent heard them side by side, but my impression is that the PX-560 speakers are better than the PX-350. I don't hear compression kicking in at higher volumes as I remember hearing on the 350.

That is correct as they're much more efficient. Speakers in the PX-360 are the same as the PX-560.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thanks, just ordered a 360. I threw my back out Saturday night with the FP-4. Been gigging 8 years with the 37 pound FP-4 Looking forward to 26.2 pounds.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I have played the 350 a bunch but never the 360. My back condition mandates the 26 pound maximum. Out with the old in with the new.

My favorite PX-360 demo:

• 1 month later...

Hi Mr. Martin

Is there a way to use headphones and keep the PX-360 speakers on at the same time. It would be great for my live gigs. Perhaps could be an added feature to a software update.

It's the best digital piano I have ever had. 5 stars. Now I am a big Casio fan. I can't stop playing it, love everything about it.

Hi Mr. Martin

Is there a way to use headphones and keep the PX-360 speakers on at the same time. It would be great for my live gigs. Perhaps could be an added feature to a software update.

It's the best digital piano I have ever had. 5 stars. Now I am a big Casio fan. I can't stop playing it, love everything about it.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it! I don't think the headphone jack can be used with the speakers on. That is a hardware issue, not a software issue.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Is there a way to use headphones and keep the PX-360 speakers on at the same time. It would be great for my live gigs.

Why do you need headphones for live gigs?

In the "MUSIC PRESET" Jazz play-alongs (plays drums/bass/chord instrument changes from various standards), is there a way to mute or change the chord instruments that are mixed in with these MUSIC PRESET play-alongs so that it's only the Bass and Drums are sounding? Or a way to changes the chord comping instrument to something other instrument?

MUSIC PRESET Jazz005 "Piano Trio" (Jazz Combo 1, Autumns Leaves changes) features only bass and drums, which is quite useful for me. The presets with chords being comped (rather stiffly) are not so smooth. I suspect that the only solution would be to edit the changes on this particular PRESET for other songs too.

Archived