Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sue Tedeschi breaks the cap on another year

d  halfnote

Susan T starts her 45th trip around the sun today & Derek Trucks ain't the only one happy abt that.

From a musical family & schooled as both choir vocalist, reed player & guitarist since preteen years, her vocal style hits somewhere between Bonnie Raitt & the sadly neglected Janis Joplin, with a gospel tinge that gives her work a very fervent edge.

The company she's usually in keeps her from seeming to shine as brightly as it really does.

Want to hear what I mean ?

Check it here...

[1] Just Won't Burn / "who's that woman in the red dress ?"

[video:youtube]

solo = 2:19~3:50

[2] That Did It / extended blues form w/ gtr solo that defines the term "from a whisper to a scream"

[video:youtube]

solo = 2:29~6:00

2nd extended chorus is some "Look out, Buddy, I'm coming to get ya !" territory / with some additional fiery licks thrown at us during the last vocal verse

...& then she says "Thank you so much !" in the tiniest little-girl voice. :laugh:

d=halfnote

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[side bar / most ppl think of her, when they do, aomewhat the way they think of Hendrix, as an over-the-top flamboyant performer when in reality she, like he, was capable of very nuanced, controlled, even delicate work....but I don't get the impression she's remembered much except by older fans & a very few young female singers such as Pink & Joss Stone]
d=halfnote

I guess if current popular music is any indication, then, yes, I suppose we can say Janis had no lasting impact on pop music history. But for those of us who were there, she's still the most important female singer of her generation, on any number of levels. No, there is no Janis Joplin of the current era.
Scott Fraser

I was there in the 60's listening to Janis, and all that bunch. Janis was something for sure. I even bought her recordings, I especially liked the Big Brother and the Holding Company times. My interest in her faded after that era. The magic for me seemed to pass with her departure from that band. Even though they were not the greatest musicians backing her up, there was another "something" about that interaction that passed when she departed. She still had her talent, but that band (or that era) gave her something else on top of her talent, a magical component.

However I had the same feeling about many of the bands of that era, once they fell into the rich musician category, and lost their hunger, the magic dissipated.

Susan T on the other hand is a fully pro working musician highly skilled in singing and playing, and a force all to herself. Her music is powerful, and with the addition of Derek Trucks that band is very highly rated in my mind.

+1 on Big Brother and the Holding Company and I think the same of Grace Slick and The Jefferson Airplane...

+1 Susan and Derek are both great. I really like Derek's slide playing and together they have a great band... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

+1 on Big Brother and the Holding Company and I think the same of Grace Slick and The Jefferson Airplane...

I was a big admirer of most of the Bay Area/Marin bands back then, most all of them were musically magical. Something about Northern Ca that still inspires the young musicians from there to this day. My wife's niece Grace comes from up there, and we visit from time to time at her parents house. The hippy nation still lives in Northern Ca, although at a much smaller and more local way.......

And I still love SteppenWolf! I've heard some negatives about their live performances, but Wowie! What a Magic Carpet Ride and the Born To Be Wild sound in their classic recordings! :cool::cool:

I saw them live in their heyday at the Spectrum in Philly. I also liked "The Pusher" enough to actually learn the licks and sing to the chords. They were great, they actually laid all the speaker cabs on the ground facing up, and they played in between them. Smokin.........

"The Pusher"

You know I've smoked a lot of grass

O' Lord, I've popped a lot of pills

But I never touched nothin'

That my spirit could kill

You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round

With tombstones in their eyes

But the pusher don't care

Ah, if you live or if you die

God damn, The Pusher

God damn, I say The Pusher

I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man

You know the dealer, the dealer is a man

With the love grass in his hand

Oh but the pusher is a monster

Good God, he's not a natural man

The dealer for a nickel

Lord, will sell you lots of sweet dreams

Ah, but the pusher ruin your body

Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream

God damn, The Pusher

God damn, God damn the Pusher

I said God damn, God, God damn The Pusher man

Well, now if I were the president of this land

You know, I'd declare total war on The Pusher man

I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run

Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

God damn The Pusher

Gad damn The Pusher

I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man

Regarding the Pusher lyrics above; We had this dance club back then called Le Garage Discotek. So one night when I was doing my first or second tripping, I went there, and I was seeing new stuff, and I actually saw someone walk by who looked dead inside his eyes. It freaked me out big time because it was one of my first times in that arena. Then some time later, I listened to The Pusher and this line stood out for me.

"You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round With tombstones in their eyes"

It made the things I saw more of a commonly perceived thing of the times among us trippers in my head.

Steppenwolf was one of the great groups of our time. I wish I could do them justice and cover some of their songs, but I just can't get the same vibe going with my vocals. But, I love listening to them. There was a 60's group playing at the County Fair last year that sounded just like them when they covered their material and I really enjoyed their show! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I bought some of their albums Larryz, I can't say anything better about any group, if they got my money (for more than one album) That was the best thing I could say about it. I paid to hear them. That is laud enough in my mind.

I liked their stuff big time back in the day, and would enjoy it again if I ever run across some MP3 freebees (Since I already paid for the stuff a few times)

Archived