Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you use for quick and dirty recordings?

I pulled my old VS 880 out of mothballs today. The hard drive's busted and I have to use the zip drive. Ancient technology next to my Motu/G4/DP3 rig for sure. But doggone it!! I started goofing around and threw together a song warts and all in just 1/2 hour. Seems when I'm using the real gear I spend more time on technical stuff instead of catching a vibe and getting things done. Cheap convertors, cheap effects, only 8 tracks and I'm having a good time! Maybe it's good to get back to our roots every now and then.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two cassette decks! For demos, I play one while performing and recording on the other one... If I get into too many overdubs, the pitch starts slowly moving upwards. (One cassette deck runs a little bit faster than the other...) I'm still kinda kicking myself that I sold my cassette 4 tracks years ago. Now and then I consider picking up a new, cheap one just for writing and for getting rough ideas down. I love my DAW but it just doesn't cut it if you're trying to be creative and not have user interface issues get in the way. (Too much mouse clicking, too much visual information... Blah! :D ) [ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: popmusic ]

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]I pulled my old VS 880 out of mothballs today. The hard drive's busted and I have to use the zip drive. Ancient technology next to my Motu/G4/DP3 rig for sure. But doggone it!! I started goofing around and threw together a song warts and all in just 1/2 hour. Seems when I'm using the real gear I spend more time on technical stuff instead of catching a vibe and getting things done. Cheap convertors, cheap effects, only 8 tracks and I'm having a good time! Maybe it's good to get back to our roots every now and then.[/b][/quote] Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! I had to chuckle about the last line...."getting back to your roots". Cause I'm still in my roots! And if a Roland VS series is your roots....wow...makes me feel old! : )
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by strat0124: [b] Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! I had to chuckle about the last line...."getting back to your roots". Cause I'm still in my roots! And if a Roland VS series is your roots....wow...makes me feel old! : )[/b][/quote] Love that old VS. But mine needs a new set of rings and burns oil. Brakes are good and the tires are fair! :D

I still use My Panasonic microcassette. Just put down rough chord progressions and vocals and such. Extremely lo-fi but very portable. Seems like they had a cassette 4-track with a built in mic here while back. Now I can't find it. That seemed like a logical extension of the microcassette allowing overdubs and such with headphones.

[quote]Originally posted by DC: [b]I still use My Panasonic microcassette. Just put down rough chord progressions and vocals and such. Extremely lo-fi but very portable. [/b][/quote] Oh yeah, I forgot... I use a microcassette recorder too. Good for recording ideas while singing along with rough mixes in the car... :)

A Roland VS, ancient technology? ROFLMAO!!!!!! That's great!!!! :D I do use a microcassette sometimes in the car for "jotting down" ideas. The answering machine works too, I started doing that at the suggestion of somebody on this forum (might've been d gauss). But, one reason I DIDN'T want to go the whole DAW route is because I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. The whole idea behind my home studio was to foster creativity, not spend hours fiddling with technical crap. So I went with the Yamaha AW4416. It has a few weeks' learning curve, but now that I'm very familiar with the machine it's actually really easy to get quick'n'dirty ideas down with it. Being an all-in-one box like the VS, I don't have to power up a bunch of crap, sync it, etc. like with a DAW. I just turn on the AW, throw a mic on it and go. Some people complain that the screen is too small on all-in-one boxes, and want a VGA port to plug in a real monitor. Not me. I'd rather have as few distractions as possible. On a separate but related note: I also didn't build a separate control room/tracking room in my studio. Again, the idea was to foster creativity. Now that I'm working with a band which was my goal all along, the fact that we're all in the same room together and can record any time we hit on something that sounds good, is a huge bonus. It's great to be able to record your own stuff at any time inspiration strikes, but can be tough to strike a balance between the musical and technical issues. I'm sure that if I had a perfectly tuned, separate control room and a hotdog DAW, I could get more "pristine" sound, but I don't think the creative process would be as enjoyable or the performances as good... so guess which one wins? --Lee

I use a cassette boom-box normally for quick stuff, but lately I've been using my laptop, at the kitchen table,(I've got a cat-5 run for the internet too) I just plug the guit. straight into the 1/8 line in jack (w/adapter), no amp, nothing. This is too easy. -Now, why is it that when it doesn't matter, as far as sound quality goes, do you get such good takes? Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

Tascam 22-4 1/4" reel to reel 4 track. I love it for quick and noisy recording...I've got a few recordings I'm really proud of that I did on it recently. A bit of Noise Reduction and overall mastering in Soundforge and these recordings sound pretty darn good. If you're interested or just bored check one out: [b]"Wonder Why"[/b] http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc [ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

[quote][b]I pulled my old VS 880 out of mothballs today. The hard drive's busted and I have to use the zip drive. Ancient technology next to my Motu/G4/DP3 rig for sure. But doggone it!! I started goofing around and threw together a song warts and all in just 1/2 hour. Seems when I'm using the real gear I spend more time on technical stuff instead of catching a vibe and getting things done. Cheap convertors, cheap effects, only 8 tracks and I'm having a good time![/b][/quote] YEAH, BABY! I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT! There is absolutely NO WAY one can have any idea what a killer box that is if they haven't used one for a few weeks to a month or so. Once you master it, you can kick with it, fast and bangin' as all hell. I bought a Roland case for mine...and the Korg E-Tribe fits into it as well! I take both into the film studio, and we mix scenes right to the Avid rig. The film editor loves having that flexibility, because we can custom re-mix the soundtrack on the fly, with his creative input. A fully self-contained music production studio in a suitcase. A singer came over yesterday to cut the vocal track for the theme song for the film. I got three complete takes on three seperate virtual tracks, [i]in one hour[/i]. Last night, I copy-pasted bits of her performance around, using the LED, to enhance the arrangement. Then I put her voice through the "Big Chorus" effect and bounced it to a seperate track, and mixed that under the original, and it sounds like a major-label R&B vocal. That all took me about two hours. I don't think the effects are cheap at all - the stereo reverbs and delay/chorus patches are plush in post-fader stage. The convertors ARE cheap, but I slam the shit out of them with a tube mic pre, and then kick it again internally with the compression multis in the insert stage when tracking, and my tracks sizzle like a muthaf*cka. Once you capture that vibe, and you hit that 8-track playback wall, you can just suck all those tracks into the DAW of your choice (I use ProTools), and make a production out of it. But you're right about the DAW's: working alone, all the tech shit kills the vibe...you really do need a seperate engineer to run the DAW while your kicking it on the creative side. At this point, I've got almost the entire soundtrack for a 90-minute film on just one partition of the VS harddrive, and there's still 221 minutes of track time left on THAT partition, and there's still THREE MORE partitions on the drive!!! I'm gonna end up not even using ProTools on the soundtrack at all, except perhaps for the theme song, and that's only because I may want to release that as a single to promote the film. Essentially, we're doing the entire soundtrack on just one partition of the VS. Merry Christmas, indeed!!! E :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Archived