Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Thevies Got Me

It happened 11 days ago. Cleaned me out. Inside job. Got away clean. May be able to get some insurance relief. Still trying to get over the shock. Going through reciepts now

Studio Equipment Loss

Machintosh G3/266

IBM 17 Computer Monitor

Yamaha 02R-Meter Bridge-(3)ADAT cards

Alesis ADAT

Alesis ADAT-XT

MOTU 2408MKII

MOTU MIDI Timepiece

MOTU Digital Timepiece

TASCAM DA-30 MKII

TC-Finalizer

Alesis Masterlink

Roland Alpha Juno Keyboard w Case

Emu - Orbit V2

Emu - Planet Phatt

Audio Technia 4033 Mic

Shure SM58 Mic (2)

Mic Stands (4)

(2) Yamaha 15 P.A. Speakers

Glyph Project X Hard Drive

Yamaha CD-RW Drive

Iomega Jaz Drive

Stanton Turntable w Cartridge

Halogen CD Rack/Lamp

Misc. CDs

25 TV

NS-10M (2)

Yamaha SPX-90

Roland D-110

Roland JV-880

Alesis DM5

Alesis RA-100

Rane HC6 Headphone Amp

Audio Technia Headphones (5)

Equitec 1.5RQ

Studio Console Furniture

Cords and Cables

The funny thing is, after I calm down and get over the fact that it's MY STUFF THEY JUST BROKE IN AND TOOK (assholes :mad: ), and that I accumulated it all over 8 to 16 years.

The funny thing is, that the DUMBASS PUNKASS THEVING MUTHFU*KERS probably actually did me a favor.

I've been struggling with how to update and upgrade my entire setup for almost 2 years now. My two main dilemmas were how to integrate and mount (in new furniture) a lot of the old stuff, and how to go about selling things I decided not to keep, we all know how much of a pain that can be.

Anyway, the silver lining;

Because of some misguided wanna be music whatever's (I suspect they're wanna be rappers) larcenous heart and ambitions,

I can start over completely from scratch. I can damn near replace everything I had with a G5, (2) 20" Cinema Display's, 828, Speakers & Amp, Software, headphones, and a couple of other things. And I'll be able to do video with Final Cut Pro. All in half the space.

I'll get over the loss, and move forward. Hopefully the new capabilities I'll have will bring me more work and opportunities, and take me to new and better places I might not have gone before sooner than would have happened had this disaster not occurred.

Wish me luck,

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so sorry for your losses, and grateful no one was hurt. I lost a good friend in NYC several years ago to an armed studio robbery.

This has always been one of my biggest fears, and priority one here is security. Rule #1 is I never, ever meet a client for the first time at the studio. We have a detailed website where they can get a feel for the studio and see lists and images fo the gear and rooms. I'll meet them for coffee ro lunch, but never ever at the studio. I ask for references also. I've had more than my share of suspicios inquiries over the years.

We've multiple alarms here, both audible and silent, connected via wireless, so cutting the power won't disable them, in fact it triggers them. I keep the number of people who have access limited to the absolute minimum, and change the codes weekly. these are also coneected to smoke and heat detectors for fire safety.

We also have a big dog who is trained to protect. 120lbs of rottweiler is quite intimidating to a wouldbe thief. He is prominently displayed on our website.

It's good you can see the silver lining, but still a drag that this has to be the way to upgrading for you. Make sure to folllow-up on any police reports and keep the paperwork clean for your insurance company. Doesn't take much in the way of bad paperwork to negate a claim.

best of luck with your upgrades, and make sure to include new safety procedures to prevent a repeat of this unfortunate incident.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Hey Groove!

Wow! That's tough. Did you say that it was an inside job? Does that mean that you know who did it? Does that mean that the police are after them?

How does this affect your current projects? How quickly do you think you can get back up and running? Soft synths are a good way to go, these days. They're inexpensive, and they take up no space.

Good luck! You've already had enough BAD luck.

:(

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I thank you all for your comforting words, and thanks to everyone else on this forum for making this such a great place.

where02190,

Mine was a private space, and my main security was secrecy. Been there 4 years. Let my guard down and trusted the wrong person. Ill take your advice to heed in the future.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Did you say that it was an inside job? Does that mean that you know who did it? Does that mean that the police are after them?

Yes, but not inside from people I work with.

Without going into a long story, they (actually she, 21yrs.old) were supposedly trustworthy, and supposed to be doing some cleaning work.

How does this affect your current projects?

Thats just the thing, what work I was doing, I was doing outside mostly in major studios. I couldnt really compete with my setup as it was.

How quickly do you think you can get back up and running?

It shouldnt really take that long, G5 and a couple other things Ill be back in business. Getting the new room ready will take the most time.

Soft synths are a good way to go, these days. They're inexpensive, and they take up no space.

Yeah Ill be using Softsynths, but they only got one of my keyboards. I still have an 88 Rhodes, (they were coming back for it, but Id barricaded the door), Clavinets (C &D6), Farfisa Pro (Sly Stone @ Woodstock), Trusty ol D70, and a Fantom. So Im pretty good to start. Plus I can still play gigs.

Good luck! You've already had enough BAD luck.

Thanks, sometimes things have to get bad, before they can get better.

Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Geez Groove, that str8 up blows.

I'm sorry this happened. I know that you're looking on the bright side and might be able to make this positive, but surely there'll be a time or two, where you'll be in a spot of "well, if i only had X i could do such and such to the mix on this brass track." etc.

Btw,

Any luck in finding the perpetrators? I assume you've filed all the police reports and such. You've probably got some hunches ("it's an inside job" and all). Some of this equipment isn't overly common, and i'm sure a lot of it is identifiable on sight.

I've never dealt with an insurance claim like this before, but what if all the equipment is recovered (in various forms of abuse/usability)? Does this affect Plan A (start over with all new stuff)?

Either way, i hope things work out for you, and any other customers that now have their recording sessions nipped in mid-process will be understanding and patient while you try to put the pieces back together.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

It's times like this that, you just want to rip somebody's balls off. The learning curves, the homework before buying the suff, the wiring...hopefully the thieves will electrocute themselves setting it up.

Keep an eye on E-Bay.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Them assholes probably wont even know what from what or how to put it together.

And I hope the chick catches some really really really ....messed up yeast infection

(didnt want to say anything overly nasty)

I have (2) quarter sized cameras one place outside my door (visually able to see 9 ft away from the door) and the other behind a picture that sets behind my montiors. So with my back to them the camera picks them up, and my lovely wife monitors from another room, while doing whatever : watching tv, cooking. All recording to tape.

Once everythings all good I'll erase it

but damn Groove-----

I wish them no success at whatever they do, damn bastards

Sorry to hear that man. First thing I'd do is hunt them down either myself or hire someone to find them. They need a royal ass kicking, then let the law take care of them. Bastards!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - all glitch. no aftertaste.

Geeeezzz,

I am so sorry to hear this. I work in a pretty tough neck of the woods and I'm with where02....

You have to beef up security, I've found that in most instances it someone who's affialiated with one of your clients. Its a pain in the butt, but i have a cadre of cameras, motion and optical alarms inside the studio. I also have a bull mastiff, lol, with me when I do sessions. But what I think has really saved me, is photocoping everyones ID when they first enter the studio for the first time, and immediately faxing it over to my security company in front of them. I also call in when repeat clients enter and leave the studio. I feel a lot safer knowing that I have a copy of everyone, and I mean everyones ID, that has ever entered my studio. No ID, no session plain and simple!!!!!

Just thinking about it is a nightmare, lets pray for a speedy reimbursement from the insurance company.

Dallas

http://TrilogySound.com

Reading, PA

Yeah, that can be the problem with the, (ahem) "law"...

YOU: Someone stole my stuff, officer!

COP: Well, file this report in quadruplicate.

YOU: I think I know who did it.

COP: We can't do anything about it unless we see them with it. You're out of luck.

Like, they're just gonna get lucky enough to spot someone running down the street with an armful of gear. Give me a break.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

It happened 11 days ago. Cleaned me out. Inside job. Got away clean. May be able to get some insurance relief. Still trying to get over the shock. Going through reciepts now

Studio Equipment Loss

Machintosh G3/266

IBM 17 Computer Monitor

Yamaha 02R-Meter Bridge-(3)ADAT cards

Alesis ADAT

Alesis ADAT-XT

MOTU 2408MKII

MOTU MIDI Timepiece

MOTU Digital Timepiece

TASCAM DA-30 MKII

TC-Finalizer

Alesis Masterlink

Roland Alpha Juno Keyboard w Case

Emu - Orbit V2

Emu - Planet Phatt

Audio Technia 4033 Mic

Shure SM58 Mic (2)

Mic Stands (4)

(2) Yamaha 15 P.A. Speakers

Glyph Project X Hard Drive

Yamaha CD-RW Drive

Iomega Jaz Drive

Stanton Turntable w Cartridge

Halogen CD Rack/Lamp

Misc. CDs

25 TV

NS-10M (2)

Yamaha SPX-90

Roland D-110

Roland JV-880

Alesis DM5

Alesis RA-100

Rane HC6 Headphone Amp

Audio Technia Headphones (5)

Equitec 1.5RQ

Studio Console Furniture

Cords and Cables

Oh my... It hurts when you just look on this list! :(

I'm sorry man. ... But I wish you luck!

(And I wish the thieves will be caught :mad: )

I am back.

Sorry to hear that.

That's why I wouldn't operate without insurance.

PEACE OF MIND for sure.

I also have an alarm but that wouldn't help with an inside job.

The problem with a situation like that is I'd be livid, wanting to do bodily harm!

After calming down, I'd rationalize the situation as you have, getting rid of the old stuff and in with the new :idea:

I had this same thing happen to me twice.

The first time (25 years ago) a 4 track TEAC was stolen from me. (worth $1700 back then)

The second time my house was broken into but nothing was taken. I think the guy was mad because I wouldn't mix his tape the way he wanted.

For me now, the equipment is still incredibly expensive, but worse than that would be to lose my "works in progress" (3 years of work to be exact)

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

When I was in collage, poor and playing gigs on week ends, a guy offered me a double-neck Rickenbacker 4001 for 300 bucks. (Drool)

Only one question from me.... is it hot.

It was. I didn't buy it because the bad karma of playing on stolen stuff will suck the life out of you.

Thats what your theif will be up against.

sorry you got robbed.

I buy nothing knowingly hot and I'm suspect if the prices seems TOO RIGHT.

I wanna go to heaven and somebody tole' me once that you gotta PAY BACK everting you steal before you get into heaven.

so how do you sposed' to pay back de stoff iffen you ain't got any pockets to hold it in?

how do you give back if you no hoff the stoff?what else is there to give back?

tink about that BOYO's ~

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

What a drag. :( Hope you recover quickly and don't dwell too long on what happened. I know you've got to think about it some but if possible try writing a new song or something to redirect all that negative energy towards something constructive. I know the last time I got my horn stolen I had the blues for some time but eventually I got over it to the point where I wasn't thinking about it all the time. And it did help to occupy my mind with creative thoughts. Hang in there.

I'm sorry to hear that! That's some clean up job. They had to have planned it with the number of items stolen. Did they leave anything??

Why don't you post the serial numbers here? That way when we're all surfing ebay....

Sorry to hear it GPS. Now you can do your update and come back bigger and badder than ever. Do you have your serial numbers? If so, make them pulblic in case they show up somewhere....

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived