Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lost in Translation

What a great film! Can anyone decipher what he whispers to her at the end?

Here\'s a Wav file which seems only to work with the Windows Explorer preview. I've denoised it, EQ'd, etc. and I can make out "don't forget, I'm telling the truth, OK?" The first bit eludes me.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No friggin' clue what he says, but I was blown away by the film. I thought Bill Murray did a fantastic job in that movie. And Sophia Copolla's work was gorgeous. It's obvious how many of these "romantic comedies" are told from such the male wanker's point of view. Then you have this film that shows you can have love without infidelity, and you can have someone deeply touch your soul without f**king them in a taxi cab. Imagine how the film would've been different had Pedro Almodóvar directed.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

The last part is "go back now and tell him that you love him, k?"

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Excellent film. Touching story. Beautifully shot.

That said, I was a little annoyed that the two main characters can't seem to find anything to do in Tokyo except drink and complain. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone like that, especially when one of them is getting paid $2 million to be there. But it was a good film, nonetheless. I just didn't buy into the "hardship" that they believed that they were facing. Way too self-absorbed.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Great to see a thread about this very fine movie.

In Italy all films are dubbed, so to hear the original dialogue I'll have to wait for the DVD to come out.

But here the point of the movie is precisely that anybody can make his/her own mind about what's being said, don't you think? Maybe he didn't "say" anything (I mean, as a piece of dialogue).

The only movie I liked as much as this one in the last couple of years was Ghost World - have you seen it?

Best

Beppe

Beppe Colli

Originally posted by Hendmik:

The last part is "go back now and tell him that you love him, k?"

I've managed to make out, "don't forget, tell the truth, OK?"

I'm 99% certain on that. The first bit is anyone's guess.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Excellent film. Touching story. Beautifully shot.

That said, I was a little annoyed that the two main characters can't seem to find anything to do in Tokyo except drink and complain. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone like that, especially when one of them is getting paid $2 million to be there. But it was a good film, nonetheless. I just didn't buy into the "hardship" that they believed that they were facing. Way too self-absorbed.

I don't think the film wanted you to feel sorry for anyone. These characters seemed close to real people, albeit in a slightly surreal (to their eyes) place. They certainly weren't representative people ... not average joes ... but real characters nonetheless. Real locations, real complications, no clean-cut endings, no easy to handle emotions. I thought it was a fantastic film!

I loved this film. I'm really for the sort of films that have a unique atmosphere running throughout. Its hard to explain but is captured in my favourite films like Apocalypse Now, Bladerunner, Vanilla Sky (go on and flame me but the soundtrack makes this film. They are the sort of films that when watched in the cinema you are so 'into' the film, that at the end you've got to shake yourself back into reality.

For me the soundtrack is such a big part of the film, favourites include:

Vanilla Sky

Bladerunner

Apocolypse Now

Requiem for A Dream

O Brother Where Art Thou

Reservoir Dogs (don't love the film though but little green bags use was a magic moment)

Good the Bad and The Ugly

Trainspotting

oh and what the hey.... i'll chuck in Topgun :D

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by Gord -B:

For me the soundtrack is such a big part of the film,

I left the theatre deeply moved. I lived in Japan for 2 years, 98-00, and hadn't thought about it for a while. It just sucked me in- the attn to details made it so real.

Another great soundtrack is "Rushmore."

Originally posted by Gord -B:

For me the soundtrack is such a big part of the film, favourites include:

Vanilla Sky

Bladerunner

Apocolypse Now

Requiem for A Dream

O Brother Where Art Thou

Reservoir Dogs (don't love the film though but little green bags use was a magic moment)

Good the Bad and The Ugly

Trainspotting

oh and what the hey.... i'll chuck in Topgun :D

Gord, you should check out Romeo Is Bleeding with Gary Oldman. I'm guessing that it's your kind of movie. It's an atypical story with an amazing score by Mark Isham.

Risky Business was another film that was catapulted into the stratosphere by a great score.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Sounds good dan cheers. With my ridiculous sleeping patterns at the moment i'm watching a lot of films when I can't sleep. I watched the film Bringing Out the Dead and was in a weird state of mind only equalled by illegal drug use. Check out the trailer for an insight into the insanity (Had been up for over 48 hours when I watched it :confused: ) P.S I'm not an insomniac just in a permenent state of jet-lag from student life.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

I lived in Tokyo for 5 years and was very much looking forward to seeing the film after hearing rave reviews right after its release.

For me (and my wife) it was a bit too subtle/low key. It didnt really grab us.

Given the high expectations we were a bit disappointed.

Maybe i need to try it again.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Archived