Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vitamins (?)

ok, this is weird.

many of you may know i have been sicker han hell for almost two weeks. its been the worst of my life in terms of sick. serious breathing issues, sinus infection, wheezing, nasty nasty stuff. been to the doctor several times.

sunday i finally felt pretty good.not great, but good.

monday this came crashing down horribly. i didnt sleep monday, couldnt get to bed. its like it started all over. stayed up all night blowing my nose and trying to breathe. finally got to sleep at TWO PM TUESDAY AFTERNOON. slept for a while, got up and felt pisspoor the rest of the day.

so night rolls around again, and i start to wheeze, sneeze, blow my nose, its coming on again. so what do i do?

i decide that in addition to all the drugs i am on, i am going to take VITAMINS. i dont normally take vitamins.

i took TOO MANY, but i dont care.

i took 1000mg vitamin C, and 1000mg vitamin E

within 20 minutes i was no longer sneezing, wheezing, or blowing my nose. i fell alseep and lasted until 5:16 this morning. thats 6 hours!!!! i like sleeping six hours.

i feel GREAT right now (relatively, i still aint worth shit)

i am gonna stay up a little while, then try to get some more sleep this morning. i still cant go to work.

whats this with vitamins then? should i just take them everyday????

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coaster,

You need to be careful when self medicating with vitamins. These things alter specific functions inside of your body and overdoses on certain vitamins can have adverse or fatal effects. Vitamin C is a pretty fair bet, as your body will toss off what it doesn't need. I'm not sure about possible adverse effects of the too much vitamin E. I know that it "is" good to take vitamin E in conjunction with C because vitamin C thins the blood, while vitamin E will strengthen the elasticity in your veins.

One thing to consider about high doses of Vitamin C is that, although you feel relief from immediate symptoms, vitamin C will deplete other important vitamins such as Calcium.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but rather caution you as to seeking the advice of your physician or his nurse. If done over the phone, and you are a current patient, many times the information is free of charge.

I've been on 2000mg of vitamin C for several years at the referral of a physician to help with poor blood circulation. However, he recommended 500mg of Calcium and also 500mg of vitamin E - w/garlic to accompany the vit. C. Garlic has an excellent healing agent.

Vitamin Profiles

Remember: Just because something says that the signs of overdose are 'unknown' does not mean that it is fair game to overdose it!

Vitamin A - More Info

Benefit: Maintains eyesight, skin, hair, mucus membranes.

Sign of deficiency: Bad skin, night blindness.

Sign of overdose: Yellow skin, blurred vision, vomiting, hair loss, headache.

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)

Benefit: Maintenance of nerves and muscles. Helps metabolism.

Sign of deficiency: Beriberi.

Sign of overdose: Unknown.

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)

Benefit: Antioxidant. Maintains vision, skin, hair, and nails. Helps metabolism.

Sign of deficiency: Skin problems.

Vitamin B3 (Niacin)

Benefit: Aids metabolism and maintains skin.

Sign of deficiency: Sensitivity to light, fatigue, skin problems.

Sign of overdose: Flushed face, neck, and hands.

Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) - More Info

Benefit: Maintains skin and nerves. Needed for energy production and utilization.

Sign of deficiency: Fatigue, nausea.

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) - More Info

Benefit: Protein synthesis and fat metabolism. Regulates fluid balance. Aids red blood cell production.

Sign of deficiency: Nerve and muscular failure.

Sign of overdose: Numb feet, bad hand coordination, impaired brain function.

Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)

Benefit: Formation of red blood cells. Metabolism of protein and fat. Helps growth in children.

Sign of deficiency: Weight loss, confusion, pale skin, depression.

Biotin

Benefit: Enables metabolism.

Sign of deficiency: Dermatitis, depression, muscular pain.

Folate (Folic Acid)

Benefit: Forms red blood cells. Utilizes protein. Very important during pregnancy.

Sign of deficiency: Anemia, stomach problems.

Vitamin C - More Info

Benefit: Antioxidant. Maintains skin, cartilage, bones and teeth. Heals wounds and maintains immune system. Aids iron absorption.

Sign of deficiency: Bleeding gums, weakness, slow wound healing, bad immune system.

Sign of overdose: Stomach problems.

Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) - More Info

Benefit: Regulates calcium metabolism.

Sign of deficiency: Bone softening.

Sign of overdose: Stomach problems, lethargy.

Vitamin E - More Info

Benefit: Antioxidant.

Sign of deficiency: Diarrhea, anemia, problems with the pancreas.

Vitamin K

Benefit: Needed for blood clotting.

Sign of deficiency: Excessive bleeding when injured.

Sign of overdose: Anemia, potential liver damage.

Mineral Profiles

Boron - More Info

Benefit: Promotes bone health.

Calcium - More Info

Benefit: Builds bones and teeth.

Chromium - More Info

Benefit: Metabolizes Insulin.

Copper

Benefit: Aids in iron absorption. synthesizes hemoglobin, produces energy.

Flouride

Benefit: Health of bones and teeth.

Iodine

Benefit: Regulates thyroid hormone.

Iron

Benefit: Formation of red blood cells.

Magnesium - More Info

Benefit: Aids muscle function, supports teeth and cardiovascular system.

Manganese - More Info

Benefit: Helps formation of bones and collagen, metabolizes carbohydrates, synthesizes fatty acids and protein.

Molybdenum

Benefit: Metabolizes iron. Regulates enzymes.

Phosphorus

Benefit: Health of bones and teeth. Regulates enzymes.

Potassium

Benefit: Supports function of nerves, metabolizes protein and carbohydrates. Aids in fluid balancing and muscle contraction.

Selenium - More Info

Benefit: Antioxidant. Protects cells from damage by free radicals.

Vanadium

Benefit: Metabolizes cholesterol and blood sugar.

Zinc - More Info

Benefit: Contributes to maintaining immune and reproductive systems. Aids enzymes.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

One vitamin and one aspirin everyday. I used to be in the hospital about every other year with pneumonia, til my cousin said, "You be stressing huh? I looked at the things that were causing me stress, considered those things unimportant, No more hospitals. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Gulliver:

What's up with Vitamins B4, B7-B11, B13 (and higher)? Not good?

Vitamin A

Chemical Names- Retinol, Beta-Carotene (pro-vitamin A)

Deficiency- Night blindness

RDA- 5,000 IU

Optimal intake- 10,000-25,000 IU Beta Carotene

Good Sources- liver, carrots, spinach

Discussion- Vitamin A is fat soluble, and therefore can be toxic in large amounts. Taking over 25,000 IU of retinol a day can lead to toxic buildup. Beta-Carotene is an antioxidant.

Vitamin B1

Chemical Names- Thiamine

Deficiency- Beriberi

RDA- 1.5 mg

Optimal intake- 5-15 mg

Good Sources- brewer's yeast, peanuts, milk, rice

Discussion- Thiamine is relatively safe.

Vitamin B2

Chemical Names- Riboflavin

Deficiency- lesions on mouth, lips, skin, etc.

RDA- 1.7 mg

Optimal intake- 5-20 mg

Good Sources- Milk, cheese, leafy vegetables

Discussion- Riboflavin is a mild antioxidant. Its bright yellow color colors urine after it is taken. Also known as Vitamin G

Vitamin B3

Chemical Names- Niacin, Niacinamide, Nicotinic Acid

Deficiency- Pellagra

RDA- 20 mg

Optimal intake- 50-500 mg

Good Sources- lean meat, whole wheat, brewer's yeast

Discussion- Niacin in higher doses results in a "flush" reaction, while Niacinamide is flush-free. Niacinamide does not have anti-cholesterol properties though. Also known as Vitamin PP for "pellagra-preventative"

Vitamin B4*

Chemical Names- Adenine

Deficiency- Muscular weakness (in rats and chicks)

Good Sources- Widespread in animal and plant tissues

Discussion- Adenine is a purine base of nucleic acids. Its status as a human vitamin is in doubt.

Vitamin B5

Chemical Names- Pantothenic Acid, Panthenol

Deficiency- hypoglycemia, ulcers, skin disorders.

RDA- 10 mg

Optimal intake- 15-500 mg

Good Sources- Meat, whole grains, leafy vegetables

Discussion- Studies with rats by Dr. Roger Williams showed that Pantothenic Acid is beneficial in fighting the effects of stress.

Vitamin B6

Chemical Names- Pyridoxine

Deficiency- Anemia, dermatitis, glossitis

RDA- 2 mg

Optimal intake- 10-100 mg

Good Sources- Brewer's yeast, soy beans, wheat germ

Discussion- As a methylating agent, B6 has potential to fight homocysteine, thus reducing heart disease. Amounts in excess of 200 mg/day might lead to toxicity, expressed in nerve problems.

Vitamin B7*

Deficiency- Digestive disorders in pigeons.

Good Sources- Rice polish

Discussion- Also known as Vitamin I. See also Biotin which some have called "Vitamin B7."

Vitamin B8*

Chemical Names- Adenylic Acid, Ergadenylic Acid

Deficiency- Decreases RNA, ADP, and ATP synthesis, inhibits breakdown of food into energy, reduces hormone function.

Good Sources- Yeast

Discussion- This nucleotide is still listed as a "Nutrient" by the Merck Index.

Vitamin B9*

Chemical Names- Mixture of multiple B Vitamins

Discussion- See Folic Acid. Some later researchers used Vitamin B9 to classify Folic Acid

Vitamin B10*

Chemical Names- pteroylmonoglutamic acid mixed with other B vitamins

Deficiency- Depressed growth and feathering in chicks.

Discussion- Also known as Vitamin R and "Factor R."

Vitamin B11*

Deficiency- Depressed growth and feathering in chicks

Discussion- Also called Vitamin S and "Factor S."

Vitamin B12

Chemical Names- Cobalamin, Cyanocobalamin

Deficiency- Pernicious Anemia

RDA- 6 mcg

Optimal intake- 100-1,000 mcg

Good Sources- Meat products, cheese

Discussion- B12 reduces homocysteine levels in the blood, thus having use in heart disease prevention. B12 needs "intrinsic factor" to be absorbed, and some stomachs do not produce enough, hence the need for injections.

Vitamin B13*

Chemical Names- Orotic Acid, Pyrimidinecarboxylic Acid

Deficiency- Possibly Multiple Sclerosis

Good Sources- Whey, Root vegetables

Discussion- Orotic Acid, as a "mineral transporter" is available in the form of Calcium Orotate, Magnesium Orotate, etc. Its vitamin status is unlikely. By association, Aspartic Acid, and Colamine Phosphate (Calcium AEP) are in the same class of "mineral transporters," and might have claim as B13.

Vitamin B14*

Deficiency- Anemia

Good Sources- Yeast, grains, legumes, organ meats, wine.

Discussion- Little is known about this; it might be similar to B10 and B11. Perhaps a substance isolated from wine that prevents cancer.

Vitamin B15*

Chemical Names- Pangamic Acid, Pangametin, Dimethylglycine, diisopropylamine dichloroacetate

Optimal intake- 50-150 mg

Good Sources- Yeast, Apricot seeds, Corn

Discussion- The chemical identity of B15 is often disputed. Generally it is believed to be DMG and Gluconic Acid, although other B15 mixtures vary. If DMG is responsible for its benefits, then Trimethylglycine would be B15 by association. Both DMG and TMG act as methylators and reduce homocysteine in the blood. Vitamin status is unlikely.

Vitamin B16*

Discussion- Perhaps studied in Russia, but vitamin status never fully developed.

Vitamin B17*

Chemical Names- Amygdalin, Prunasin (d-mandelonitrile glucoside), Dhurrin, Linamarin, Lotaustralin, Sambunigrin (l-mandelonitrile glucoside), Prulaurasin (dl-mandelonitrile glucoside), Triglochinin, Linustatin, Neolinustatin.

Deficiency- Possibly increased incidence of cancer

Optimal intake- 25-100 mg

Good Sources- Apricot seeds, buckwheat, millet, lima beans, flax

Discussion- Also known as laetrile, anti-cancer substance. B17 is a group of cyanide producing sugars known as "cyanogenic glycosides," and release cyanide when digested. Often taken in concentrated form of amygdalin, but soon after mixed with water, the chemical is subject to ephemerization, so quality is poor when pre-mixed in water. Rodent research suggests anti-metastatic effect at high injectable doses. Vitamin status unlikely.

Vitamin B22*

Discussion- Listed in Linda Clark's Know Your Nutrition. Otherwise, unknown. Yeast a possible source.

Vitamin Bc- See Folic Acid

Vitamin Bh- See Inositol

Vitamin Bp- See Choline

Vitamin Bt*

Chemical Names- L-Carnitine

Optimal intake- 500 mg mg

Good Sources- Chicken, red meats, fish

Discussion- Carnitine is an amino acid and not essential as a protein or vitamin. It has been promoted as a treatment for heart disease.

Vitamin Bx- See PABA

Vitamin Bw- SeeBiotin

Folic Acid

Chemical Names- Folacin, Pteroylglutamic Acid, Folate, Folinic Acid

Deficiency- Nutritional macrocytic anemia

RDA- 400 mcg

Optimal intake- 400-1,000 mg

Good Sources- Green leafy vegetables, soy beans, oranges

Discussion- Folic Acid has potential to fight homocysteine, thus reducing heart disease. Folic Acid is also a key factor in the prevention of many birth defects. Also known as Vitamin M

Biotin

Deficiency- Eczema, improper fat metabolism

RDA- 300 mcg

Optimal intake- 300-10,000 mcg

Good Sources- Brewer's yeast, soy beans, egg yolk

Discussion- A Biotin deficiency is rare. Unless raw egg whites are eaten often (they contain a substance that binds Biotin), we get ample Biotin. Recently high-dose Biotin has been found to benefit Diabetes. Also known as Vitamin H

Choline*

Deficiency- Liver problems

Optimal intake- 100-1000 mg

Good Sources- Brewer's yeast, Leicthin, wheat germ

Discussion- Choline can be made in the human body, but nonetheless, of all questionable vitamins, Choline is closest to being recognized as essential.

Inositol*

Deficiency- possibly Eczema

Optimal intake- 100-1,000 mg

Good Sources- Brewer's yeast, grapefruits, Lecithin, peanuts

Discussion- Inositol is still present in many B-Complex formulas, and is probably a B-Complex "factor," appearing with the B vitamins, rather than an actual vitamin.

PABA*

Chemical Names- Para-Aminobenzoic Acid

Deficiency- Graying of hair, eczema in animals

Optimal intake- 10-100 mg

Good Sources- Brewer's yeast, wheat germ, sunflower seeds

Discussion- PABA was often used in sunscreens, although some people have reactions when it is applied to the skin. Like Choline, and Inositol, it still appears in B-Complex formulas despite not actually "essential."

Vitamin C

Chemical Names- Ascorbic Acid

Deficiency- Scurvy

RDA- 60 mg

Good Sources- Citrus fruits

Discussion- Vitamin C is an antioxidant, and has been found to benefit against cancer, infections, and other disorders.

Vitamin D

Chemical Names- ergocalciferol, calciferol, colecalciferol

Deficiency- Ricketts

RDA- 400 IU

Optimal intake- 400-600 IU

Good Sources- Milk, Sunlight

Discussion- Vitamin D is essential for bone health, and colon cancer prevention.

Vitamin E

Chemical Names- Alpha-tocopherol

Deficiency- infertility

RDA- 30 IU

Optimal intake- 100-400 IU mg

Good Sources- Sunflower seeds, wheat germ

Discussion- Vitamin E has been shown to be a strong antioxidant, and helpful in preventing and treating prostate problems. Alpha-tocopherol is the only vitamin form, although beta, gamma, delta, etc, tocopherols exist, and might be beneficial.

Vitamin F*

Chemical Names- Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Arachadonic Acid

Deficiency- Similar to those associated with lack of fat in diet

RDA- 1% of all Fat intake

Good Sources- Vegetable oils

Discussion- Vitamin F is actually a term for the macroutrients known as Essential Fatty Acids.

Vitamin G- See Vitamin B2

Vitamin H- See Biotin

Vitamin I*- See Vitamin B7

Vitamin J*

Chemical Names- Catechol, Flavin

Good Sources- Higher woody plants

Discussion- Catechol is a flavonoid. Vitamin J has also been applied to Choline

Vitamin K

Chemical Names- Menadione, Phytomenadione

Deficiency- Hemorrhage

RDA- 80 mcg

Optimal intake- 100-150 mcg

Good Sources- Green leafy vegetables, cheeses

Discussion- Vitamin K, essential for blood clotting, is now recognized as a key factor in bone health.

Vitamin L1*

Chemical Names- Ortho-Aminobenzoic Acid

Deficiency- Lactation problems in animals

Vitamin L2*- Adenyl Thiomethylpentose

Deficiency- Lactation problems in animals

Vitamin M- See Folic Acid

Vitamin N*

Chemical Names- Thioctic Acid, Alpha-lipoic acid

Deficiency- lack of growth in protozoa and bacteria.

Optimal intake- 300-600 mg

Discussion- A-Lipoic Acid has been used recently in Diabetes treatment.

Vitamin P*

Chemical Names- Rutin, Hesperidin, Quercetin, Citrus Bioflavonoids

Deficiency- Capillary fragility

Good Sources- Citrus fruits, onions, vegetables

Discussion- While not vitamins, Bioflavonoids are making a comeback as non-essential beneficial chemicals. Often associated with Vitamin C, many referring to Vitamin P as "C-Complex." There are over 1000 chemicals that can be classified as Bioflavonoids.

Vitamin PP - see Vitamin B3

Vitamin Q*

Deficiency- Inability of blood to clot in telagiectasia patients

Good Sources-Soybeans, clover, alfalfa

Discussion- Named after Dr. Armand J. Quick, who found a substance in soybeans could prevent bleeding in people with telagiectasia. According to Quick, only essential in patients with that rare blood disorder.

Vitamin R*- Old name for Vitamin B10. Also on "The Simpsons" the vitamin in the "malk" drink, the kids drank at lunch on a budget crisis!

Vitamin S*

Deficiency- Sterility

Good Sources- kelp

Discussion- I found one reference to this in a book a long time ago. Kelp is known for its many nutrients, so it's likely that this substance is some other vitamin or mineral. Vitamin B11 was also called Vitamin S for awhile.

Vitamin T*

Chemical Names- Tegotin, Termitin, Torutilin

Deficiency- Anemia, lack of growth

Good Sources- Yeast, termites, fungi, sesame seeds

Discussion- Vitamin T has been used as a name for growth-promoting substances in termites, yeast and fungi. However, many sources list it as a blood health factor in sesame seeds. It is likely that these are two separate chemicals and the factor in termites is distinct from that in sesame seeds. This happens because different researchers discover nutrients and call them by the same name, not knowing another person has already used the designation.

Vitamin U*

Chemical Names- Methylmethioninesulfonium Chloride, Cabagin-U

Deficiency- Ulcers

Good Sources- Cabbage, Alfalfa, Green leafy vegetables, egg yolks

Discussion- Cabbage Juice healed ulcers in a week or two, so Dr. Cheney proposed it was a vitamin. Another possible factor responsible for Vitamin U activity in Cabbage and Alfalfa might be Allantoin.

Vitamin V*

Chemical Names- Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide, NAD

Deficiency- Developmental problems in chicks

Discussion- Vitamin V was also used of PABA

Vitamin W*

Discussion- Possibly Biotin

Vitamin X*

Deficiency- Aging

Good Sources- Hydrocotyle Asiatica Minor (an herb)

Discussion- A proposed vitamin by certain researchers, I read about in Worldwide Secrets For Staying Young by Paavo Airola. Ultimately "Vitamin X" is used to describe any unknown vitamin, including PABA before it was isolated.

Vitamin Y*

Discussion- Perhaps Vitamin B6.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

vitamin C thins the blood
It does not, as a matter of fact, unless it's at unbelievably high concentrations as in a blood-donor bag or test tube and

vitamin E will strengthen the elasticity in your veins
is also untrue, besides which one has no relation to the other. As other posters mentioned it is very easy to get vitamin toxicity which can be fatal if untreated. It is important not to overdo it if you are on blood thinners for a heart condition or previous stroke because they can thicken your blood (vitamin K in particular) and lead to repeat events.

On the positive side, high dose vitamin C has been shown in clinical trials to prevent colds and shorten the duration of colds. The dose used in one of the studies was 1000 mg per day.

Casey

Originally posted by cg1155:

vitamin C thins the blood
It does not, as a matter of fact, unless it's at unbelievably high concentrations as in a blood-donor bag or test tube and

vitamin E will strengthen the elasticity in your veins
is also untrue, besides which one has no relation to the other. As other posters mentioned it is very easy to get vitamin toxicity which can be fatal if untreated. It is important not to overdo it if you are on blood thinners for a heart condition or previous stroke because they can thicken your blood (vitamin K in particular) and lead to repeat events.

On the positive side, high dose vitamin C has been shown in clinical trials to prevent colds and shorten the duration of colds. The dose used in one of the studies was 1000 mg per day.

Casey

Casey,

I made these statements based on actual recommendations prescribed by physicians for OVER-THE-COUNTER drugs.

The dosage on the vitamin C was set at 2000 mgs daily by a general practitioner concerned about poor circulation and severe bruising without cause; he also prescribed 500 mg of Oscal Calcium tablets to be taken in conjunction with the vitamin C. That is a pretty high dosage of vitamin C. I trust that my physician knows what he is doing, as his plan certainly made a big difference in the bruising and poor circulation.

The vitamin E with garlic/parsley came highly recommended by my Chiropractor who is also a Nutritionist. He recommended the vitamin E for the skin, and also said that the vitamin E was complimentary to the vitamin C to help strengthen the veins and increase healthy blood flow. He holds licenses in both fields and again I trust he knows what he is talking about.

I don't know what your education in the field of medicine is, but both doctors are highly educated and very successful physicians; plus there have been notable differences made in my health.

Ani, I meant no disrespect, but your assertions are factually wrong. It seems that your physician thinks you have scurvy, which is unlikely, and I'm glad you feel better, but those are not the effects the typical person can expect from taking vitamin C.

Vitamin E is an important cofactor in many biochemical reactions but it's effects on arterial atherosclerotic lesions have not been demonstrated in living persons, only in the lab. It's effects on skin are temporary and do not affect the collagen matrix of skin in a lasting way.

As for my credentials, I have a BS in Biochemistry and have just about finished my last year of medical school. I will start my specialty training in emergency medicine next year. I can't compete with years of experience for your other docs, but I can be pretty sure that my information is as up to date and scientifically acurate as possible. That said if it works for you then fine. I only posted previously because your post would lead people to expect things from these vitamins that do not in fact happen.

Thanks,

Casey

Coaster-

Vitamins will help, as they always do for me. I used to take B6 Complexes daily for tendonitis and whatnot, and a couple of years ago i just upgraded to a daily multivitamin. Aside from not getting sick as often, and not staying sick as long, i also notice that in general i feel better even when i'm well.

Right now, the 3 things that will do you the most good:

1) Sleep- this heals everything. Sleep is when your body repairs itself.

2) Lots and Lots of fluids- not carbonated or sugary stuff (soda, beer, etc). Water is best. As much as you can handle. It prevents dehydration and speeds up the healing. I typically drink so much fluids when i'm sick that i'm getting up about every 15 minutes to take a leak.

3) Staying warm. Yeah i know what time of year it is. But overdressing (even indoors) and bumping your body temperature up also helps. This is the point of a fever- the elevated body temperature helps in killing the microbes that your body is fighting. Most people don't realise that taking asprin or tylenol to kill their fever, they are lenghening the amount of time they are sick.

I imagine that you already know all this stuff and will just say "well duh", but still. This is what works for me.

Oh, and if your lungs rattle when you breathe and/or you are coughing up grey, green or yellow crap that tastes terrible, that's bronchitis. It won't go away without antibiotics.

If your chest feels tight when you breathe, that's either bronchitis or pneumonia. I hate seeing the doctor too, but this is where it becomes necessary to get over what's ailing you.

Good luck.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Ani:

I'm not trying to alarm you, but rather caution you as to seeking the advice of your physician or his nurse.

Good luck finding one that can spell vitamin. He can spell drug but he can't spell vitamin. And dollar. He can spell dollar. And so can the drug companies.

I don't trust vitamin companies but I don't trust docs either. Some great ones, yep, but in general, cast a wary eye if he has on a white coat.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Hey Coaster guy

I`m not medically lisenced but I`ve been looking into this stuff for a long time-DON`T take a bunch of over-the counter drugs and a bunch of high-dose vitamins at the same time. The pharmaceutical industry and the vitamin industry have a rather antagonistic relationship, there hasn`t been nearly enough research into how those things interact when in the body, especially in combinations of three or more different preparations. If you`re on one, lay off the other.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

And OVER-THE-COUNTER does not mean SAFE.

which brings up my pet-peeve: "it's organic so it's all natural AND TOTALLY SAFE!!" my mom's a neurologist and practically had a heartattack a couple years back when some teenage girl, selling of all things, a oil-stain removing solution (for concrete/driveways/etc..) was about to drink some of the contents. When my mom yelled for her to stop, the girl said: "it's fine, it's all natural." Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

or my personal favorite: "...and best of all, this fat burner is ephedrine free..."checking the ingredients list: ma-huang, or even ephedra..."and it's all natural: ma-huang, white willow bark, etc etc"

relying on the saftety of over the counter = russian roulette

Funny this topic came up today!

I am 46 years old. I do not take vitamins. I had some big, fairly constant mo-fo heart palpatations over the weekend that scared the shit outta me and made me leave work on Monday for the heart group next door. They ran an EKG and a 30 second strip which was normal. (missed my missed beat but anyway....)They told me I was having PVC'S (pre-ventricular contractions) and to lay of caffeine for a week and see what happens. I went into google-land and found a lot of talk about Magnesium, and how it has helped some folks. As a matter of fact, putting in the word "palpatations" and "magnesium" conjured up THOUSANDS of matches. Took one of my wifes horsepill vitamins and within 30 minutes it was all over. Till this day. Coincidence, or lack of minerals in my diet at my aging causing this symptomology??? Someone tell me. :freak: ---Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Coincidence, or lack of minerals in my diet at my aging causing this symptomology??? Someone tell me. ---Lee

Now I will be the first to admit that vitamin deficiencies are not my daily thing, but I do know what they all do and how they're all supposed to work. In my experience and education the patients who develop cardiac rhythm problems due to low magnesium levels are heart attack/heart failure type patients. Magnesium is very available in most people's diets and it is unlikely for anyone to have a low magnesium level. Also the amount of magnesium in your typical vitamin pill is unlikely to cause a substantial rise in serum magnesium.

PVC's come and go, sometimes for no reason. Some people are more susceptible than others. Overall they are more likely to be present in people on "uppers" like caffeine, speed, etc. They are not a worrisome rhythm unless frequent and related to episodes of chest pain, lightheadedness, etc.

As for EKG's, if you're not having the rhythm then they don't show anything. That's why we also take blood enzyme levels in the ER on people complaining of chest pain if they have a convincing story for a heart related problem.

So my money is on coincidence, but generally it is a good idea to take a vitamin since we have such crappy diets these days.

Casey

i talked to some locals and they recommended i try CENTRUM 1 a day.

it seems like a good idea, and i DO really feel a lot better after the vitamin C and E last night.

i'm almost off my prescriptions, the steriods are tapered off over ten days and i am almost done with that. 2 more days left. i might actually be coming out of this thing, except i feel like i want to crawl out of my skin right now. kind of creepy. the woman says its sleep deprivation.

Interesting Coaster - I take daily vitamin suppliments and have been for the last 20 years...on the outside it knocks 10 years off my age, on the inside I think the anti-oxidents and stuff helps too, I don't smoke either.

But doing a 'shock' (he he as we say in the swimming pool world) is something I don;t usually do but it sounds like you've hit on something for you. I did take 1000mg of E cold one time before I began taking suppliments and it felt kinda wierd.

I think though with vitamin C it is good to break the dosage up if you're gonna do that long term because of the acidic content. There's probably some stuff on the internet that discusses this...

Get better... :wave:

Oh my god you didn't say you were on steroids! No wonder you're feeling so bad. Did your doctor tell you how they would make you feel, and have you been on them before? Talk to some parents of kids with astham and they'll tellyou how the steroids are kinda like a Jekel and Hyde thing with their kids. Steroids make most people feel absolutely terrible so I'm not surprised that you feel so bad. Fortunately you're almost done with them I guess.

ive never been on them before. i AM easily angered. waaaay to easily. but i am aware of it, so i try hard not to act on it.

also, i am eating about 4 times my normal amount. i am a pig!

today i have eaten:

2 eggs

1/4 pack of bacon (thats a lot)

pizza pan full of tater tots

entire frozen pizza

sub sandwich

2 tacos

toast

and thats just lunch.

i am hungry again!

Coincidence, or lack of minerals in my diet at my aging causing this symptomology??? Someone tell me. ---Lee

Now I will be the first to admit that vitamin deficiencies are not my daily thing, but I do know what they all do and how they're all supposed to work. In my experience and education the patients who develop cardiac rhythm problems due to low magnesium levels are heart attack/heart failure type patients. Magnesium is very available in most people's diets and it is unlikely for anyone to have a low magnesium level. Also the amount of magnesium in your typical vitamin pill is unlikely to cause a substantial rise in serum magnesium.

PVC's come and go, sometimes for no reason. Some people are more susceptible than others. Overall they are more likely to be present in people on "uppers" like caffeine, speed, etc. They are not a worrisome rhythm unless frequent and related to episodes of chest pain, lightheadedness, etc.

As for EKG's, if you're not having the rhythm then they don't show anything. That's why we also take blood enzyme levels in the ER on people complaining of chest pain if they have a convincing story for a heart related problem.

So my money is on coincidence, but generally it is a good idea to take a vitamin since we have such crappy diets these days.

Casey

Thanks for the info, Casey! All the best in nml cardiac rhythms, Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

today i have eaten:

2 eggs

entire frozen pizza

sub sandwich

2 tacos

toast

and thats just lunch.

i am hungry again!

I'm going to play mother hen here..... with a menu like that, you NEED vitamin suppliments. :D

In my family history, to eat like that would be like a heart attack begging to happen.

Steroids do, however, create some serious munchies from what I've experienced. I had to get injections of steroids into my finger that had nerve damage last summer. Just a self explained summary of my INTERPRETATION of how my Physician explained my treatment. That is not a medically specific diagnosis. Please make note of the fact that I am not a qualified expert capable of relating medical science while sharing personal experiences. :D

Casey,

I can assure you that my Doctor/Doctors were not treating me for scarvy which is a condition of bruising and bleeding of the gums. I'm not a medical scholar, nor do I care how much schooling you have had in your field. I simply cautioned a virtual friend to be wary of self medicating and suggested he might want to consult with his physician. However, I "am" a wizard with web research and I thought that I'd allow you to see this particular article relative to Vitamin E and it's effect on strengthening blood vessels.

http://www.westcoastnaturals.com/product_description.asp?ID=41

Here is an exerpt from the provided link above.

Vitamin E is a recognized anti-oxidant, which slows down cellular aging due to oxidation. It supplies oxygen to the blood, thus helping to alleviate fatigue.

Vitamin E strengthens capillary walls and prevents red blood cells from being invaded by antigens and free radicals. It can also help prevent blood clots from forming and may help dissolve existing clots.

Vitamin E has been used by doctors to help prevent sterility, muscular dystrophy, calcium deposits in the walls of blood vessels and heart conditions, as well as aid in blood glucose moderation.

A deficiency of Vitamin E may result in a variety of conditions. Some of these include rupture of red blood cells, infertility (sterility), lack of sexual vitality, abnormal fat deposits in muscle tissue, degeneration of the heart and other muscles, and dry skin. Vitamin E is also useful if applied topically.

Here is a definition as to what capillary walls are for those not medically adept:

Capillaries: Tiny blood vessels connecting arteries to veins. These blood vessels carry oxygen and nutrients to individual cells throughout the body.
I didn't find anything on the vitamin C with blood thinning, however, I did find this article that discussed vitamin C being administered in conjunction with aspirins, which are used as blood thinners, to help coat the stomach lining.

http://www.cincinnatiymca.org/allentabetips/09-08-03.htm

Now that I think about it, along with the vitamins C, E, and Calcium, the Doctor also had me taking 1000mg of aspirin daily as part of the package; I didn't mention aspirin because I considered it to be a drug and not a vitamin.

The bruising was in my legs and the vitamins and aspirin were to help prevent blood clumping and enhance circulation.

2 eggs

entire frozen pizza

sub sandwich

2 tacos

toast

Eating like this can kill you soon. Too much cholesteral,, fat, nitrates and bread, hardly any nutrition which is why you still feel hungry. Bread slows the digestion process dramatically and prevents absorbsion of nutrients. Vitamins won't help with this diet.

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Like I said before Ani, I have no beef with you or with what your doctors are doing for you. Since I know absolutely nothing about you medically and for all I know your doctors have a great medical plan going for you. I only posted because you stated that Vitamin E and vitamin C do things that they absolutely do not do.

As for your references, the Vitamin E reference is from a vitamin supply company, who have a financial interest in making sure their customers believe their products do something for you. It's a sales pitch, not scietific evidence. Your Vitamin C reference is interesting but also does not speak to the common and expectable effects of vitamin C use. Scurvy is a connective tissue disorder that affects the gums but may also be the cause of easy bruising. It is rather rare in industrialized countries.

Now, if you care to try your web search skills, www.pubmed.com is a goverment index of every published medical study since 1965 in every journal. You should be able to find some great stuff there. Here is some I found:

Vitamin C and Scurvy

Vitamin E and Cardiovascular disease

Cardiovascular benefit of Vitamin C

As a doctor, I am obligated to recommend to my patients medications/vitamins/herbals that have a proven benefit or are, at worst, unlikely to cause harm. That is why we spend a lot of time learning dosing, interactions, etc. and how to do searches on Pubmed to find the best evidence for what we do.

Like I said before, I have no problem with you or what your doctors are doing for you, but the average person cannot expect the results of "vitamin C thins the blood, while vitamin E will strengthen the elasticity in your veins" while taking vitamin C or E. Since, when taken at high doses, both of these medications may have undesired side effects, it is important to know what you are taking them for.

Coaster man I hope you get over this thing soon.

As for vitamins I've been taking a Centrum one a day vitamin that comes with gensing and all that kinda crap as well as an extra Vitamin E. I swear by these. My health has been much much stronger since starting on these 5 years ago or so.

There are a lot of conflicting ideas on the benefits of vitamins. I wouldn't over do it but I think the one a days are definitely a good idea.

Also, wash your hands frequently. Get well soon, chief.

Also, wash your hands frequently.
This could be the best advice in this thread. In our hospital they've put the alcohol hand wash in every patient room so that we keep our hands clean all day without having them crack wide open due to the dry winter air.

Also, wash your hands frequently.
This could be the best advice in this thread. In our hospital they've put the alcohol hand wash in every patient room so that we keep our hands clean all day without having them crack wide open due to the dry winter air.
cg1155-

I wonder if you could answer a question for me-I`ve had several jobs in hospitals, including tidying up in the surgical theater-that was a fun one (what on earth IS that?). Anyway, I wrote a song some time ago that refers to Betadine, is that still used for personal disinfection or is it totally out of date?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Like I said before, I have no problem with you or what your doctors are doing for you, but the average person cannot expect the results of "vitamin C thins the blood, while vitamin E will strengthen the elasticity in your veins" while taking vitamin C or E.

Casey,

I corrected myself on the vitamin C as I couldn't find anything relative to vitamin C thinning the blood, when I saw the statements of aspirin thinning the blood and vitamin C being used in conjunction with the aspirin to coat the stomach to keep the aspirin from doing damage; I remembered that the doctor had also prescribed aspirins along with the dosages of vitamins. I just knew that the combination of vitamins and drugs were used as treatment for blood clumping.

I've had problems with blood clots in my legs, on and off, for several years. During more recent years, I've discovered certain consumed items that tend to make this condition appear and I've avoided those things. The last serious outburst was about a year ago where my legs turned black and blue (both legs) with knots all over them from the calf of my legs down into my ankles. It felt like I had sand running through my veins. I had been taking Metabolife rountinely for about 3 months, and I had realized that the time before when I had my colon ressection, I had been taking Metabolife for two years. There had been a break in taking the product for nearly two years, and within 3 months of starting it back up, I was having serious blood issues. I discontinued it's use immediately. Also, I can no longer consume any products containing Cromium Picolinate, Nutra Sweet, or Aspartine with out the condition recurring. I don't know if there is some type of a crystalizing effect when using Aspartine products simultaneously with Cromium Picolinate products; but I avoid anything with either like the plague.

My theory is that these two products test negative for harm done separately, and therefore both are acceptable by the FDA. But used in combination as a dieting plan, they reak havoc on the body. Most people taking diet pills will opt to go for foods with substitute sugar products. I know there are a lot of people dying premature deaths with heart conditions, I wonder how many of them are regular dieters.

skip betadine is still used all over the place in the hospital for just about any procedure that requires a sterile field.

Ani, I hope your legs get better, like I said I have no doubt that your doctor's plan for you is a good one, just isn't something that generalizes well.

Casey

Archived