Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the incrediburgible D Trucks / further proof

d  halfnote

While Jeff Beck remains the master of all forms of note bending in all forms other than slide ( which, for whatever reason, he just ain't toched ) Derek T seems to be his arch-rival in terms of microtonal note embellishments as well as emotional conveyance.

[video:youtube]

Take note, so to speak, that while this is at least partly improvised, the accompaniment betrays the considerable rehearsal time.

d=halfnote

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me Derek is just like Clapton...they can both give you a clean lead full of surprises and then fade back into the mix and let others take the spotlight, like the perfect gentlemen that they are...Derek is a class act and plays some great slide guitar with his own unique touch! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'll go along with that Larry, but y'all also gotta remember....

Derek comes from good stock. AND he grew up in the midst of all that influence and has the good sense to not ignore it in favor of what's the "flavor of the month" these days.

He's TRULY keeping the faith!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I'd say 98% improvised. These guys have played this song a thousand times. Derek channels Duane like nobody else but with his own little nuances that are so tasty. I dig that Firebird Warren is playing - just looks so cool but not his usual axe.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I just love Derek Trucks; one of my very favorite players. What great feel and musicality. He seems to evoke the maneuvers of a classic Soul and R&B singer in his soloing on guitar, especially with the slide. Great fingerstyle "touch" and use of that volume-knob, as well. :cool: Really nice guy, too.

Jeff Beck rarely, if ever, uses a slide 'cause he'll often sound like he's using one when he isn't.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Jeff Beck rarely, if ever, uses a slide 'cause he'll often sound like he's using one when he isn't.

Examples of that:

Well, I stand corrected- as well as seconded! :D

Jeff Beck HAS done slide playing - Eric Johnson said Jeff was his favorite slide guitarist!

Some of his live DVDs show him doing so - right now I can't stop and check out WHICH ones.

I'm a Derek fan, too.

Yeah, he starts out with a big glass slide in the beginning of one of those videos that Scott posted. :cool::thu:

FWIW, beyond the full length perfs available on YTube, there's a who;e ream of excerpted solos

list at

https://www.youtube.com/resultssearch_query=derek+trucks+solo+compilation

while it just might be there's not a bad Trucks perf, one of the most exhilarating, both for the contrasts in the fiery* &stunningly emotive sections is here... tune into the stadium section starting abt 5:50...it's like a force of nature, perhaps a summer storm that starts gently but escalates to furious proportion before tapeing off.

[video:youtube]:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdbHItuADY

A couple observances on his technique: notice how he favors the upward snap with his R hand (but not always the same finger).

He also does something very intriguing sometimes when playing w/out the slide; he uses index & 2nd finger in a shape we might call the Django grip. sliding up & down the neck on 2 strings.

You can see it in that Dreams vid above at abt the 4 min mark.

d=halfnote

FWIW, beyond the full length perfs available on YTube, there's a who;e ream of excerpted solos

list at

https://www.youtube.com/resultssearch_query=derek+trucks+solo+compilation

while it just might be there's not a bad Trucks perf, one of the most exhilarating, both for the contrasts in the fiery* &stunningly emotive sections is here... tune into the stadium section starting abt 5:50...it's like a force of nature, perhaps a summer storm that starts gently but escalates to furious proportion before tapeing off.

[video:youtube]:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdbHItuADY

Yes, indeed. :cool: He's got quite a gift for dynamics, building to an incredible flash-point climaxe, and then follow-through with "epilogue" happy endings and blue-skies goodbyes.

I love Derek Trucks.

He also does something very intriguing sometimes when playing w/out the slide; he uses index & 2nd finger in a shape we might call the Django grip. sliding up & down the neck on 2 strings.

You can see it in that Dreams vid above at abt the 4 min mark.

The Open-E, Open-A, and other such tunings that he favors really lend themselves to those grips; I'd bet that what you're describing is taking place on the 3rd and 5th strings, or the 2nd and 4th, depending on the given Open Tuning, and resembles the shapes of "Sliding 6ths"-grips from Standard Tuning. You'd probably observe the same or similar moves by Keith Richards when fretting on an Open-G or Open-D tuned axe.

Actually, in this case he's got the index finger on 5th & 2nd finger on 4th, although it's hard to tell which strings he's actually hitting w/ R hand b/c he's picking at various strings, at times w/ thumb, at times w/ fingers.

Plus it sounds like single notes...but that could be part of the deceptive pitch effect off very loud music---& he does have volume dialed in to max, esp on slide ( you can hear that at moments when his muting lapses & a momentary distorted roar comes through.

I've never really explored trad alternate tunings once I realized you could play many more note combinations (an at least 3 string version of any chord, major, minor, even extensions such as 7ths ~ 13ths) are available with slide in standard--- I don't think that can be achieved to any real degree in chordal tunings.

Therefore I can't begin to guess at which pitch is at which fret...plus there's the fact of the same fingering giving different note relationships at different frets, no matter what the tuning.

[bTW, "Dreams" was supposedly recorded by D Allman in standard tuning, as an impromtu, last mnnute decision.]

While it's the player, not really the tools or magic tricks, that provide the music, an examination of methods can be instructive.

-----------------

BTW / FWIW / & FYI, those wondering what the asterix in my previous post is abt, I 've alwasy wondered at the spelling "fiery"---shouldn't it be "firey" ?

d=halfnote

I've never really explored trad alternate tunings once I realized you could play many more note combinations (an at least 3 string version of any chord, major, minor, even extensions such as 7ths ~ 13ths) are available with slide in standard--- I don't think that can be achieved to any real degree in chordal tunings.

I agree d

I play slide in standard tuning most of the time. When I do change tunings it's just the high E string down to D for certain songs. Many more options available in standard.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Maybe they're out of sight somewhere, but the one thing I DID notice from the clip....

The floor of the stage WASN'T cluttered with pedals and stomp boxes! :D

Just sayin'...... :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but there was some comments made about Jeff Beck not being a slide player.

Check it out at 4:22

[video:youtube]

SEHpicker

Archived