Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 / 9 / 2K15 some things abt John Lennon

d  halfnote

Some things abt John Lennon

Rhythm guitar endurance test

All My Loving

[video:youtube]

Lead gtr endurance test

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmWhONlnPc

They said it couldn't be done ; JL embarrasses Mick Jagger

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatIkEmO5wA

Instant Karma / Instantly composed, Instantly recorded & Instatly distributed (all in abt a week)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4

All You Need Is An Offbeat sense of Timing

All You Need Is Love ... 3/4...4/4...who for ?

Good Morning...5/4 or what ?

Yer Birthday.... a joke even JL would dig

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJepRNpaNz8

John & Paul having a laugh or 2

John Lennon lead guitarist

Wilson Pickett Can't Do That Better than Me

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpE0CG3AD5k

John Addresses the Upper Crumbs, er, Crust

JL gives yer a goose

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDtRLLyAuQ

Hey Bulldog..gtr mystery or gtr mastery ?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpDVltyYrEI

Monkeying Around With My Monkey...Jl rakes all philosophy over the coals

After the Endurance Tests

I'm So Tired

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZodBYQ4pJ0M

Julia

One John 2 Another

Scofield plays Julia

Across The Universe

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjq9LmSO1eI

[tech assts by Griffinator]

d=halfnote

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, great takes on Instant Karma! and Yer Blues; two of my faves. Lennon sends chills down my spine -- especially when WATCHING him perform. It must have been an incredible experience to have been amongst the musicians he chose to work with as The Beatles began to unfold.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Happy Birthday to you John...10/9/1940...RIP. One of the greatest singer/songwriters in my life, that I will always remember. :cool:

Hee! Pun intended? :D

I really don't get how anybody can think that he was a communist, as he was a fierce champion of free thought and speech.

And in spite of this sidetrack, I knew what you essentially thought, Larry, and I'm in agreement. :)

And I get YOUR pun, too Fred, however, there WERE many who thought he was a communist. Just ask J Edgar Hoover. The name had little to do with it, however.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

After some thought, I wondered if Fred was making offhand referrence to the FIRESIGN THEATER album cover that had a mock photo of Soviet officials watching a "May Day" parade underneath a huge sign that read, "All Hail"---then continued with , "Marx" and THEN "Lennon" with two huge pictures of GROUCHO MARX and JOHN LENNON side by side!

It's the cover of the LP that contains "Nick Danger, private third eye".

But, I still can't help wondering just what a 75 year old John Lennon would be up to these days.....

Or would he STILL be dead by now, only of natural causes?

Would his songs' lyrics be MORE acerbic and trenchant, or more laid back and introspective?

Would he be using newer, experimental sounds and instrumentation? Or still be overusing that reverb on the vocals...

Would he have done a lot of collaborations with BOTH of his sons? Or pick one over the other?

It's all intersting to think about.

Whitefang

It's sad to think about what the great/late musicians of our time would be doing now. There are so many and we'll never know what we've missed.

Whatever John would be up to would certainly reflect more of the genius that he still had inside. C'est la vie.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I wish George and Ringo would have shared in some of the song writing credits...Paul and John could have the lion share in percentages, but much of what goes on in the studio is a collaboration. I get inspired by chords, rhythm, harmony, bass, drums, strings, brass, etc., when I attempt to write. They are/were all super talented and feed off of each other. It reminds me of Elvis for some reason. Having watched clips of him in the studio, he definitely earned at least some writing mention. Scotty Moore said Elvis never told the boys what or how to play and let them come up with their parts. But, he would feed off of their vibe. He would make changes in the keys, beats, lyrics, phrasing, etc., on the fly and add his voice and feeling to the song no matter who wrote it.

One of the songs I like best by the Beatles is nothing special titled OH DARLING. John said it was made for his voice and he should have been the one to sing it. But, because Paul wrote it (even though they share credits) he felt it was only right to let Paul sing it even though he could have done better... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

One of the songs I like best by the Beatles is nothing special titled OH DARLING. John said it was made for his voice and he should have been the one to sing it. But, because Paul wrote it (even though they share credits) he felt it was only right to let Paul sing it even though he could have done better... :cool:

I always felt John should have sung 'Oh Darling'. I think Paul didn't want to be pigeon-holed as the guy who did all the pretty melodies & wanted to show his rocking blues influences, but it really was a John sort of song.

Scott Fraser

I always felt John should have sung 'Oh Darling'. I think Paul didn't want to be pigeon-holed as the guy who did all the pretty melodies & wanted to show his rocking blues influences, but it really was a John sort of song.

eh - maybe so - but you gotta give McCartney his due - he nailed Oh Darlin - IMHO

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

eh - maybe so - but you gotta give McCartney his due - he nailed Oh Darlin - IMHO

Oh he certainly did, but the song is much more in the "Yer Blues" vein than, say "Blackbird".

+1 Scott and +1 SEH, if Paul hadn't nailed it, I wouldn't like the song so much LOL! But, I think John could have done it a little better...so, how about we compromise? Let Paul do the Oh Darling parts and then they could have let John do the When You Told Me raspy parts... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Actually, I'd swap that around. I'd never thought about it before, but now that I do, the "Oh Darlin' " part has Lennon's voice written all over it, while the raspy parts are all Macca all the way (remember Lucille, I'm Down, Long Tall Sally, and the other songs in that vein from the early Beatles oeuvre?).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

You may be right Mark, but remember I've already heard Paul do both parts...I wish I could have found a clip of John doing a cover of both parts for comparison. Since they share and share alike, you would think they could take turns LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

WAS a Firesign fan, Fred? I STILL give the occasional listen to that LP, and "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers", and "Waiting For The Electrician" (etc.)

And you of course noticed the Beatles referrences in "Nick Danger". So mentioning them here, outside of John's photo on an LP cover IS still sort of fitting. :)

Whitefang

Oh, and MARK?

Paul did have a fairly versitile voice, and there were some songs(can't think of any right now offhand) we used to think RINGO sang the lead on, but turned out to be McCartney.

While John did have a pleasantly good singing voice, it wasn't very strong nor durable. The old story of his vocals on "Rock and Roll Music" tearing his throat up is legend.

Whitefang

Hmm, George Martin said John had the best voice in rock and roll.

After getting the Beatles Mono Box, it became clear to me he was the band leader up until Sgt. Pepper or thereabouts, and Macca sounds hesitant and desperate to catch up to his slightly older hero.

Also, these original mixes have Lennon out front on almost every song; whereas the stereo mixes (an afterthought for the most part) push Macca's voice to the front. In many cases, what we thought was the melody, was the harmony (though many songs had co-melodies).

I'm a huge McCartney fan, so don't get me wrong. I even think Ringo is greatly underrated both as a drummer and a songwriter, and that he has a charming voice as long as he doesn't try to sing ballads (e.g. Sentimental Journey) and other stuff where long held notes expose his untrained and not-so-versatile voice.

Lennon wasn't always at his best -- especially in later years. And he was no saint, for sure (though far from a devil as well). When Lennon was shot, I cried a bit but was mostly angry: how dare someone take him from us (a selfish thought).

When Harrison died, I cried for days.

In my later years, I have warmed to Lennon a lot more, but also have read more negatives than ever about things he did to people in his youth -- including when he was old enough to know better (after success with The Beatles). Yet he would always apologize to the ends of the earth. Self-control was not his forte, but he really did have a heart of gold and a lot of love in him for everybody.

Together, the group seems an ever-rarer example of successful people who never forgot their roots, where they came from, those less fortunate, and how they could make a positive difference in the world and encourage people to never give up on peace.

For all the flak she gets, I think Yoko is underrated, and especially as a poet. In reading her collection "Acorn", you can see how she and John began to grow ever more alike in their thinking process, and just how strong their bond was (in spite of his relapses into "rock and roll lifestyle"). Such strength she has, and wisdom. These are great "thought pieces" that aim to help us reach a balance no matter what life throws at us, and to change perspective when things look dark.

For years and years, it seemed so impossible to me that John could be gone, that I would keep rereading the clippings in hopes that he was "merely" in a coma somewhere private and would rejoin us when he "got well". I think he is so much a part of our collective conscience that he never truly died.

"Well said, well written" Mark. I still think of John and George as living out there somewhere in the world and wish they could be on stage again. I saw the Circ De Sole Beatles Love tribute in Vegas a few years back and it was the closest you could come to seeing them on stage again. A wonderful show that I would love to go see again...

George is my favorite Beatle for his guitar playing and musical contributions, vocals, etc., and he deserves way more credit than he received... :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Take care, Larryz

"Well said, well written" Mark. I still think of John and George as living out there somewhere in the world and wish they could be on stage again. I saw the Circ De Sole Beatles Love tribute in Vegas a few years back and it was the closest you could come to seeing them on stage again. A wonderful show that I would love to go see again...

George is my favorite Beatle for his guitar playing and musical contributions, vocals, etc., and he deserves way more credit than he received... :cool::cool::cool::cool:

George was a musical genius in his own right. Maybe not as productive as Paul or John, but the songs he did write were simply sublime.

And you can instantly identify his excellent slide guitar style on his and other artist's songs.

SEHpicker

I'll certainly go along with much of what Mark wrote.

I tend to think MOST, if not all, guitar "slingers" held George as their favorite, and most guys with a bit of insecurity liked John more than Paul due to all the girls thinking Paul was so "cute". :D

Well, there's no arguing he WAS good looking, but then again----

They each of them had talent. George was perhaps as good a songsmith as both Lennon AND McCartney, but he hadn't the self confidence, from what I've always read and heard, and it was MARTIN, I think, who did most of the coaxing to get him to write and submit more songs.

I neither cried nor got angry at the news of Lennon's death. Shock and a bit of anger, sure. And actually, that some misguided Klansman(is there another kind?) or disgruntled FBI agent did the deed was my initial thought. And George's death was just a shame. I always thought him an equal in the wit department with John as well. And as far as Ringo being "underrated"----

I always recall the DOWNBEAT magazine interview with premier drummer BUDDY RICH in which, to the interviewer's surprise, he claimed he liked RINGO as a drummer better than BILLY COBHAM! "Ringo", said Rich, "Has that snap and personal 'groove' to his playing style that Cobham's too busy to put in his. And Ringo supports the MUSIC, he doesn't try to 'out dazzle' what's being played by the rest of the band." In other words, he gave the music what it needed. Not more, not less.

I saw a Canadian tribute band called "The Caverners" a couple of times. Pretty good, as far as Beatles tribute bands go.

I don't think McCartney ever "looked up" to Lennon as some sort of "hero". That he did like his songwriting and considered him a great collaborator, I've no doubt. Their discordant "rivalry" was more press and fan build-up than anything based in reality is my opinion. There IS a nice story concerning Lennon and Harrison though---

On one night when George was the SNL musical guest, McCartney was visiting Lennon at the Dakota apartment and they tuned into the show. McCartney thought of dropping into the studio and surprise not only the producers but people in general. Lennon thought it'd be a hoot, but nixed it due to(something like) "You know, when we were Beatles, we both of us tended to push George to the back a little every now and then. Let's let HIM keep the spotlight tonight." Something to that effect. Don't know HOW true it is, or IF it is, but I like to think it is. :)

Whitefang

Some further things, in response...

[1]

"I've created a monster." / Griff

I was already a monster, GMan.

[2]

"I wish George and Ringo would have shared in some of the song writing credits" / Larry Z

Built into their original publishing contract w/Dick James, were terms that gave both Harrison & Starr shares in the company, so they also earned directly, not from just the record mechanicals but the publishing.

No such terms were in Harrison's publishing.

Ultimately, though, both James & Epstein made the lion's share of their publishing.

James w/ the typical 50% split & Epstein, who also had shares in the publishing company, drew 25% off the top for every penny the band made for live perfs, recs & films, something that continued after his death via his estate's control of NEMS Enterprises ( who knows that may even continue on the apparently endless reissues ).

[3]

"Would his songs' lyrics be MORE acerbic and trenchant, or more laid back and introspective?" / WFang

He was always both & likely would've remained so.

[4]

"While John did have a pleasantly good singing voice, it wasn't very strong nor durable" / Fang

"Hmm, George Martin said John had the best voice in rock and roll." / Mark Schmieder

Well, even more significant, in Geoff Emerik's memoir, HERE, THERE & EVERYWHERE, he says Lennon was the only Beatle nover to mess a take by singing off-key (although fluffing lyrics was a problem, although outtake evidence demonstrates they all did that).'Lennon's early tracks had some incredibly raucous but other times ear-whiperingly gentle perfs.

I think somehow he just lost interest in that aspect of singing.

[Last number]

As to "o Darling", etc, just more of the career-long rivally between John & Paul.

They often presented songs that were clearly insprired by something from the other.

In this case it's Paul going after "Don't Let Me Down" from the earlier Let It Be sessions.

d=halfnote

In the "Anthology" tapes, McCartney goes on often about being, "A big fan of John".

No doubt, there was probably a lot of inspiration and influence bouncing back and forth between the two. AND, I'll venture to say---a lot of mutual admiration. Many might not think so due to the overblown "rivalry" near the end of the band's tenure which as I stated earlier was (in my estimation) built up by music press as a juicy story. Nobody, it was likely percieved, would have been much interested if they constantly published stories about how great they got along together.

I've also don't doubt there was considerable strain near the end, but I don't think it was as heated as we were led to believe.

Whitefang

Archived