Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don't stop believing left hand rhythm

Phred

that sheet music is crap. I have a different version thats also crap, but completely different.

They're all crap sheet music unless they got daggers and chicken feet.

+1 :laugh:

Keyboard Mag needs to do an article based on zeronyne's tab system. It would be like the forum doing a giant funny on the non-forum member readership.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!

You guys are amazing. I hear it now, not random at all, just depends on whether there is singing or not.

We are not a tribute band, just trying to cover the song and not sound like an idiot playing out of step with my Bass player...

What to play in the non piano part of the song was going to be my next question. I think I got the streetlight people part ok, its the verse/chorus later in the song. I hear brass/string stabs on the 3 and the and-of-3 for all chords, except the A. On the A I hear a b-a-g# single note walk down (although that's from memory).

I don't hear piano during this part. I was thinking of doubling the riff with the guitar and bass player on the piano during this part.

Is that also what you guys do?

Thanks again all...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

WOW!

You guys are amazing. I hear it now, not random at all, just depends on whether there is singing or not.

We are not a tribute band, just trying to cover the song and not sound like an idiot playing out of step with my Bass player...

What to play in the non piano part of the song was going to be my next question. I think I got the streetlight people part ok, its the verse/chorus later in the song. I hear brass/string stabs on the 3 and the and-of-3 for all chords, except the A. On the A I hear a b-a-g# single note walk down (although that's from memory).

I don't hear piano during this part. I was thinking of doubling the riff with the guitar and bass player on the piano during this part.

Is that also what you guys do?

Thanks again all...

Phred, as you mentioned, the most important thing is to be locked in with your bass player.

As far as the synth parts during the rest of the song, if you can wait until tonight, I can record what I do and post it here.

It is what Jonathan Cain is currently doing.

It is entirely based on the intro/main piano riff. Except instead of playing on the piano, he is accenting with his synth.

Example:

notes low to high B E B...... B F# B......B E B.....C# E A... and while holding the C# and E modulate the A down to G# and back to A.

It'll make sense when you hear it isolated.

Jonathan basically plays that over and over changing from pure stabs, to arpeggiated stabs, etc... it's very fluid, but accents the main verse riffs that Neal is playing on guitar.

As an aside, this is kind of fun, I've never really broken out a song this way before, and I'm doing this all from memory without sitting at a keyboard ;)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

MOI, how do you play octaves while maintaining legato?

Tiny bit of sustain pedal where the intervals might otherwise sound too choppy (really just the 5th and the octave drop). But the cleaner and harder you hit those anticipated downs (meaning, even if you have to forfeit the slur), the more epic it sounds, IMO.

This is ONLY during the intro, and, if you're feeling testicular, the call-back of the intro between the verses. I barely touch the LH during the verses.

Not that I get to play this tune that often. But when I do, that's usually how I do it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Thanks again!

I hear the synth stabs, but not the arpeggios... I have found a couple of live versions, but still am not certain where the arpeggios surface.

I would love to hear/see the parts that you play EscapeRocks! I am sure others would too.. There are several postings of the piano part, and maybe even a couple that are right. I haven't seen any for the synth parts.

I have tried to play the left hand in octaves. I am not very comfortable with that. It sounds pretty choppy atm. However it's much fuller...

You guys all rock!

Peter

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Thanks again!

I would love to hear/see the parts that you play EscapeRocks! I am sure others would too..

I have tried to play the left hand in octaves. I am not very comfortable with that. It sounds pretty choppy atm.

Yeah! I look forward to hearing the parts played. We just starting playing this song. I have been covering guitar parts starting at the chorus. The synth is very difficult to pick out and there are a number of guitar parts that can't all be played by one guitarist that is singing.

As far as the octaves being choppy. cheat...layer it

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Here is the studio keyboard part mostly isolated. The Piano completely drops out after 1:25 which I never noticed before and the guitar pretty much carries the song with some Synth accompaniment:

[video:youtube]

Jonathan backing a vocalist on solo Piano:

Also check out Neal Schon showing how he plays the guitar part:

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Wow! That isolated track would have been SO MUCH easier to learn from. I have already spotted quite a few subtle errors in my parts.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Thank you for posting that Shamanzarek!!

It confirms that I am playing what he plays.. yay!! :)

The only difference is I hear him using a more synthbrassy sound these days from his Jupiter 80.

Other than that, that's what I am doing.

Peter (Phred) there's you answer!

:2thu:

David

SO cool to have an isolated track like that - belongs in my now forgotten "You're Playing It Wrong" thread!

:-)

Escape Rocks/David: The only difference I hear from what you wrote is on the last chord, Cain is moving from an A to a B and then back (and then down to an E) on that last A chord, not A to G#.

Nice discussion - helped me to correct a few small points. Thanks all!

Jerry

I know I will be playing this song differently starting this weekend. Our Bass player was complaining about me doubling the Bass in the left-hand. Now I will just switch to the Synth sound after the Piano drops out.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

SO cool to have an isolated track like that - belongs in my now forgotten "You're Playing It Wrong" thread!

Escape Rocks/David: The only difference I hear from what you wrote is on the last chord, Cain is moving from an A to a B and then back (and then down to an E) on that last A chord, not A to G#.

Jerry

Jerry, correct. As I said above I wasn't sitting at a piano and forgot what I played there. ;)

David

Heh, I've been playing it wrong all this time.

Yet for some strange and unknown reason the dance floor still fills as soon as I strike the first chord - it's as if the crowd don't actually care about half a beat in a left hand bass line!

It's so well ingrained within my muscle memory now that I can't see myself changing it within the next two years. I had no idea the rhythm changed during the verse either, though I haven't listened to the song in half a decade. When I first started learning songs for the band years ago I used to learn them an hour before rehearsal. Blame younger me.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Jerry

Jerry, correct. As I said above I wasn't sitting at a piano and forgot what I played there. ;)

All good! :wave:

That video pretty well confirmed I've been doing it right, right down to the synth sound with a few slight alterations in voicing. One part I missed on the piano is hitting the left hand in time with the drum hits at the end of the guitar riff. I always just kind of played straight through the same as the other times.

Incidentally, I've always used a snappy synth brass layered with a bright synth strings, dating back to the Alesis fusion days...except back then, it was too bright and snappy for the verses compared to the bridge I'd guess or is it the chorus? So on the Fusion I had a few different layers with a button assigned to toggle. On the Kronos I managed to make the same layer work throughout, and listening to the isolated track, it sounds really close.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Are we sure that's the isolated studio tracks of Jonathan Cain? It seems implied by the comments of the vid that it was recorded by the guy who posted the vid...great work, indeed...but I'm not sure it's Cain's tracks isolated from Escape.

The poster said, "Inspiração do Meu Dia A Dia Jonathan Cain Mestre \m/" -- "Inspiration of my Day, Jonathan Cain, Master" (I think).

It sure sounds like Steve Perry at the end, but it's hard to say since there are other vox too.

These tracks turn up like this from time-to-time because of Rock Band / Guitar Hero. People have figured out how to extract them from the games. The game consoles can only play so many tracks at a time, so there are more bounces than there would be on studio tape. His YouTube account also has a lot of Guitar Hero content, including isolated tracks from other songs.

I haven't listened to them side by side, but my recollection is that the studio recording has more brassy strings and I'm hearing distortion on the keys shortly after the guitar comes in. So there is that. (Maybe Neil Shoen also plays the string shots, making them sound different?)

But the poster's YouTube

(Maybe Neil Shoen also plays the string shots, making them sound different?)

Well he did record that after buying a Camero.

Schon>Shoen = Camaro>Camero ;)

LOL...please take this in the spirit I mean it. It's early (for me) and haven't had my caffeine yet. So what I just wrote is meant to be funny...not a dig at you at all :)

David

Are we sure that's the isolated studio tracks of Jonathan Cain? It seems implied by the comments of the vid that it was recorded by the guy who posted the vid...great work, indeed...but I'm not sure it's Cain's tracks isolated from Escape.

I don't think it is Jonathan, but is is the proper notes, etc...

David

What the hell. I don't know how this happened, but Jonathan is a pretty nice guy.

I can't hear any reason to think it's not the original. The poster has a handful of other by other artists up, and he claims that they are originals too. I noticed that both have the bass movement between "smokey room" and "smell of wine" at 1:10 played on the "and" rather on the "one" (in contrast to what was summarized above. So maybe it is more random. It's wonderful to have other people trying to figure this piece out during the same week that I am.

What the hell. I don't know how this happened, but Jonathan is a pretty nice guy.

yes he is. Further, speaking with Steve Augeri on the awesome day I got to spend with he and his band a couple years ago:

Jonathan was and is the impetus behind their charitable side. Things like the Journey Children's foundation, helping the Make-A-Wish foundation, an other things are what Jon is about.

He truly cares about kids.

The above came from Mr. Augeri when we were having lunch at the venue he was playing that evening. i told him I really liked his work with Journey, and really appreciated how nice everyone was when I had the chance to meet them years before.

Steve said, "that all comes from Jonathan...nicest man in the business..." and then he explained the above.

David

.....On the A I hear a b-a-g# single note walk down (although that's from memory).

This little lick/run is what I have a hard time hearing. I think it's more than three notes?

What say ye?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I also had the pleasure of meeting Jonathan several years ago when he returned to his high school in Chicago for a one-man benefit concert. I was struck by how personable, grounded, yet confident he was. He brought the high school choir on stage for a couple of numbers, which was very cool. He also brought his full Journey keyboard rig to the show, including "The Whale." His keyboard tech was nice enough to share how Jonathan's piano sound was accomplished at that time which was part Yamaha grand, part Kurzweil piano module, and part Yamaha Motif module.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The "Whale" now lives in restful conditions at his winery in northern California.

The beautiful Fazioli is in his studio in Nashville (Addiction Studios).

He tours with the Roland V grand, Jupiter 80, etc.. now..

I never knew if he used the same system on the Fazioli that he had on the big Yamaha for MIDI... I think it was a Buchla Midi Bar (?) to drive the rack modules

Nice work, if you can get it. LOL ;)

David

I saw the Jonathan Cain Band at the Handlebar Saloon in Santa Ana, CA back in 1976. Jon was the frontman, lead vocalist, and keyboardist in the band. His gear was a Wurlitzer EP with an ARP Odyssey strapped around his neck. He was doing mostly then current covers and I particularly remember him singing "Rhiannon". At the time he was signed to Bearsville Records. Here is his rendition of "Go Now" from his Bearsville album Windy City Breakdown.

nice ... Jonathan Cain is truly a class act ... I didn't know much about him other than the music until this thread and some of the vids from WesG and EscapeRocks ... thanks for posting that ... very cool ...

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

Archived