Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp shopping

Dannyalcatraz

I'm always making noises about wanting other combo amps- at least one to complement my Fender HRD combo and play heavier music and maybe one other to replace it. So I'm always shopping.

Every once in a while, I find deals, and I just found a couple more: anyone have any experience with Carvin XV112 or X100B amps?

Full disclosure- not buying right now, just shopping. Going on an unscheduled trip, so I can't indulge myself. But who knows, if I get lucky and the deals are still there when I get back...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have lots of Carvin PA equipment with which I'm well satisfied. I've never owned one of their amps, but they are a good company to do business with. Caevan brags about his little Carvin amp all the time, so hope he'll chime in for you DannyA...Good Hunting! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

+1 on Carvin.

I would also encourage you to check out the Egnator Rebel 30. Lots of tone options. You can pick them up used in the $350 -$400 range.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Well, I know the current Carvin vintage amps, but these date back to a time before I played electrics. I understand guys like Vai and Zappa used them, but since they're older amps- and Carvins to boot- trying before I buy is next to impossible.

So I was hoping for some veteran wisdom...

I like what I'm hearing from you guys so far, though. Thanks!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'd have to know a little more about your intended use, approach, style(s), wants and needs to say much of any value here.

I eventually found the Carvin Vintage 33 to suit me VERY well for my "play the amp" approach via my guitar's volume-controls and my "touch", once I struck upon the best way to set its controls to suit that and my guitar, pickups, pedals, etc; to the point that I could have gotten by very happily had it only had the "Soak" (overdrive/distortion) Channel. (Putting in good tubes hand-tested and selected by Myles Rose and, later, Doug at Doug's Tubes, helped tremendously here, as well; the Matched/Balanced Phase-Inverter and Matched Output-Tubes were like a "new amp" improvement.) The other Carvin amps mentioned above either not so much, or I haven't gotten to try them much or at all. "YMMV".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I remember those. They are OK. They came in both 6L6 and EL34 flavors. Stock speaker was either a EVM12 or a Celestion. I prefered the Celestion.

They would run in 50 and 25 watt mode. I don't remember if the XV112 had this or not but Carvin had a 6 db lead boost button but that may have just been the X100.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived