Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Senri Kawaguchi - Japanese girl group

Jazz+

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, there's so much my opinionated self is considering to say. Here's a few takeaways.

- Sheet music from such accomplished players?

- Does someone have a Japanese fetish?

- Instruments used for such a straight ahead jazz song? the pianist playing that two manual thing?

- Are they trying to create a new genre?

and...Thank G they don't look certifiably happy!

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

16251, looks like a Yamaha D-Deck.

Not sure why she switched to the upper manual for the solo when the lower manual was also assigned to the same piano sound. Perhaps just for the cameraman to get a better shot of her hands.

The sheetmusic suggests to me that this band plays the piece (including solos) exactly the same every time.

As you say, very accomplished musicians, but they kinda look like they're playing back a MIDI file, if that makes any sense.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I couldn't really get my head around this:

- Yes great musicians, if lacking a bit in soul/personality

- The "look" and styling is trying to suggest something new and radical, but I'm not hearing new in the music. It's straight-ahead jazz, with a MORE/FASTER/LOUDER vibe.

- And although it's a jazz piece, it's a rock mix.

Cheers, Mike.

Exactly. Technically proficient, no feel.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

These young girls are rock fusion shredders, you can easily tell by their appearance. They are like trained athletes. They are simply doing a corny old jazz cover as a novelty piece, a terrible choice of song by the way. They are not trying to be jazz players, that is not there interest. And no they are not written solos.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

The drummer (age 17) IS very good by the way and causing quite a stir in the drum world. Many drummers are impressed by her skill. The rest of the players in the other clip not so much, they are not actually a band, just hired guns for the session. [video:youtube]

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Definitely a pick up band, you can tell they haven't played together long.

The girl on the drums, she's been at it a long time. Endorsements and exhibitions since a little girl. Her father is also a drummer.

Maybe better to listen to the audio track without watching the video. The wardrobe and fashion is really distracting. In this case, hard not to judge the book by its cover. In doing so, I felt they demolished the song. Way over played, definitely an exhibition in fusion chops, jazz form is being used but it's not very jazzy - at least stylistically.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived