Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THIS oughtta just PISS YOU OFF

From CNET comes the news that you might not even be able to copy your own CD's for use in the car, etc. if the RIAA has their way. (Yes, this is the same SunnComm of the "shift" key hack )

Article follows:

CD copy protection company SunnComm Technologies said Wednesday said it has agreed to buy another firm to help move music antipiracy efforts to a new level.

The company has struck an agreement to purchase the United Kingdom-based Darknoise Technologies, which claims to have technology that can guard against people copying CDs in even the most old-fashioned ways.

Unlike existing CD copy protection, which tries to make CD music files invisible or unreadable to computers and other copiers, Darknoise actually modifies the audio of the songs slightly. If those songs are then copied--even by holding a tape recorder in front of a stereo speaker--the formerly inaudible Darknoise addition becomes audible and makes the copy unlistenable, the company claims.

"This stuff works," SunnComm Chief Executive Officer Peter Jacobs said. "The science is real. You can't hear it when (a piece of music) is being used properly, and you can do nothing but hear it when a song is copied improperly."

If the Darknoise technology holds up to continued testing, it could be a substantial development in the ongoing technological arms race between would-be music copiers and record labels eager to reduce or eliminate unauthorized copying.

SunnComm and rival Macrovision already create technology that interferes with the ability to make identical digital copies of files on a CD or turn them into compressed digital files such as MP3s. However, the anticopying technology has more difficulty with nondigital copies.

Today, that means that even a protected CD can be copied simply by intercepting the audio signal on the way to the speakers and rerouting it to a recording device. This loophole in digital copy protection is often known as the "analog hole."

The Darknoise technology is in some ways analogous to the ubiquitous videotape copy protection Macrovision created, which is effectively mandated by copyright law in the United States. In that tool, the video is slightly modified so that anyone trying to make direct VCR-to-VCR copies winds up with unusable copies.

The company says Darknoise's technology functions no matter how the music file is being copied, however. That ranges from trying to "rip" an MP3 song from a CD to trying to record a song off the radio. Any of those examples, if used on a song with the Darknoise audio technology applied, would result in an unusable copy, the company says.

Several U.S. record executives said they were not familiar with the technology. Jacobs said he plans to show it later this week to executives at Bertelsmann music unit BMG, which currently uses SunnComm's older copy protection technology.

BMG's first test of SunnComm's antipiracy tools ran into controversy after a Princeton graduate student showed how to evade them by simply pressing a computer's Shift key. SunnComm threatened to sue the student but later retracted the threat, saying the revelation had been expected and did not undermine the company's technology.

Read more about how this technology (may) work

here http://www.darknoisetechnologies.com/technology.htm

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I call bullshit. They may be able to screw up ripping with this stuff by confusing codecs, but if it's coming out clean from an analog medium then there's no way they can magically 'spoil' it if it's recorded from that source. And - I'd like to know hot their "sentinel" spikes that are supposedly embedded in the signal would survive being passed through the brickwall limiting that all broadcasters employ, without messing up the program?

Hmmm ... no copying of a CD or DVD that I have purchased.

Well I occasionly (he he, rarely I guess) make 'best of' compilations of my CDs or DVDs.

I do copy great sounding tracks into my PC to use as mixing/mastering reference material so there's the loss of revenue there I guess.

OK - I 'll take the challange - I'll probably buy one and try a brickwall or try noise reduction (using a noise print) on the inaudible protection spikes - greater than 22K I'm guessing for a CD. Wonder what the little demons look like on a DVD ?

That's for the wave ripping. MP3s might be a little trickier...

He He

The only way to effectively do this would be through encoding/decoding strictly through a licensed hardware device....no device and you get white noise, device plugged in and you get music.

I think they are grabbing at straws...all they need to do is to look at what made them money for years and years and return to that philosophy...and dump all the MBA's, CPA's,etc.

Lower prices and better music choices and a return to live music would certainly put them on the road to recovery :)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Funny though, in Australia you are legally allowed to make one copy of any software (including CD-Audio as far as I know) for backup purposes. Does this remove my right to do this?

Oh and by the way, I have to echo and also call bullshit!

Originally posted by where02190:

A 12 yr old from the midwest has already cracked this stuff I'm sure.

No shit!

I dont think Steve Jobs will be too happy about this. It will surely put a damper on his iPod sales.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived