Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Collaboration on Skype What Audio Equipment?

Lindaru

My current comedy partner wants us to begin doing songs together and we do all of our recording together over Skype.

For straight voice, it has been okay because I can separate my part and put it on a separate track with amplification after he sends me the files.

Now I need to play keys while he sings (I cannot just send him a music file to record himself singing to and then send it back so I can piece it together later). He wants us to do this simultaneously, but his recording of my sound with music is going to sound like a sixties transister A.M. radio.

He currently uses Audacity and I Skype to him via a Logitech C-510 web cam microphone.

We need to stay reasonably priced on this, so would a better microphone on my end work better for recording over Skype on his end? Is there a better program than Audacity for him to record me from his speakers?

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're going to find this very challenging, no matter what gear you use. The latency (delay) introduced by Skype will likely make live accompaniment impossible. I'd love it if someone proves me wrong, but I'll also be very surprised.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I'd be interested to know why you can't do this separately, but now have to play together?

Skype isn't meant for this sort of thing, but Cubase Pro 8 has functionality to do exactly this. Sure, it's not "reasonably priced" I'm sure, but it's built for exactly this...

Cubase Pro 8 VST Connect.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that trying to do this (record simultaneously live) on the cheap is going to be immensely frustrating. YMMV.

I'd be interested to know why you can't do this separately, but now have to play together?

Skype isn't meant for this sort of thing, but Cubase Pro 8 has functionality to do exactly this. Sure, it's not "reasonably priced" I'm sure, but it's built for exactly this...

Cubase Pro 8 VST Connect.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that trying to do this (record simultaneously live) on the cheap is going to be immensely frustrating. YMMV.

Thank you! I have book-marked this and will send it on to my comedy/music partner. I agree that I would much prefer we record separately and let me do the sound production on my end as that is what I have done with other long distance projects.

Perhaps he will decide to just do it that way anyway.

Yes, even jam sessions on Skype come off a bit flaky as I used to do those with some folks in Canada.

Thanks again!

:)

Archived