Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Collecting rack versions

Bachus

Yesterday i got my hands on a 19" rack containing :

- Ensoniq ESQ-M

- Kawai K5000r

- Wladorf Pulse

- Oberheim Matrix 1000

- Nord Modular G2 rack

i payed 1100 euros, they are all working and in acceptable condition.

I just love collecting racks these days, because they are mostly a save investment if you buy them cheap (financially) and they offer a lot of fun..

I allready owned..

- Roland integra 7

- Roland V- synth XT

- Yamaha EX5r

- Yamaha FS1r

- Yamaha Motif XS rack

- Technics WSA1 rack

- Access Virus TI2 desktop rackmount

I was actually considering to buy the Roland Aira System 1m, but could not resist this offer.. this offers me months of fun discovering all the options and possibilities.. wll, i do need a new midi interface.. but then i will get all of it connected trough my Mac.. and playable and controllable from my keys..

Anyone else collecting synth racks?

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argh, don't tempt me! I love my racks too, downsized to just an XV-5080 recently but feeling the GAS now.

I quite fancy an Emu Morpheus, but they're like hen's teeth. A JD-990 and TX-802 would be fun too. And a System 1m. And a Supernova. And a Microwave. And then even more MIDI/audio interfaces to handle them!

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

In my racks there are:

Roland U220

Roland D110

Roland D550 w/ Musitronics memory/multi-mode exp. & speed kit

Korg M1Rex w/ Brass PCM card set

Korg Wavestation SR

Korg SG Rack

Yamaha TG500

Yamaha TG77

Yamaha TX816

Oberheim DPX-1 (x2) w/ EMU/Northstar EII UoS library

EMU E64 w/ almost complete EMax/ EIII/ EIV/ EMU Proteus library

AKAI S-1000 (8MB)- SCSI

AKAI S-1100 (32MB) (x2)- SCSI, CD-DAT, AES/EBU interfaces

several 1 & 2 HU Synthax, Syntec & Hybrid Arts syndrives incl. MOD, CD-ROM, HDD and removable media.

A.C.

Racks and tabletops...

I buy them because if I want to sell they are much easier to ship than a keyboard, but I end up hanging on to many of them.

Currently in my racks...

Emu Ultra Proteus

Emu Morpheus

Emu Proteus 2000

Emu Turbo Phat

Emu XL Turbo

Emu Vintage Pro

Emu Virtuoso 2000

Emu XL7

Emu MP7

Korg Wavestation SR

Korg M3M

Roland XV-5080

Roland Integra 7

Roland V-Synth XT

Yamaha A-5000

Plus a bunch of beat boxes. I often think about selling off the Emu's, but then I start thinking of units I wish I had held onto. Yamaha FS2r and Ensoniq MR with expansions are at the top of my "regret selling" list. Oh, and the Yamaha DX200 and AN200. I wish I had kept those boxes.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I kind of like racks too (take that any way you like...haha). I just bought an Integra-7 and would love to add the Motif Rack XS and a Wavestation SR. Gone are the days of having 9 keyboards sitting around and racks are the perfect alternative if you want a lot of sounds but don't want to take up a lot of space.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I've owned:

Oberheim Matrix 1000 (x2)

Jd990

JV1080

JV3080

D550

MKS20

M1r

O3rw

M3r

Trinity

WavestationSR

Muse Receptor

Receptor 2ProMax

Motif (classic)

Kurzweil MicroPiano

Studio Electronics SE-1

I know there were more but.....

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I've owned an insane amount of gear, and quite a few rack/tabletop pieces in the day. It was fun knowing that when it was time to retire a live rig keyboard for something new/different, it was a given that the keyboard could be picked up in its rack version for the studio or larger, live rigs. But that was the 90's; now we can create our 'phone booth' racks virtually :D.

Sometimes I get tempted by vintage modules, but it's been a few years since I've given in. Right now I have the following:

Muse Receptor Trio

Roland XV-5080

Alesis QSR

Yamaha TX-1P

Access Snow Ti

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I've owned an insane amount of gear, and quite a few rack/tabletop pieces in the day. It was fun knowing that when it was time to retire a live rig keyboard for something new/different, it was a given that the keyboard could be picked up in its rack version for the studio or larger, live rigs. But that was the 90's; now we can create our 'phone booth' racks virtually :D.

Sometimes I get tempted by vintage modules, but it's been a few years since I've given in. Right now I have the following:

Muse Receptor Trio

Roland XV-5080

Alesis QSR

Yamaha TX-1P

Access Snow Ti

I still dont see the use of a muse receptor, above my macbook (live, logic/mainstage) combined with touchscreen... Its the core of my setup... Is there any friendly onstage user interface for muse receptor that i dont know about?

Get a wireless router and do this.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

"changing patches on the fly" @ at approx. 3:57 and subsequent footage.

I got a kick out of that.

Cool idea, at least conceptually.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I was a module whore for many years, as well. Most recently, I gigged with a rack that contained:

Korg TR-Rack

Yamaha Motif Rack ES

Roland D-550

In another previous rig, I used a GEM RP-X with my Nord Stage (classic) for a few years until Nord got their piano situation together.

I've been sans modules/rack for two years now, and it has largely been a liberating experience. However, I recently picked up a Nord Lead A1R, which I really dig, but haven't decided if I want to deal with it live. It's so nice to have everything self-contained in just two keyboards.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

That interface works horrible for a touchinterface... The ioad is just to small for working with those long listings

Archived