Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mmmm. beef boullion....mmmm

well i am finally eating again. i ate tuesday, but not since. havent been hungry. got pretty dehydrated thursday, nothing stayed down not even water.

went to see the doctor as my wheezing and total discomfort (can hardly breathe) was getting bad. put me on prednesone (steroids).

these things hurt my stomach so bad i had to do something. so i tried some boullon. OH MAN THATS GOOD STUFF. specially when ya havent ate in two and a half days.

got me a cup right now, man sometimes food is better than sex.

next, i'll see if i can work my way up to ramen noodles...maybe tomorrow.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Coaster:

well i am finally eating again. i ate tuesday, but not since. havent been hungry. got pretty dehydrated thursday, nothing stayed down not even water.

went to see the doctor as my wheezing and total discomfort (can hardly breathe) was getting bad. put me on prednesone (steroids).

these things hurt my stomach so bad i had to do something. so i tried some boullon. OH MAN THATS GOOD STUFF. specially when ya havent ate in two and a half days.

got me a cup right now, man sometimes food is better than sex.

next, i'll see if i can work my way up to ramen noodles...maybe tomorrow.

Good to hear you're doing better.

What's the dosage and frequency on the Prednisone?

I was on that for awhile after my stem cell transplant & it's some nasty shit. It will will act as somewhat of an upper but will also lower your tolerance for stress. I chaned to methylprednisilone and it's a bit better in my case, stemming the return of the Multiple Myeloma.

Something to read and think about. Get off it as soon as you can. I boldened the areas I'd be concerned with if I were you. Of course most is predicated on long term usage but can manifest sooner.

"Prednisone tablets contain prednisone which is a glucocorticoid. Glucocorticoids are adrenocortical steroids, both naturally occurring and synthetic, which are readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.

Naturally occurring glucocorticoids (hydrocortisone and cortisone), which also have salt-retaining properties, are used as replacement therapy in adrenocortical deficiency states. Their synthetic analogs are primarily used for their potent anti-inflammatory effects in disorders of many organ systems.

Glucocorticoids cause profound and varied metabolic effects. In addition, they modify the body's immune responses to diverse stimuli.

Prednisone tablets are indicated in the following conditions: Respiratory Diseases: Symptomatic sarcoidosis; Loeffler's syndrome not manageable by other means; Berylliosis; Fulminating or disseminated pulmonary tuberculosis when used concurrently with appropriate antituberculous chemotherapy; Aspiration pneumonitis

Contraindications:

Systemic fungal infections and known hypersensitivity to components.

Warnings:

In patients on corticosteroid therapy subjected to unusual stress, increased dosage of rapidly acting corticosteroids before, during, and after the stressful situation is indicated.

Corticosteroids may mask some signs of infection, and new infections may appear during their use. Infections with any pathogen including viral, bacterial, fungal, protozoan or helminthic infections, in any location of the body, may be associated with the use of corticosteroids alone or in combination with other immunosuppressive agents that affect cellular immunity, humoral immunity, or neutrophil function.

1 These infections may be mild, but can be severe and at times fatal. With increasing doses of corticosteroids, the rate of occurrence of infectious complications increases.

2 There may be decreased resistance and inability to localize infection when corticosteroids are used.

Prolonged use of corticosteroids may produce posterior subcapsular cataracts, glaucoma with possible damage to the optic nerves, and may enhance the establishment of secondary ocular infections due to fungi or viruses.

Usage in pregnancy: Since adequate human reproduction studies have not been done with corticosteroids, the use of these drugs in pregnancy, nursing mothers or women of childbearing potential requires that the possible benefits of the drug be weighed against the potential hazards to the mother and embryo or fetus. Infants born of mothers who have received substantial doses of corticosteroids during pregnancy, should be carefully observed for signs of hypoadrenalism.

Average and large doses of hydrocortisone or cortisone can cause elevation of blood pressure, salt and water retention, and increased excretion of potassium. These effects are less likely to occur with the synthetic derivatives except when used in large doses. Dietary salt restriction and potassium supplementation may be necessary. All corticosteroids increase calcium excretion.

Administration of live or live, attenuated vaccines is contraindicated in patients receiving immunosuppressive doses of corticosteroids. Killed or inactivated vaccines may be administered to patients receiving immunosuppressive doses of corticosteroids; however, the response to such vaccines may be diminished. Indicated immunization procedures may be undertaken in patients receiving nonimmunosuppressive doses of corticosteroids.

Persons who are on drugs which suppress the immune system are more susceptible to infections than healthy individuals. Chicken pox and measles, for example, can have a more serious or even fatal course in non-immune children or adults on corticosteroids. In such children or adults who have not had these diseases, particular care should be taken to avoid exposure. How the dose, route and duration of corticosteroid administration affects the risk of developing a disseminated infection is not known. The contribution of the underlying disease and/or prior corticosteroid treatment to the risk is also not known. If exposed to chicken pox, prophylaxis with varicella zoster immune globulin (VZIG) may be indicated. If exposed to measles, prophylaxis with pooled intramuscular immunoglobulin (IG) may be indicated. (See the respective package inserts for complete VZIG and IG prescribing information.) If chicken pox develops, treatment with antiviral agents may be considered.

Precautions:

Information for the Patient

Persons who are on immunosuppressant doses of corticosteroids should be warned to avoid exposure to chicken pox or measles. Patients should also be advised that if they are exposed, medical advice should be sought without delay.

General Precautions

Drug-induced secondary adrenocortical insufficiency may be minimized by gradual reduction of dosage. This type of relative insufficiency may persist for months after discontinuation of therapy; therefore, in any situation of stress occurring during that period, hormone therapy should be reinstituted. Since mineralocorticoid secretion may be impaired, salt and/or a mineralocorticoid should be administered concurrently.

There is an enhanced effect of corticosteroids on patients with hypothyroidism and in those with cirrhosis.

Corticosteroids should be used cautiously in patients with ocular herpes simplex because of possible corneal perforation.

The lowest possible dose of corticosteroid should be used to control the condition under treatment, and when reduction in dosage is possible, the reduction should be gradual.

Psychic derangements may appear when corticosteroids are used, ranging from euphoria, insomnia, mood swings, personality changes, and severe depression, to frank psychotic manifestations. Also, existing emotional instability or psychotic tendencies may be aggravated by corticosteroids.

Steroids should be used with caution in nonspecific ulcerative colitis, if there is a probability of impending perforation, abscess or other pyogenic infection; diverticulitis; fresh intestinal anastomoses; active or latent peptic ulcer; renal insufficiency; hypertension; osteoporosis; and myasthenia gravis.

Growth and development of infants and children on prolonged corticosteroid therapy should be carefully observed.

Kaposi's sarcoma has been reported to occur in patients receiving corticosteroid therapy. Discontinuation of corticosteroids may result in clinical remission.

Although controlled clinical trials have shown corticosteroids to be effective in speeding the resolution of acute exacerbations of multiple sclerosis, they do not show that corticosteroids affect the ultimate outcome or natural history of the disease. The studies do show that relatively high doses of corticosteroids are necessary to demonstrate a significant effect.

Since complications of treatment with glucocorticoids are dependent on the size of the dose and the duration of treatment, a risk/benefit decision must be made in each individual case as to dose and duration of treatment and as to whether daily or intermittent therapy should be used.

Convulsions have been reported with concurrent use of methylprednisolone and cyclosporin. Since concurrent use of these agents results in a mutual inhibition of metabolism, it is possible that adverse events associated with the individual use of either drug may be more apt to occur.

Drug Interactions:

The pharmacokinetic interactions listed below are potentially clinically important. Drugs that induce hepatic enzymes such as phenobarbital, phenytoin and rifampin may increase the clearance of corticosteroids and may require increases in corticosteroid dose to achieve the desired response. Drugs such as troleandomycin and ketoconazole may inhibit the metabolism of corticosteroids and thus decrease their clearance. Therefore, the dose of corticosteroid should be titrated to avoid steroid toxicity. Corticosteroids may increase the clearance of chronic high dose aspirin. This could lead to decreased salicylate serum levels or increase the risk of salicylate toxicity when corticosteroid is withdrawn. Aspirin should be used cautiously in conjunction with corticosteroids in patients suffering from hypoprothrombinemia. The effect of corticosteroids on oral anticoagulants is variable. There are reports of enhanced as well as diminished effects of anticoagulants when given concurrently with corticosteroids. Therefore, coagulation indices should be monitored to maintain the desired anticoagulant effect.

Adverse Reactions:

Fluid and Electrolyte Disturbances: Sodium retention; Fluid retention; Congestive heart failure in susceptible patients; Potassium loss; Hypokalemic alkalosis; Hypertension

Musculoskeletal: Muscle weakness; Steroid myopathy; Loss of muscle mass; Osteoporosis; Tendon rupture, particularly of the Achilles tendon; Vertebral compression fractures; Aseptic necrosis of femoral and humeral heads; Pathologic fracture of long bones

Gastrointestinal: Peptic ulcer with possible perforation and hemorrhage; Pancreatitis; Abdominal distention; Ulcerative esophagitis

Increases in alanine transaminase (ALT, SGPT), aspartate transaminase (AST, SGOT) and alkaline phosphatase have been observed following corticosteroid treatment. These changes are usually small, not associated with any clinical syndrome and are reversible upon discontinuation.

Dermatologic: Impaired wound healing; Thin fragile skin; Petechiae and ecchymoses; Facial erythema; Increased sweating; May suppress reactions to skin tests

Metabolic: Negative nitrogen balance due to protein catabolism

Neurological: Increased intracranial pressure with papilledema (pseudo-tumor cerebri) usually after treatment; Convulsions; Vertigo; Headache

Endocrine: Menstrual irregularities; Development of Cushingoid state; Secondary adrenocortical and pituitary unresponsiveness, particularly in times of stress, as in trauma, surgery or illness; Suppression of growth in children; Decreased carbohydrate tolerance; Manifestations of latent diabetes mellitus; Increased requirements for insulin or oral hypoglycemic agents in diabetics

Ophthalmic: Posterior subcapsular cataracts; Increased intraocular pressure; Glaucoma; Exophthalmos

Metabloic: Negative nitrogen balance due to protein catabolism.

Additional Reactions: Urticaria and other allergic, anaphylactic or hypersensitivity reactions."

As you can see, it's some nasty shit, even though it also does wonerful things. Just be aware and know your body and how it is reacting to the steroid.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Coaster I think we've told you this before but you need to get out of North Dakota. What the fuck are you doing there? You've got a degree in music, you're very talented, you could kick ass in Southern California, or somewhere else.

I've got this walk in closet I'll rent you some space in for $250.00 dollars, there is a family in there too, but I think you'd get along with them alright.

Archived