Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upcomming Montage

Bachus

So when would you guess we will see the upcomming Motif replacement called Montage?

And will we see anything of the reface surface in the montage?

Or was the Reface actually a spinnoff of the current montage development?

They could even be after the Kronos with CS, YC, CP, DX, AN, AP, VL, VP, SA2, AWM3 engines

And how will they further develop ARPs ? Will they add Native Karma? Or will they abbandon that direction with the namechange?

Will they also add a touchscreen?

Will there be more controllers then the 9 sliders and 8 knobs?

So many questions, and no answers..

Might Yamaha actually surprise us for the first time this century?

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when would you guess we will see the upcomming Motif replacement called Montage?

last week you were certain the Montage would be announced between July NAMM and January NAMM ( 2016)

Did your secret sources let you down ? ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

last week you were certain the Montage would be announced between July NAMM and January NAMM ( 2016)

No secret sources, just my intuition...

No secret sources, just my intuition...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/fox/soundofmusic/SOM1_L.jpg

[70's Songwriter]

Maybe they will just build a high level computer in a keyboard, include cubase inside and build an ipad like touch ui with a touchscreen in it.. And add next to all thos yamaha synth engines all the Steinberg engines...

Sadly noboddy knows what Yamaha is doing, its remarkable how good these developers ( goes for Korg and Roland and all those others as well) are at keeping secrets...

But then, its the 21st century, wouldnt an open discusiion with your customers about future plans be much more honest?

Honest yes, but your competitors would then just come out with the same features at a lower price point. That's the reason for the secrecy.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Maybe they will just build a high level computer in a keyboard, include cubase inside and build an ipad like touch ui with a touchscreen in it.. And add next to all thos yamaha synth engines all the Steinberg engines...

Sadly noboddy knows what Yamaha is doing, its remarkable how good these developers ( goes for Korg and Roland and all those others as well) are at keeping secrets...

But then, its the 21st century, wouldnt an open discusiion with your customers about future plans be much more honest?

Companies like IBM, Microsoft and Oracle do have discussions with large corporate customers about future products all the time. These are under NDA, so keep your mouth shut if you want to continue with this special relationship. Large in the case of Microsoft might be 50,000 desktops. It makes no sense to have these with individuals. Then use the Apple approach, i.e. big product announcements and hype.

Look at it this way, Yamaha just gave you all the info about their future plans with the Reface. It won't be out for months. You have plenty of time to decide if it's something you want and can set aside the $$$s.

Busch.

I was watching some videos with Toshifumi Kunimoto about digitizing well known equalizers and compressors. A simple concept in the area of the meaning of montage as in editing could be a system that can deal with various tracks of music being processed, while allowing editing, which comes out properly as a produced whole. I don't know about Yamaha's marketing ideas, I'm just guessing.

T

Honest yes, but your competitors would then just come out with the same features at a lower price point. That's the reason for the secrecy.

Almost all cos with some type of tech do their new product market research on the down low. They also do ' blind tests '. Roll out early prototypes with all labels and associations completely removed and have a small group of users evaluate the protos.

This is not done at Yamaha or Korg of course. Its done in some obscure music lab or office and managed by a 3rd party.

I cos did this 'openly ', social media would have a field day/shit storm. It would be comedy time, esp if the company did not deliver on the ' promises '.

Seems obvious to me, anyway

[70's Songwriter]

Almost all cos with some type of tech do their new product market research on the down low. They also do ' blind tests '. Roll out early prototypes with all labels and associations completely removed and have a small group of users evaluate the protos.

This is not done at Yamaha or Korg of course. Its done in some obscure music lab or office and managed by a 3rd party.

I cos did this 'openly ', social media would have a field day/shit storm. It would be comedy time, esp if the company did not deliver on the ' promises '.

There is a huge difference between discussing things, and making promisses....

But then, the assumption that when something is discussed means it will be part of a future release often leads to dissapointments..

Yamaha is dead. My Kronos killed it. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There is a huge difference between discussing things, and making promisses....

But then, the assumption that when something is discussed means it will be part of a future release often leads to dissapointments..

I guess my business sense and experience tells me to be careful about ' what is discussed '. A person can ' hear' something that sounds like a 'promise '. The large co or electronics co can make it( the future of a product , etc) as plain as day simple, that this is discussion only, but some will still put words in their mouth and run around with it.

This is why large cos are tight lipped about new products until they are ready and have NDA's, have legal staffs, etc, etc. Its the way that world works. There are reasons for it whether I agree or not.

[70's Songwriter]

Yamaha is dead. My Kronos killed it. :D

I will never own another Yamaha keyboard. Ever. Its yesterday. :)

[70's Songwriter]

Yamaha filed for the reface trademark in the US on 6/5/2014.

Somehow, they were able to effectively keep everyone in the dark about the product line until they felt like sharing it using only trust and NDAs.

They filed for Montage on 12/22/2014. One might guess that Yamaha is pretty corporate and procedural and are on some sort of a schedule. So, it's within the realm of possible (or not) that a product with the Montage name shows up at Winter NAMM 2016.

reface turns out to be exactly what the name suggests. They re-faced 4 of their instrument types into mini keyboards.

Montage is defined as, "the technique of producing a new composite whole from fragments of pictures, text, or music." So it is possible (or not) that perhaps the Montage is Yamaha's 4 instrument lines combined into a new complete instrument.

How's that for speculation, game theory, apophenia, conspiracy theories, etc?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If you really really just have to know what the Montage really is.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If you really really just have to know what the Montage really is.

[video:youtube]

Yes, i remember that one, early April... Very early April ..

Archived