Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording live guitar/vocal or piano/vocal for songwriter's use

For making "work" tapes for the songs I write, I am currently poor-boying it with my Audix OM-5 mic plugged into my el cheapo Sony cassette tape recorder. Works fine IF I luck into the right distance from me to the mic for either the guitar or vocal not to overpower the other. Is there a better way to just record the live sound so one doesn't overpower the other? Maybe I'd have to buy another mic (which really isn't an option since I might as well buy a better recording device). Also, I have a Yamaha PSR-740 keyboard. I can record whatever I do on the keyboard onto floppy but that's not what I need. I need it on tape. (Soon to be, CD, I hope. I hope to graduate up to using a computer to make my recordings.) What would be the best way (cheapest) to record my keyboard playing and vocals simultaneously? Sorry, I know about zero about recording.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your Sony records in stereo (I had one for several years that had an onboard stereo mic with a compressor that did a wonderful job), you could get an adapter to split R & L tracks, then add another mic. IMO, Microphones are something you can never overbuy. If you're trying to separate the guitar and voice, buy cardiod or supercardiod pattern mics for the best isolation.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

This Sony recorder is just a plain jane recorder for general business/home use. I've had it for years. Has one mic input, one for headphones, one remote input. Not sure what the remote input is for. I don't want to spend much money. I could buy a used 4-track tape recorder for $200.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived