Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thanks for you great articles Mr Anderton.Should I go to the Institute of Audio R.?

I'm always reading your articles not only at keyboard mag but in other publications.You ability demonstrate- how to do it- in such a great detail makes me pick up a guitar or the keyboard and spend hours doing what you just explained and I came out with great music.

I was wondering If a should got to the Institute of audio research here in NYC because I want to work in big studios.Since I don't have the cash to rent a place in manhattan to open up a studio.It's fine for me to work for somebody as a entry level engineer/ producer but I know most people start cleaning floors etc.What would you say? volunteer there working with no pay or go to school and get pay $7 an hour??

Also is anybody here that went to that school? please let me know your experiences.

My field is DJ/house /progressive/ and also rock and jazz.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been lurking but can't take it anymore, I have to bite....

Yes, this is my first official post on this forum!

I ALSO would like to know what you guys think of these "recording schools" such as Full Sail or MusicTech. I've been producing music at my home studio since Fall 2000. I started with Fruity Loops 3, M Audio Audiophile sound card, and a Shure PE56D dynamic mic. I've since spent every penny of spare financial aid money to upgrade/replace everything to better gear. I love this stuff and would love to get into the industry, but what is the best approach???

Thanks, E6

I am sorry to say I have no experience with audio schools. When I was coming up in this industry, it was a very different world, where you pretty much had to learn by experience (as I did). I am hoping that people from this board who have actually attended schools can give you some insights.

I have, however, done many lectures at schools. At the risk of generalizing, it seems they are good for teaching the techniques of making and recording music, but I don't know if that will help get you placed at a job. The best way to get placed is to write a hit single .

Originally posted by Anderton:

At the risk of generalizing, it seems they are good for teaching the techniques of making and recording music, but I don't know if that will help get you placed at a job.

Spot on Craig!

I went to the SAE in Glasgow and have visited their London & New York colleges. I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences there and would recommend them to others who have the right attitude.

Going to an audio school will not get you a job. Even after attending such a school you'll probably still be working endless hours at a studio for very little or no pay. If you are ready and willing to do this, you should be fine, but if you expect to walk into a well paid job you'll fail.

If you any specific questions please feel free to ask.

John Scott

Archived