Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord stage drawbars..

Bachus

Are there people that prefer the push buttons-redleds drawbars over normal drawbars or sliders? I have no experience with them?

On the electro 5 Nord added real drawbars to the watterfall keybeds, and these buttons-redleds drawbars to the 88 key weighted version. I dont see the philosofy behind this, cant see why someone would prefer these above mechanical drawbars, in my perfect world, they should have been motorfaders with a light indication bar..

(another stupid Nord question, why didnt they add the lovely screen of the Nord Electro 5 to the Stage 2 Ex?)

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably saving the screen for the nord stage 3 not the expanded 2.

I like the led draw bars with the buttons as I don't use organ that much and set them up and save before hand anyway and save other drawbar configuration as preset 2 so no need to mess with them

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

On the electro 5 Nord added real drawbars to the watterfall keybeds, and these buttons-redleds drawbars to the 88 key weighted version. I dont see the philosofy behind this, cant see why someone would prefer these above mechanical drawbars, in my perfect world, they should have been motorfaders with a light indication bar..

That's what the Kurzweil Forte does, I believe. Yes, the advantage of the LED method is that you can easily see what the drawbar settings for a preset are, and also easily manipulate them from the starting point of that particular preset. But for real time manipulation, overall, real drawbars/sliders are better. I imagine that Nord did what they did on the weighted 73 (not 88, there is no E5-88) for cost purposes, also figuring that anyone buying the "HP" version of the Electro is not a "serious" organ player anyway (since no such player would want to be playing organ from that action... though that doesn't account for people who might buy the HP with the intent of playing piano from its own action and triggering organ from a second attached controller).

(another stupid Nord question, why didnt they add the lovely screen of the Nord Electro 5 to the Stage 2 Ex?)

Stage 2 EX is to the Stage 2 as the Stage EX was to the original Stage, a relatively small upgrade that doesn't involve any major functionality difference or any front panel redesign (which is why these are marketed as basically EXpanded versions of their predecessor, rather than models with entirely new nomenclatues, i.e. Stage, Stage 2, and someday presumably, Stage 3). You couldn't just pop the new screen into the Stage 2... even that one feature change would require a panel redesign and also the development of the entire interface to display on that screen (which would need to be quite different from that on the Electro, because of how different the feature sets of the boards are).

One thing that is a little quirky about Nord is that, usually with most companies, the hot new features come to their high end boards first, and trickle down to the lower end boards, whereas Nord will sometimes introduce a major new feature in a lower end board and later bring it to the higher end. Before the Stage 2 came out, there were significant Electro 3 features that were not (yet) available in the flagship Stage line, and they have done the same thing again. It's probably just a byproduct of being a relatively small company who focuses development on one thing at a time, and whatever product that happens to be may have some features that "leapfrog" the last iteration of what would otherwise be the higher end model. But I imagine that within a year, two tops, we'll see a Stage with a full screen.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No Nord keyboards have drawbars.

If you dont look at the form, isnt the main difference between drawbars and sliders that drawbars have 0 on top and 127 at the bottom, and sliders have 0 at the bottom and 127 on top?

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

They are not drawbars. I'm sure the faders work fine.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

They feel differently. Drawbars on a console are made of metal shafts and can be flicked in and out with a finger. The faders are more damped and feel more plasticky.

The faders do function much better than the Nord LED pushbuttons.

Moe

---

Archived