Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Portable Organ Review - June 2015

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roland ATELIER Combo AT-350C

No longer available in the US. Dealers list them as discontinued.

Roland discontinued the whole ATELEIR range of instruments, from the Combo all the way up to their theatre otgans

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

The XK-1c is not a later version of the original XK-1 (which was more similar to the original XK-3 although not as large nor as heavy), but is a version of the SK-1 with only the organ sounds and no added sounds. It sounds considerably better than the original XK-1, and is smaller and lighter.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Ya, the XK-1 does look more like the XK-3 / 3c but regardless it isn't in production any longer so not on the 2015 list. The XK-1c (having more in common with the SK series as suggested) is, so it's on the list.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 3 months later...

Hammond is rebating $200 on the XK3c through the end of 2015. Warming up for the holiday season? Or clearing stock on a soon to be replaced model? ($2696 US).

I also saw muzikteechur aka Lonnie is selling his in the garage sale. He'll take $1800 for it.

I don't work for Hammond or a dealer and I don't know Lonnie personally. Just sharing good news for someone who might stumble on this organ review.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

HAMMOND / Suzuki... Take the hardware of the XK3c (with its superior user interface and keyboard), drop 10 lbs off of it, and insert the organ engine of the SK1...

There is your new organ!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

HAMMOND / Suzuki... Take the hardware of the XK3c (with its superior user interface and keyboard), drop 10 lbs off of it, and insert the organ engine of the SK1...

There is your new organ!

I have a nice XK1 that I think of selling but every time I look at it I love it even though my SK1 is better in every respect. It's the look and physical layout. An XK3c with the SK engine and a bit lighter? Hell yeah.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Yamaha reface Yc? (Oops didn't see this was posted already!)

Nord compact?

Still loving my Numa1 as a single keyboard, Mojo as 2 keyboard, and breaking in an hx3.

All great in their own right but the Numa sees the most gig action.

Maybe you should add the best one: Hammond Portable B3mk2. $24,995 (don't know if that's MAP or MSRP)

http://www.b3guys.com/images/product_imgs/40.jpg

Busch.

Busch a couple techs I know said this is not available. They lost money on them.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

My latest arrival:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/DMC-122_zpsges83bmk.jpeg

...with Gemini board, of course... :cool::thu:

First impressions - organ sounds just like the Mojo sitting right next to it. Keybed feels excellent...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

There are some great chop shops in Nashville.

Chopped B3s Chopped Leslie 147s (probably cause their wood)

Even have gig bags for local gigs.

I never understood a Hammond chop you don't save hardly any weight and it's a bad thing to do to an organ.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I never understood a Hammond chop you don't save hardly any weight and it's a bad thing to do to an organ.

I always thought it was so they would fit into the cargo hold of a tour bus, but maybe that's just a rumour. :idk

:nopity:

My latest arrival:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/DMC-122_zpsges83bmk.jpeg

...with Gemini board, of course... :cool::thu:

First impressions - organ sounds just like the Mojo sitting right next to it. Keybed feels excellent...

dB

Heading to Dave's on Sunday to try this baby out!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

There are some great chop shops in Nashville.

Chopped B3s Chopped Leslie 147s (probably cause their wood)

Even have gig bags for local gigs.

Doesn't save any weight? Are you kidding? My chop was a good 125 pounds lighter than my full console B3. If I recall the console weighs about 385 pounds and my chop was maybe 250. Now to this 70 year old, handling something like that is a distant memory but at the time me and one other guy could put it in the back seat of my '69 Riv.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I believe it knocks off about 70 lbs. If you have two people carrying it, the difference between about 300 lbs vs about 230 lbs (IIRC) can make a real difference, depedning on the individuals in question. There's also a difference in the ease with which it can be navigated up stairs, around corners, etc. As well as a possibility to fit it in a vehicle where a full size organ might not. Of course today, if any of that is a real issue, someone would probably buy a clonehweel anyway... but that wasn't much of an option 40 years ago.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

at the time me and one other guy could put it in the back seat of my '69 Riv.

Bob

Thats a cool combo, once had 68 Riviera but no B3. But what I really wanted at that time was a '72 boat tail.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

My a100 chop weighs 200lbs and has a key feel and action that, IMHO, cannot possibly be matched by a clone, even if the clone perfectly matched the tone.

The problem is more finding sufficient stage space in a full band situation. Given that constraint, I really love Nord Electro 4. But even it doesn't quite capture the shimmer of the chorus/vibrato on my chop.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Archived