Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK-3c

Bachus

Is the C/V or the Leslie that different between the Sk1 and 1c/3c models?

I have an XK3c (with lower keyboard and pedalboard) and an XK1c.

The older/heftier XK3c has some extra "authenticity" features, such as reverse-colour preset keys, dual tube overdrive, and B3-like layout, but the newer XK1c has some improvement to the chorus vibrato and Leslie.

There may be some slight difference between them in tone and feel, but I am very happy with them both (apart from the warbly chorus vibrato on the XK3c).

The SK1/SK2 (single/dual keyboard, extra voices) and XK1c (single keyboard, no extra voices) are essentially variants of the same model.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, maybe there is a XK-3d in the works. Shave a few pounds, update to the distortion and Leslie modeling, maybe some extra sounds from the Sk, drop use of CF cards and competitively priced. One can hope!

Not in this century !

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

I guess for the newprice, it would be wiser to go for a mojo...

Don't know....there are a lot of (better) options on the market nowadays.

But it seems that this "big old name" sells still a lot of boards, so no pressure on them to "update" (that means you have to buy a new XK3x) their sound engine....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

The XK3/3c has the best playing ergonomics of any clone I have played. Hammond created its own keyboard for it, and the difference between that keyboard and the Fatars used in the new SK's is dramatic.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Yes, all use a Fatar.

But in my experience (Nord, SK, UHL) they feel different.

I have no idea why, maybe different springs,

But Dave is right, the XK3c keyboard is great.

They would by and large opt for an action available in 61 or 73 keys (for the 12 reverse color preset keys) with a waterfall key shape. Most likely they are using some variation on the TP/8, but depending on what they are going for they have these to choose from,

TP/8L

TP/6LP

TP/60L

TP/60LW

TP/8HO

TP/O

TP/8S

TP/8SK

TP/9S

TP/7BA

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I read here that Nord customizes the actions for some models, changing weights or springs.

I've read that too, but I honestly believe it's a myth. I've seen from their promotional videos that they extensively test every action and calibrate them precisely for proper play on their sound engines. But that's not swapping out springs or replacing other parts for better performance. Besides, if they did actually do this, wouldn't you expect they'd come up with something that feels like the B3 or Xk-3/3c?

If Fatar would take an interest in building the right spec'd key action to get the B3 feel down, there's a decent list of clients I think that would order it for their instruments, starting with Nord, then DLQ/KeyB, Crumar, newcomers MAG and UHL. There's a lot of great players that endorse these boards or casually speak highly of them. I'd be curious to know if they think Fatar could/should improve upon the TP/8 and similar actions to bring a more authentic, but also more desirable feel.

Archived