Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK-3c

Bachus

I got a good offer for an XK-3c.. Its 4 years old..

I was not really looking for another key, but it seems like a good deal..

How does the sound hold with the newest and latest?

How is the keybed and knobs mechanically?

What does the keyboard have to offer as a daw midi controller?

How is the keybed?

Can it hold a synth keyboard directly on top on the wood?

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) It is OK. It is not the latest and greatest. I like mine because mine is paid for. :) I don't consider the C/V very good. Leslie sim is OK I guess but the Vent is way better. It is good enough for any gig. I am pretty sure it is the last clone I will buy.

2) The hardware is great.

3) DAW?... It has DIN MIDI so you can use it for DAW input. I think of it more as a live MIDI controller. I used it to control some rack synths. I would setup the MIDI templates I needed and assign them to preset keys. No USB MIDI.

4) It is great.

5) No .... unless it is a very shallow synth. 6-7" of "wood depth". If a synth overhangs too much you can't see the drawbars. You can set your Vent there. :D

If you get an XK3c and it does not come with a EXP-100F don't be a cheap ass. Get the EXP-100F. Yes it is a $230 swell pedal but it is a totally awesome swell pedal. The only one that compares to the real thing.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have the older XK-3/EXP-100F. . .

Though my 145 Leslie it is so much better that my old CX-3 though the 145.. Authentic Hammond tone, reacts like a Hammond with Hammond like events (this is important) . . though I still enjoy and play my CX-3 a lot, the Hammond like events in certain categories are not exactly as authentic on the Korg. Hard to pindown, just the way it responds is more Hammond- Like. . .(Drawbar sound interacting w/Leslie etc..)

Without the Leslie the rotor effect is wanting, the older XK-3 sim. is not that good, a bit lame!

I never liked the action 100% because it's to shallow for my hands/taste but it is a fast action and solid! You can adjust to it though . . . I prefer the key depth on my CX-3 ver. 2!

The instrument is built like a wooden tank, the other hardware is very solid!

I'll probably never let it go...It's a quality piece of gear! Recording or live with the 145 it's very good for me but I'm more a Keyboardist not an Organist!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Also if you get one you need some OLD TYPE I CF cards for backing up your settings and for loading custom tonewheel sets. The Type II cards will not fit. You may want a general purpose card reader to transfer files from a computer to the CF cards if you want to get custom tonewheels off your computer.

I will never have an EXP-100F again.

Mine shorted out where the cable goes into the pedal, and totally fried my XB-2.

I've been using an FC-7. While not perfect, it does the job, and safely. I have been thinking about going to the EXP-50 (or EXP-20)

Lately I've been using the internal Leslie sim. In a church setting, it works great. Now that I have my SK2 the XK-3C will stay in the church setting (belongs to the church), but in a blues/rock setting I did prefer it going though the vent.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

It wouldn't be my choice. The main drawbacks ( my opinion) would be the quality of the leslie simulation and the chorus vibrato. Not to mention the weight.

Hammond Suzuki has some very stiff competition coming out of Europe these days, where interest in re creating the tonewheel sound seems to be at a very high level.

CEB covered it well.

Regarding look & feel, controls, action: of all the clonewheels I've tried (most of the single-manual clonewheels, plus Nord C2), it far and away replicates the feeling of playing the real beast best.

The biggest practical disadvantage to the XK3c is its weight. Also, I'd want it to be a top board of a 2-tier rig, or have plenty of space above it in a 3-tier setup, to provide access to the controls.

While not the latest/bestest Hammon & Leslie sim, it's a pretty damn terrific one. I get a lot of compliments on the sound of my old Nord Electro 2, and an instant of playing reveals to me that the XK3c is significantly better and much more like the real thing. Furthermore, you can tweak the tonewheel sets, or better yet, get a tonewheel set from Jim Alfredson, so it sounds as much like his favorite beast as possible. (I haven't played Jim's tonewheels, but I've heard his recordings and they're proof enough for me.) CEB says the Leslie sim is "OK", but it's a good bit better than my NE2 and at least as good as Native Instruments B4, and through a good PA they both can sound great.

My point here is that the bar for "best" is very high, and even the "OK" stuff is pretty frickin' amazing. I'd have killed to have stuff like this back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, and super happy to have it now.

If I had an XK3c, it'd be my controller of choice to play VB3 in the (home) studio. I'd be interested to find which of the two I preferred for sound.

I'm a hobbyist, and though I grew up occasionally playing Hammonds, I've never owned one. I did play one just last week, though, and as much as I loved playing it, there were a few moments where I missed the NE2!

If it's a really good offer, meaning you could turn around and sell it for only a small loss, I say grab it and enjoy, if it's not too heavy for your purposes. Meanwhile you can consider other options. The XK3c is good enough that it'll hold a base value as a pro stage organ. I'd be surprised to see them routinely going for much under $1800 in the next 5 years.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a used one a few years back from GC that was in mint condition....with a case for around $1000.

It is heavy, and it sounds like the newer boards have a better leslie (can't offer an opinion there myself)...but man it sure felt great. I loved the keys and it just had a vibe about it.

I've been contemplating the XK-3c often lately. My local shop has one on the showroom floor and I play it often. It just feels great. The action feels right, the drawbars, switches, buttons, all really good. And I think it sounds great. Leslie, ok maybe the vent is better, but that's a common complaint across all the clone wheels at the moment.

At the same time, if the XK-3c is going to take the 2nd tier over my 88k weighted, it's going to have to function as a controller for more than just organ. In that respect, I think it is also a decent controller. Pitch and mod wheels, one touch recall, ability to send program change data. All pluses.

It's not cheap at $2895, nor light. But I suppose it wouldn't be as the SK1 and XK-1c I am sure are less to produce. I'm sort of hoping for an XK-3d, but I'm not sure if that is in the works or not. On the other hand, tweaking the Leslie on the 3C could be as easy as a firmware update. Current users would be happy, and it wouldn't require a design change - just prolong sales of the same model.

If I found a deal on one, as you seem to have, I would snatch it up.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

$2,895 blows me away. I bought my XK3c new for $2,086 w/ free shipping. Usually new digital boards go down in price as you go through the product life cycle.

I love my XK3c - even the C/V :) Its a lot of fun to play, very hands on and sounds good on recordings (I use Jim's tonewheel set). I use the pedal bass channel as a quick bass tone or something to fatten up other bass sounds. Contrary to the constant grumbling about the leslie with a few adjustment it's very useable but I'm seriously thinking about picking up a Vent II primarily for the overdrive options. My only gripe was the fast leslie switch crapped out when the warranty expired and Hammond wants $150 for the half-moon switch. The gas pedal is highly recommended and eventually I will get a pedalboard for this beast.

A 2nd set of bars is actually a pretty big deal to me. You can be pulling your next registration while playing the current one. I also really like the form factor. I can bring both manuals or I can just bring one and ride it over an 88. The one down side is my bottom manual looks mint. The top looks pretty beat up now.

Yep, the reverse key presets, second set of draw bars, and the pitch and mod for external MIDI. Currently too expensive compared to the XK1c and SK1, $1395 and $1895 respectively. Conundrum. Unless, OP has found an amazing deal.

To be honest, apart from the preset keys and second set of drawbars, the SK1/XK1-c represent far better value for money these days.

I have just the xk1C and have been pining for a second manual. Since that is what I already have, I've wondered whether I should just purchase a second xk1c. I would be seriously tempted if I could be persuaded that I could position the two boards nearly on top of one another.

I love mine and wouldn't sell it.

Couldn't care less about value for money.

The Leslie emulator is OK but thats the same for most built in Leslie enulators.

Through my MotionSound Pro145 it is brilliant and stands up to the real deal - I had a T102 and it was at least as good.

The later models (SK1/2 etc) don't have the same quality feel as the XK3c - that said I have an SK2 and love it for what it is.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Yep, the reverse key presets, second set of draw bars, and the pitch and mod for external MIDI. Currently too expensive compared to the XK1c and SK1, $1395 and $1895 respectively. Conundrum. Unless, OP has found an amazing deal.

I got one offered for under 1000 but its 4 years old... which sounds like a bargain to me.. it just seems a perfect fit on top of any stage piano and then putting my Novation zero Sl mkii on top of the wooden top... as soundsource i would be mostly using mainstage and VSTs..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

First of all it's not that heavy, it's a good thing because the thing is solid. Second this keyboard never got the love it probably should have, at that time 2008, there were less forum members and not a lot of love for Hammond products. The same people, some of who are not here anymore, bashed it. Anything in Europe should hardly come into the equation because half the time you can't buy them here in the USA off the shelf. Don't worry about Hammond-Suzuki they will be fine.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Interesting that people feel it's too heavy to gig with at 43 lbs. Granted, the closest recent alternatives are:

Nord Electro 5D 73 is 20.28 lbs

Hammond SK1 73 is 21 lbs

But I gig with my S90ES @ 49.6 lbs. And even recent alternatives are:

Nord Stage 2 88k is 41lbs

Yamaha CP4 is 38.5 lbs

Roland RD800 is over 47 lbs

So I guess it's a matter of whether or not the form and function/build and feel are what you enjoy to play on. My 4 year old 40 lbs, and I still enjoy carrying her around. Haha.

To be honest, apart from the preset keys and second set of drawbars, the SK1/XK1-c represent far better value for money these days.

I have just the xk1C and have been pining for a second manual. Since that is what I already have, I've wondered whether I should just purchase a second xk1c. I would be seriously tempted if I could be persuaded that I could position the two boards nearly on top of one another.

By the way, at the forum Jim Alfredson posts at, I asked what second keyboard would be a good choice for me, noting that I owned the xk1C and really wanted a solution where the two keyboards would be very close. He said that my best bet, currently, would still be the Sk2 (even though I also said I didn't care about the extra voices). He also suggested that I wait until this summer's NAMM, just in case Hammond offers something new. It kind of made me wonder whether he has any inside information.

Interesting...

A few things I guess...

You can get a Mojo for $2359 including shipping.

It's 37.5 lbs, but it's dual manual so a little larger to carry and takes up more space in your car and rig. Servicing the unit in the US is a pain. The LCD editor is a separate device and purchase.

Hey, maybe there is a XK-3d in the works. Shave a few pounds, update to the distortion and Leslie modeling, maybe some extra sounds from the Sk, drop use of CF cards and competitively priced. One can hope!

I don't think it's all that heavy. I just need to make sure that with my 2 tier Z-stand I place the MM8 first, so the stand doesn't tip from the weight.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Ill chime in here for a minute. I currently own a B3, an sk2 and an xk3c/xlk. I played a gig last week using my Rhodes mk1, with the xk3c sitting on top running into an original vent / SSV / DXR10. I couldn't have been happier. I didn't realize how much I missed the second set of drawbars till the gig. Yeah, the xk3 is a bit heavy ( but its not that bad ), the chorus warbles badly through the vent ( but it sounds fantastic and authentic through a 147 or 122 Leslie ) , but it is a solid instrument, and I think it will outlast the new plastic's sk / xk1c for gigging. I firmly believe it will be a sought after board in years to come, it IS the closest I can come to "feeling" like I'm playing my B3.

As for the key action , its great , but I changed the trigger point to be deep rather than shallow, makes a big difference. To be honest, I was looking at an xk1c to use with the Korg SV1 , and a deal came along I couldn't refuse for the xk3c with the bottom manual, probably paid less for both than most pay for just the xk3c. I was Gassing pretty bad for a Key-B , but with all the fiasco with the USA side of things, I changed my mind. Im about to do some tube changing today and see how that goes. Honestly , the xk3c through a real Leslie ( I use a speakeasy pre amp ) is about as authentic as Ive heard anywhere, somehow ballsier than the sk2.....ducking ! . Also, the "extra voices " are useable, its just a cpl of clavs and a cpl of EP's, but the clav with a wah, some tube OD through the vent stopped is a pretty darn good noise !

I don't think I would go out and buy a new one though, it seems very recently theres a lot more options coming ....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

.....and, I really wish companys would still offer support and updates for boards that are still being sold as new boards. This goes for the xk3c, as well as my Korg SV-1, don't abandon us !

Now, if they could do an xk2c, xk1c with second manual, and a second set of drawbars and pedal bars, under 40lbs, I would be in in a NY minute....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

.....and, I really wish companys would still offer support and updates for boards that are still being sold as new boards. This goes for the xk3c, as well as my Korg SV-1, don't abandon us !

They can. Korg seems to have taken more of a platform approach with the Kronos. Offering software updates across the line whether first version, X, or most recent model in production.

Regarding one of the OP's concerns: Here I'm perching a 13 inch deep synth on the top of the XK-3c with assist of a wooden dowel wrapped in foam pipe insulation (Home Depot) layed along the top rear of the XK-3C. This gives it stability and leans the weight of the synth forward while tilting it to better see the LCD.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/Markyboard/P1010532_zps0xdnkalo.jpg

Jim (Alfredson) said that he feels the Leslie sim on the xk3c is excellent - even compared to the vent, and I agree with him.

I own an xk3c, a vent, and a real Leslie. The sim, Vent, and real Leslie all sound slightly different, but the only one with the REAL advantage is the real Leslie.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Here is how long the XK-3c has been knocking around in comparison to the rest of the line. XK-1c is the newest of the lot. And yet, in A/B comparison when tweaked (as Jim Alfredson often does), it's hard to tell them apart, don't you think? Is the C/V or the Leslie that different between the Sk1 and 1c/3c models?

XK1: 2005-2011

XK3: 2004-2007

XK3c: 2007-present

SK1/SK2: 2011-present

XK1c: 2013-present

Was digging around the Hammond site today, and stumbled on this.

http://hammondorganco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/XM2_sm1.jpg

XM-2 / XM-C2

Apparently it was an XK-1 in rack with a drawbar controller. Heh.

I missed this one entirely. Still floating around?

Any of you guys have one?

Archived