Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nektar panorama P6 keyboard action?

Bachus

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played for a little while at NAMM. It felt and responded much better than I expected, going by the flimsy look.

And aftertouch.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

+1 to DBAN. Thought it would be great and almost ordered one based upon my sweetwater reps recommendation. GC in Baton Rouge had one on the floor. It was average to slightly below average action IMO. Only midi controllers sold new that I have liked are the Novation SL MKII and the Roland A Pro series.

Thats what i was affraid of, i do really like the software daw integration of this board.. Whats your background? Piano or synth action? I agree with you on the Novation, i really liked it, and still wondering why i ever sold it.

Maybe i should consider the P1, which is actually a P4 witouth keys, wheels, drumpads and motorized fader.. But the software integration of these boards is just awesome...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

I've got one I use in my home studio. I would categorize the action as "fine", as in it's not great, but it's not bad. It's just "fine." The keys are semi-weighted which work surprisingly well when playing piano parts. I find that when I'm playing it I don't notice the action. I also haven't found that the action limits my playing.

If I were to rate it solely on the action it would be average, but it's more than made up for by the fact that the controller integrates so well with Cubase and Reason. Plus the customer support is top notch. I think it's a good compromise, particularly for studio work.

Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

I've got one I use in my home studio. I would categorize the action as "fine", as in it's not great, but it's not bad. It's just "fine." The keys are semi-weighted which work surprisingly well when playing piano parts. I find that when I'm playing it I don't notice the action. I also haven't found that the action limits my playing.

If I were to rate it solely on the action it would be average, but it's more than made up for by the fact that the controller integrates so well with Cubase and Reason. Plus the customer support is top notch. I think it's a good compromise, particularly for studio work.

I am planning to use it on top of an 88 key piano action key... Still not decided on, its mostly needed for the controllers and fast synth and organ passages, and the aftertouch..

Going to use it in combination with Mainstage, logic and live.. Still hoping they will add live support to the software one day...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• 1 year later...
the black keys don't like to respond without extra effort

Really ? I was planning to buy one... Are the MPK261 or one of the Novation's better ?

You need to try them for yourself. Just like with audio monitors where everyone's ears are different, there's no one action fits all when it comes to keyboard controllers. You have organ players and piano players and everything in between. I would look at reviews carefully; the quality/reliability on some of these models looks very suspect.

Also you need to decide what other features are important to you (drum pads, midi control, wheels, sliders, knobs etc.).

I've read several threads re black/white key velocity issues - I never experienced a problem with these. I too intended to use it with MainStage and Logic and ended up selling the P6 - it just didn't live up to its promises IMHO. First off, the P6 is several years old, and navigating through menus is very slow. While it is possible to access most parameters in Logic, in many cases (ex. accessing synth parameters) the parameters can be spread across several screens. and not always in a logical order. some parameters were repeated, several not mapped correctly, etc. I really was excited to use the P6 to control drawbars in MS. My experience again was not great. The sliders are spaced too far apart to really grab a bunch at one time, and the data flow from P6 to MS was really slow, which may have been the cause of frequent malfunctions i.e. UI frozen until reboot P6.

All in all, it just didn't save me any time from using my mouse, I hated staring at the little screen, and I just didn't trust it to use live. I did, however, think the aftertouch was quite good.

the black keys don't like to respond without extra effort

Really ? I was planning to buy one... Are the MPK261 or one of the Novation's better ?

You need to try them for yourself. Just like with audio monitors where everyone's ears are different, there's no one action fits all when it comes to keyboard controllers. You have organ players and piano players and everything in between. I would look at reviews carefully; the quality/reliability on some of these models looks very suspect.

Also you need to decide what other features are important to you (drum pads, midi control, wheels, sliders, knobs etc.).

I will do that, thanks

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

I've read several threads re black/white key velocity issues - I never experienced a problem with these. I too intended to use it with MainStage and Logic and ended up selling the P6 - it just didn't live up to its promises IMHO. First off, the P6 is several years old, and navigating through menus is very slow. While it is possible to access most parameters in Logic, in many cases (ex. accessing synth parameters) the parameters can be spread across several screens. and not always in a logical order. some parameters were repeated, several not mapped correctly, etc. I really was excited to use the P6 to control drawbars in MS. My experience again was not great. The sliders are spaced too far apart to really grab a bunch at one time, and the data flow from P6 to MS was really slow, which may have been the cause of frequent malfunctions i.e. UI frozen until reboot P6.

All in all, it just didn't save me any time from using my mouse, I hated staring at the little screen, and I just didn't trust it to use live. I did, however, think the aftertouch was quite good.

I see... Do you have any information about the MPK261 ?

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

Archived