Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Daniel Barenboim Grand Piano

zephonic

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/5/26/1432666798342/59de49e2-553f-4b52-b7ac-09bda7f63e4b-620x372.jpeg

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/26/daniel-barenboim-reveals-radical-new-piano-design-ive-fallen-in-love-with-it

Not sure what is so radical about this, though?

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like perhaps a little more spatial separation between bass & tenor, and bass & treble. And, so perhaps less interplay of the leading excitation of those frequencies both by the soundboard, and the bouncing around in the rim. So, less blend, less 'soup', less interplay of those areas, more discrete. Probably most perceptible for softer & mid dynamic levels. If the basses sat in a row behind the tenors (or cellos), in a semi-circle, it's like lining Lows to Highs all in one line. Neat that someone's tweaking frequency-timbral spatially for subtle variations to the acoustic piano. It'll stay theoretical for me. My 19th Cent Steinway just became obsolete. Thanks for posting, zephonic.

my first reaction ...

"the straight string concept, as soon as he started to play I could hear the difference . . this could be the biggest piano innovation in over 125 years back to where some pianos were in 1875 (last one)......I like the sound, nailed! very very nice and Direct, clear toned. wow-sa"

my second..... "I wonder how it would effect the sound of modern chord voicings.. . "

I really like a little blend and cross-pan-chromatic interplay.....you'd have to play it to know....I would like to know! personally ...

but for more single note 'anything'...it's gotta be great! for the ear! man! wow-sa

yes thanks for posting that zep!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I'm surprised you guys were able to tell any difference at all from that vid. The sound quality isn't great and to me it sounds pretty similar to a regular grand.

Time will tell, I suppose.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Not sure what is so radical about this, though?

Perhaps not radical per se, just different. It seems to be more of a throwback to older pianos. Can't say I'm crazy about the plinky midrange. It doesn't sing.

I fail to see how this would make much of a difference. Only the bass in cross-strung in a piano and those strings (32 or so out of approx 230 or so) only cross over a small section of the lower tenor strings. And everything is still connected to the same acoustic amplifier / resonator (the soundboard) via bridges. So how is this an improvement again?

I saw Boganyi's piano being used in a concert in Budapest recently, really wasn't impressed by the sound, although hall acoustics and my seat position could have been factors. It's design, immo, looks like the kind of thing Liberace would have loved, stick a candlebra on it, and he would have been right at home...

What are these people searching for ? I think it's hard to improve on a Steinway D --Hamburg or NY.

Maybe different - a Fazioli 275, Boserndorfer Imperial, Bluthner, Bechstein, Yamaha CFX, Shigeru Kawai, or whatever else appeals to you..

Basically if you can't be happy, or find something you like in any of those pianosI think you're just tired of the sound of *the piano*.

Barenboim has probably played more Steinway Ds in his life then I've played gigs. Maybe it's time for him to move on to a Kronos or start working on "Blues in F". :laugh:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

What are these people searching for ? I think it's hard to improve on a Steinway D --Hamburg or NY.

I think the motivation is lots of free publicity. That is worth lots more than the few hundred k it costs to build the new piano. Anyway I am seeing Barenboim play on tuesday with his new piano so I'll be listening closely to see if I can detect any difference in the sound.

Can't say I'm crazy about the plinky midrange. It doesn't sing.

Same here. It seems lacking without the sympathetic resonance. A little to crystalline sounding.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

First of all, I think it's always good when someone new starts building acoustic pianos. It's also good when that creates a bit of a buzz about the instrument. :thu:

As far as this piano and its sound, it would be interesting to have some people compare it to others, preferably blindfolded, in the same room, and not tell them what's different about it vs. a couple of other brands. I'm sure Dave Ferris would have an opinion. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I mentioned the sympathetic string vibes of AP emulators in a local piano shop and the tech said they try to dial them out of the actual pianos much as possible, which goes against the original designers of cross stringing who list it as a pro.

Archived