Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The problem with Roland

Bachus

So who is going to give us access to todays synthesizers, they are all about processing and mostly linux based under the hood. Root access would be a first step, programming skills a seccond.

Isn't that mostly just Kronos and Krome, or have I missed something?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who is going to give us access to todays synthesizers, they are all about processing and mostly linux based under the hood. Root access would be a first step, programming skills a seccond.

The latter.

For example, Yamaha's Motif XS, Motif XF, S90XS/S70XS (and likely other) boards have all used MontaVista Linux.

Undoubtedly there are many more examples out there, but those are the first that come to mind.

The latter.

For example, Yamaha's Motif XS, Motif XF, S90XS/S70XS (and likely other) boards have all used MontaVista Linux.

Undoubtedly there are many more examples out there, but those are the first that come to mind.

Yes, Yamaha uses the SuperH processors in all their musicall instruments... The OS is indeed Montavista Linux for all of them tough, same as on the Kronos you only get access to the GUI and no Cli acces..

Kurzweil also uses Linux, also an embeded version..

I dont think any of the major company is using their own OS on the hardware, maybe someone is using VXworks, but that would not be really efficient..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

I'm thinking these latest models would be the most hackable of any. Getting access to source code is low probability. But getting other things to run or controllers added maybe possible?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

@Bachus - where did you get the information from that Kurzweil uses Linux ? That's new info to me. Until now I thought they did some hard coding for the processor(s) - DSP programming. No specific OS in between. (?)

As I wrote in the Yamaha thread, there is no incentive for Roland to come out with a feature-laden, super KB. Their current crop of KBs make $$$ and cover the bases. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

As I wrote in the Yamaha thread, there is no incentive for Roland to come out with a feature-laden, super KB. Their current crop of KBs make $$$ and cover the bases. :cool:

Roland is entering a new golden age.

The Fantom G, if people remember, did not go too well.

As an owner of a fair few Roland instruments I agree with most things said in this thread. They make some great stuff, but on many things seem to drop the ball in some area i.e; no C/V on the organ, no MFX structures on Integra and FA and not enough realtime control on Jupiters, Fantom G needed more ARX cards and an operating system overhaul which would have made a potentially great workstation incredible. I'd love to see a new Fantom with all the tech consolidated well, like a super continuation of the Fantom G, which IMHO should have been an ongoing workstation platform. The FA is good Fantom offshoot with a better sound engine, but missed a lot of great features the Fantom X and G had.

I think they are focussed at the moment on making products people will actually buy though. A lot of people want an updated Fantom or V-synth will all the bells and whistles but would anyone actually buy them? Maybe if they did that and got them perfectly right it would work, but I think they want to improve their bottom line hence all these affordable mid range synths with great sound engines but limited in other ways. I think it's working as well. It looks like the FA series, VR-09 and AIRA stuff is selling really well. The JD-Xi has had a great launch as well. They had a tough time post 2008 which maybe contributed to the Fantom series being stopped dead. It seems like they want to get back on their feet.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

we need to hear from Theo for the definitive word on the new golden age

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

we need to hear from Theo for the definitive word on the new golden age

He might not be in agreement.

My JD-xa 'Will Let the Sunshine In' I hope

I agree with your premise ,the modern Roland line is a mess...to confusing to pick one and maybe that is what they are going for.

I have to say Roland made excellent and durable products...Still have a D-50, Juno-106, and JV-880 functioning perfectly after many years.Still kicking myself for selling my SH-5 many years ago for $500...

Love my Fantom X. Saw no need to upgrade to the G and still have the X despite buying a JP-80. I'd really rather had the JP-80 sounds in the Fantom X board and interface. Glad the Aria line is selling well. I wonder how many purchasers are like me. Bought it, did not like it, set it aside. There are some strange decisions with the Aria line. Limited patch saving is the most confusing. The much proclaimed scatter effect turned out to be very limited. The range setting is 1 to 10. Usable range is about 3.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

+1 to the above post. I also still really like my fantom x6 and I also have an integra 7. Yes, I also would love to have the integra brains inside a fantom x quality keyboard, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon. For some reason, I have always preferred roland hardware. Other than a nord electro, I have owned nothing but roland keyboards since 2001 when I bought an xp10. If roland does not make another fantom type workstation I could see myself keeping the integra and pairing it with something else, maybe 61 key kurzweil. We'll see.

Glad the Aria line is selling well. I wonder how many purchasers are like me. Bought it, did not like it, set it aside. There are some strange decisions with the Aria line.

Like naming it AIRA? ;)

(I'm guessing auto-correct changed it on you, but I had to call you on it, given that you own one... sorry! :P:D )

I can't see any problems with roland products:

-They covered va(with knobs) and analog type products with recent jdxi and jdxa products,and aira system..

-my rd800 is still the best stage piano for the price in this category

-my fa 06 is incredible for the price,a real va and a real workstation..(a great bang for the buck)

Well,yes there isn't a kronos type" high level "workstation..

But i think roland offer very fun products today,with the right sound.

You have korg for kronos,nord for other type of keyboard..roland is roland.

In fact if you want a high level workstation buy the rd800 and a fa06 and you have a great set for all for less than a kronos.

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

Archived