Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hiromi steals the show

Jazz+

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every Hiromi thread is started by the same person, perpetuates the same dead-horse debate, and ends the same way.

Fixed.

yup, and I always try to not being drawn in. That being said I'll go back to sucking on my cola, which is how I feel about her jazz.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

LOL! Hiromi IS good enough for Chick Corea, Stanley Clark, Lenny White, Ahmad Jahmal, Michelle Camillo, Anthony Jackson, Simon Philips, etc... but NOT good enough for the great keyboardists known as "brettymike", "d-ban", "adan", "mate stub", etc... LOL.. she kicks all your butts!

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

LOL! Hiromi IS good enough for Chick Corea, Stanley Clark, Lenny White, Ahmad Jahmal, Michelle Camillo, Anthony Jackson, Simon Philips, etc... but NOT good enough for the great keyboardists known as "brettymike", "d-ban", "adan", "mate stub", etc... LOL.. she kicks all your butts!

Indeed. Chick's take on Hiromi...

It was a lot of fun playing with Hiromi. She has the great quality of interpreting everything she plays in her own way, and so I always felt comfortable exchanging musical phrases with her. I felt like I was exchanging with someone who had their own viewpoint about music and life. In a way she was predictably unpredictable.

LOL :D I could play that Shit if I wanted to - but I would never waste my time on it , there is much better music to play , don't care if Chick says yes :D

And BTW , one of those folks(at least) you mention from right here blows her into the weeds for enjoyable listening.

Brett

I agree. I just can't get into that flashy technique with no substance. Reminds me more of a combination of Jordan Rudess and Yanni as opposed to Joe Zawinul and Keith Jarrett.

Exactly but your not got going to convince a lot of people around here about it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I have no doubt that she can play rings around me. I never disparaged her or her technique. I merely said I don't enjoy her music. You seem to take that personally.

Moe

---

What's the point of this thread anyway? What more can be said about Hiromi that hasn't been said many times before on this forum? :idk

I started a thread recently about a less polarizing pianist (Vijay Iyer), but my intent was to foster intelligent discussion about music, not stoke a fire and bait others into berating them.

Message to Jazz+: Stop being "Troll+" with the Hiromi threads. How about starting threads about lesser known players who could actually benefit from the attention? I recall you started a thread about Lawrence Fields a while back. He's someone worth our attention and time. I'm sure there are many other younger players you could enthuse about in a manner that's not so combative. :idea:

The absence of logic in this post is staggering. Are we supposed to be fans of everyone who is, by some objective or subjective measure, a better player than us?

People can post whatever they want to (within forum rules), but I find this single-minded idolizing of Hiromi to be rather bizarre, almost to the point of suggesting a troubled mind.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Some people don't like Chick either... just saying. (not me, he was a huge influence on me when I was learning how to play).

Hiromi clearly has talent, but she lacks soul in my opinion. BB King says more with one note than she says with all her technique. Plus I don't get the over the top showmanship, it's like she's forcing it, "hey, look at me, I can play jazz and I'm having too much fun!"

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I hereby pledge to do my part in preserving KC peace and tranquility by never opening another Hiromi thread.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

BB King says more with one note than she says with all her technique.

This may be sacrilege to all involved, but I have never been able to connect with BB's solos. I have plenty of respect for slowhand players (Robin Trower is one of my favorites, and his solo on "Bridge of Sighs" is positively devastating), but BB always came off to me as noodling.

This may be sacrilege to all involved, but I have never been able to connect with BB's solos. I have plenty of respect for slowhand players (Robin Trower is one of my favorites, and his solo on "Bridge of Sighs" is positively devastating), but BB always came off to me as noodling.

Further making the point that folks like different things. It totally cool to say you like or don't like something. When you say somebody else is wrong for liking/not liking something, then you've crossed over to arrogance.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

LOL :D I could play that Shit if I wanted to

Awesome.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

ahh, I get the thread-crush thing here ... she plays jazz piano. needless to say I've never heard of her or any other great jazz pianist. I've heard of Chick Corea - he sells a sound set for my Motif, I guess he's like a synth programmer :)

she pisses me off with her little hands and wicked playing. I use small hands as (one of) my excuses for my limitations.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I really connected with Mark Knopfler's very melodic guitar work on Brothers in Arms. He makes Clapton seem like a noodler.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azMRIHIyt1Y

Moe

---

LOL :D I could play that Shit if I wanted to - but I would never waste my time on it , there is much better music to play , don't care if Chick says yes :D

And BTW , one of those folks(at least) you mention from right here blows her into the weeds for enjoyable listening.

Brett

Me too.....I could blow that girl right off the stage if I was in the mood....but I'm not :boing:

I really connected with Mark Knopfler's very melodic guitar work on Brothers in Arms. He makes Clapton seem like a noodler.

Compared to Mark, a LOT of people (Clapton included) are noodlers. I love me some Knopfler. "Sultans of Swing" is a seminal piece for anyone who would deign to learn to play the blues.

Further making the point that folks like different things. It totally cool to say you like or don't like something. When you say somebody else is wrong for liking/not liking something, then you've crossed over to arrogance.

Agreed. And, FWIW, I've engaged in more than my share of both crushing players that deserve at least a measure of respect and crushing people for doing likewise, so I'm hardly guiltless in this discussion.

I am trying to turn over a new leaf in my old age, though. Our differences in taste aren't worth my blood pressure rising, ya know? :D

Brett

Me too.....I could blow that girl right off the stage if I was in the mood....but I'm not :boing:

Blow that girl on stage :D

Brett

When you say somebody else is wrong for liking/not liking something, then you've crossed over to arrogance.

Agreed.

It's a funny thing about the net - while we often bemoan "anonymous keyboard warriors hiding behind their screens", people can't help but reveal true character through repeated interactions.

I'm not really thinking about this thread in particular, or any forum member specifically.

It just strikes me over and over again how valuable simple human kindness is, and how sometimes it can be scarce. My first response to stimuli isn't always what my mom would be proud of.

A lot of the threads on this forum would be so much more fun if the conversations were taking place face-to-face in a big keyboard studio over Lagavulin and cigars.

Brett

Blow that girl on stage :D

Brett

Is that anatomically possible? :Python:

Archived